• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mango Prep and Tools: How Do You Prep a Mango?

chrish1

I picked up some nice ripe mangoes the other day. They were very fragrent and tasty, however, I absolutely butchered the darn things while attempting to separate the flesh from the stone. Any tips for next time?

Hold the mango on end with the stem pointing up. Look down on it and you will see that it is fatter in one direction than the other. Since the seed is flat, you can tell that it runs parallel to the longer axis. Now get a very sharp knife, start at the stem and cut down to the board from top to bottom just against the flat part of the seed. You will be able to feel it with the edge of the knife. Voila. One half of a mango without a seed. Turn and do the other side leaving the seed by itself, then take off the little ring of flesh remaining. Score the cut off sides like you would an avocado (down to the skin), push up in the mango skin to flip out the fruit, you sort of turn it inside out, then you can cut it from the skin. Or you can just peel it. It's much easier to peel when it is off the seed.

Does that make sense?

-Linda

I picked up some nice ripe mangoes the other day. They were very fragrent and tasty, however, I absolutely butchered the darn things while attempting to separate the flesh from the stone. Any tips for next time?

The cover of the current issue of Saveur is devoted to all things mango. They have step-by-step instructions with photos of exactly how to dismantle one of those luscious things as well as resources for obtaining a wide variety of mangoes each with its own taste profile.

Enjoy!

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My husband devised a quite different method, for when you want to eat the mango with a spoon out of the flesh.

Cut around the middle of the mango crosswise -- not following the seed. Now hold both ends (or top and bottom, and twist in opposite directions as if opening a jar. Voila! One half of the manog will pop off without the seed, and you can use a paring knife to trim the seed out of the other half.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

My husband devised a quite different method, for when you want to eat the mango with a spoon out of the flesh.

Cut around the middle of the mango crosswise -- not following the seed. Now hold both ends (or top and bottom, and twist in opposite directions as if opening a jar. Voila! One half of the manog will pop off without the seed, and you can use a paring knife to trim the seed out of the other half.

I've heard about this before I still dont believe that it can be done, I heard about from a chef who provided the mangoes, he tried and never could replicate this, he reckoned it only worked with certain varietys!(Whenever I've tried I just end up with mango puree)

Another way is to cut wedges out, two cuts opposite angles and pop the wedge out then just run the knife next to the skin to remove it, perfect wedges and the sweeteness next to the skin with the mango not the skin.

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

I've heard about this before I still dont believe that it can be done, I heard about from a chef who provided the mangoes, he tried and never could replicate this, he reckoned it only worked with certain varietys!(Whenever I've tried I just end up with mango puree)

Another way is to cut wedges out, two cuts opposite angles and pop the wedge out then just run the knife next to the skin to remove it, perfect wedges and the sweeteness next to the skin with the mango not the skin.

We do it all the time. It works with Hadens and Tommy Atkins, which are the most widely available varieties here. Haven't tried it on some of the others.

(Believe it or not, there are at least 143 varieties of mangoes, as depicted in this poster!)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

That is an exceedingly cool link, SuzySushi. I knew there were lots of varieties of mangos but this poster really brings it home.

Mangoes are fascinating becase there are so many types and even when wthin one type, the degree of ripeness affects the taste so much.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That is an exceedingly cool link, SuzySushi. I knew there were lots of varieties of mangos but this poster really brings it home.

Mangoes are fascinating becase there are so many types and even when wthin one type, the degree of ripeness affects the taste so much.

then there are the "chausa" (sucking) mango varieties in india:

you don't peel or anything.

bite a hole in the top, massage the mango until the flesh

liquefies, and suck out through the top.....

milagai

• 1 month later...

Oxo has come out with a new device to separate mango pulp from their seeds. Here's a Quicktime Movie showing it in use.

Has anyone tieed this yet? I am not quite sure how it would deal with differrent sized mangos with different sized seeds. They purport that it leaves essentially no pulp on the seed.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

From looking at the Quicktime movie, I don't think it does a better job than I do with ease.  But thanks, that was interesting.

I couldn't load the Quicktime program but got the Windows Media vesion. It didn't appear that it got the mango seed any cleaner than I do, either. I would like to see it in reality to better judge.

I saw a similar tool at W-S recently. It did the same thing, plus removed the skin. I did not see it in action and thought it might remove too much pulp both at the seed and next to the skin. Has anyone used one of these?

I would see one of these tools as potentially useful for most people only if you need to do a large quantity of Mangos.

This would be fabulous for kids. My 11 year old stepsister loves mangoes and will eat 2 or 3 a day. I cringe everytime I see her using a knife for one and I just know she's going to slice her finger one day. And since she always sucks the pulp off the seeds absolutely nothing would go to waste with her. I think this is going to be her Christmas present this year.

This would be fabulous for kids.  My 11 year old stepsister loves mangoes and will eat 2 or 3 a day.  I cringe everytime I see her using a knife for one and I just know she's going to slice her finger one day.  And since she always sucks the pulp off the seeds absolutely nothing would go to waste with her.  I think this is going to be her Christmas present this year.

Great idea! I was thinking of most adults when I posted. It would also be useful for people with any disability that would make using a regular knife either awkward or dangerous.

There was a blurb about this new gadget in the NY Times Magazine today. I'm not much for extra tools in the kitchen, but I'm wondering if this thing really works. Not all mangoes have the same size seed, so I could see that being a bit of a problem.

http://www.thegadgetsource.com/719812014579.html

I think this would be a great tool for kids as mentioned above or for those with arthritis or were otherwise unable to handle a slippery object and a knife. In fact, I'm thinking of getting one for a friend who has arthritis.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

It looks like you have to exert considerable pressure on the mango to make the splitter go through. The mango in the movie looked rather firm. I wonder how a soft ripe mango would come out?

Splorch?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host