• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham Biscuits

Megan Blocker

Can anyone help with this?

I was in Lynchburg, VA for a bridal shower this weekend. I am a bridesmaid in my Lynchburgian friend's wedding, and her mother's friends threw her a lovely "kitchen" shower.

For lunch, which was delightfully Southern, we had chicken salad, tomato aspic, cucumber sandwiches, and the BEST ham biscuits. OK, they were my first ham biscuits, but everyone else said they were exceptionally good, so I assume they were strong specimens.

They were tiny (maybe 1 inch across) and light as a feather, with the requsite thin-sliced Virgina ham in the middle.

Some of the ladies speculated that they might have been "angel" biscuits...does anyone have a recipe for biscuits that sound something like this? I am throwing the NY shower, and would love to have a plate of these to add some Southern flavor to the proceedings.

Thanks!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Can anyone help with this?

They were tiny (maybe 1 inch across) and light as a feather, with the requsite thin-sliced Virgina ham in the middle.

Thanks!

Were they square, by chance? If they were, I think that I know the answer.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I use this recipe for my Ham Biscuits with Peach Chutney....

2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

4 teaspoons baking powder

Stir together to combine. Stir in heavy cream to make a stiff dough. Pat out on floured board and cut to desired shape/size. Bake in a 400 degree oven until done - time will depend on size of biscuit, of course. :smile:

No substitutions for the heavy cream, btw! Otherwise you just end up with hardtack.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Here was another recent discussion about "angel" biscuits with more info in that link:

"Angel Biscuits, Looking for this childhood favorite"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't think that they were homemade, but I could be completely wrong. As a veteran of about a million of these events I can safely say that nine out of ten times these days (no matter the age of the organizers, either) those little biscuits come from one of a couple of commercial sources. If they were square, I would almost bet on it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I don't think that they were homemade, but I could be completely wrong. As a veteran of about a million of these events I can safely say that nine out of ten times these days (no matter the age of the organizers, either) those little biscuits come from one of a couple of commercial sources. If they were square, I would almost bet on it.

They were round...from a caterer, which is why I couldn't get the recipe then and there!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've found that any good homemade buttermilk biscuit works nicely, don't skimp on the butter in the biscuit dough.

More important is the texture of the ham. Some folks just slice right off whatever country ham they have, or use packaged ham. To get the best texture and flavor (not so dry and salty) take the time to wash the ham a couple of times, then soak it overnight. Change the water and soak it overnight again if you're so inclined. Then braise the ham in barely simmering water for several hours until it is tender. This is a common way to do it, but it yields less salty, very tender ham slices (as thin as you can cut them).

And butter the biscuits a bit when you put the ham on.

like what has been said in previous posts, they probably were angel biscuits, which are 'triple' risen; meaning they use baking powder, baking soda, and yeast as leaveners. They also include shortening as well as butter. I personally can't stand shortening, so I replace it with equal amount of lard, which contributes to the lightness. Also, using White Lily flour will ensure an un-leaden biscuit.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."