• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining before Tweeter Center concert

fido dido

Hi,

I'm going to a concert at the Tweeter center this weekend and was wondering about a good place in the area to get dinner beforehand. Something around the $$/$$$ rating or below would be nice. Susanna Foo looked interesting, but much too expensive and maybe too much of an event. We were looking for a nice place to eat and explore without any "event dining" pressure. I'm not familiar with the area, so I have no idea how to go about choosing. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm going to a concert at the Tweeter center this weekend and was wondering about a good place in the area to get dinner beforehand.  Something around the $$/$$$ rating or below would be nice.  Susanna Foo looked interesting, but much too expensive and maybe too much of an event.  We were looking for a nice place to eat and explore without any "event dining" pressure.  I'm not familiar with the area, so I have no idea how to go about choosing.  Thanks!

The Tweeter Center is in Camden NJ so you won't have any event dining pressure at Susanna Foo as it is in the 1600 block on Walnut Street in Philly.

I have been there numerous times and can highly recommend it but the price may be closer to $$$$ than $$$ dependng on what you order.

You really could eat anywhere in the city and take the riverboat from Penns Landing over to Camden/Tweeter Center. It's $6 roundtrip.

Hi,

I'm going to a concert at the Tweeter center this weekend and was wondering about a good place in the area to get dinner beforehand.  Something around the $$/$$$ rating or below would be nice.  Susanna Foo looked interesting, but much too expensive and maybe too much of an event.  We were looking for a nice place to eat and explore without any "event dining" pressure.  I'm not familiar with the area, so I have no idea how to go about choosing.  Thanks!

Sagami is good sushi and is very close to the waterfront where you are going. Dining across the way in Philly is easy enough as it is just a bridge trip from Camden. So much to choose from - if you can narrowing it down more that would help! Its like saying I am going to NYC where should I eat. cheesesteaks, real dining, ethnic....?

If you are new to Philly, I would suggest a good cheesteak. It's really the city for it!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Yes, sorry, Evan. There are a few more delimeters - I can't eat dairy, so cheesesteaks are kinda out of the question. :P And my companion doesn't like sushi (which would've been my first choice!). We both really enjoy wine and seafood and latin american food though! I've been to Philly once before recently, and went to Morimoto. Very innovative and definitely enjoyable, but for just good, solid sashimi, New York can't be beat. There was one type of mackerel sashimi I tried at Morimoto that was outstanding though...

And I didn't know that about the riverboat, Jeff. Great suggestion, thanks!

Edited by fido dido (log)

Fork (3/Market) is a pleasant option, maybe a 10-min walk to the ferry. Similar distance is Panorama (Front/Market -- in the Penn's View Inn), with nice Italian fare and a 120-bottle Cruvinet. Both should meet your dietary and budgetary requirements.

Edited to add a plug for my friend Jen Keck (ex-Fork) and her Society Hill Hotel restaurant (3/Chestnut), serving good, bistro-ish food.

Edited by cinghiale (log)

Yes, sorry, Evan.  There are a few more delimeters - I can't eat dairy, so cheesesteaks are kinda out of the question.  :P  And my companion doesn't like sushi (which would've been my first choice!).  We both really enjoy wine and seafood and latin american food though!  I've been to Philly once before recently, and went to Morimoto.  Very innovative and definitely enjoyable, but for just good, solid sashimi, New York can't be beat.  There was one type of mackerel sashimi I tried at Morimoto that was outstanding though...

And I didn't know that about the riverboat, Jeff.  Great suggestion, thanks!

I just thought of a really nice place close to the waterfront on South Street. It's called Primavera and has always been quite good (although I haven't been in a while) It's at South and 2nd and it used to be owned by the same folks who own Monte Carlo Living Room next door. I heard it's the same kitchen but food is half the cost at Primavera. Maybe some others could comment on whether it's still good or not.

Jeff

Any of the above recommendations are good, I would second Fork recommendation. If your thinking about taking the ferry to Tweeter (which is an excellent suggestion, btw), here's the website for more information:

http://riverlinkferry.org/expressservice.html

Another suggestion which is in Old City (area near Ferry departure) is Kabul (2nd and Chestnut) for excellent Afghani food. It's also BYOB and a few blocks away from the ferry. There's alot of good choices near the ferry, just do a search on places that are in Old City. Oh, wait, I forgot about Moshulu. Moshulu is a boat moored in Philadelphia that serves great food and wine. A few blocks on the river from the ferry. You can park at Moshulu, eat dinner, walk along river and catch the ferry.

Have fun!

Yes, sorry, Evan.  There are a few more delimeters - I can't eat dairy, so cheesesteaks are kinda out of the question.  ...

No problem, just order the 'steak' only, here that's called 'without' (meaning you order your cheesesteak without cheese, cheese whiz that is). Or if your here on Saturday, stop by Tony DiNic's (in Reading Terminal, which is a suggestion to visit anyway) for the 'unofficial' (how can we get that voted?) Philly Sandwich, Roast Pork with Greens (of course, no cheese for you, but the sharp provolone is great).

Yes, sorry, Evan.  There are a few more delimeters - I can't eat dairy, so cheesesteaks are kinda out of the question.  ...

No problem, just order the 'steak' only, here that's called 'without' (meaning you order your cheesesteak without cheese, cheese whiz that is).

Careful, you're going to accidentally poison our lactose-intolerant friend! At almost all cheesesteak stands, the "with" or "without" refers to onions, not cheese. Cheese is indicated by "cheese". As in, "Cheese wid" or "Whiz wid" or "provelone widout"

However, you will not need to know this terminology at Fork. Although it can't hurt.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Have you considered eating in Collingswood, NJ (I'd recommend Tortilla Press)? You can take the PATCO high speed line into Camden then the Riverlink trolley/train right to the Tweeter Center entrance.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Fido, going to the Coldplay concert? I'll be there, however the only dining I'll be doing will most likely be a hoagie or sandwich to go from somewhere in the Olde City/ Center City area. Haven't narrowed it down yet though. Suggestions anyone?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Fido, going to the Coldplay concert? I'll be there, however the only dining I'll be doing will most likely be a hoagie or sandwich to go from somewhere in the Olde City/ Center City area. Haven't narrowed it down yet though. Suggestions anyone?

Campo's at 214 Market Street. It got the coveted 5 grease stain rating from Holly Moore. They make a mean hoagie or cheesesteak too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yep! Coldplay concert it is! We've got lawn seating...hopefully the weather will be cooperative. Has anyone tried smuggling their own beverages/wine into the Tweeter center? i was looking at their web site when we first got the tickets a few months ago and they have a very Nazi rule about the size and number of water bottles that people are allowed to bring!!! I have a nifty insulted wine bag that I had been planning on toting along, you see....Since then, it seems Tweeter has changed their policy, and NO beverages or lawn chairs are allowed. They used to let you bring your own.

Oops...forgot to comment on the cheesetake terminology - I think if we end up going, I'll just play it safe and speak like the out-of-towner that I am. "No cheese, please!"

Edited by fido dido (log)

Yep!  Coldplay concert it is!  We've got lawn seating...hopefully the weather will be cooperative.  Has anyone tried smuggling their own beverages/wine into the Tweeter center?  i was looking at their web site when we first got the tickets a few months ago and they have a very Nazi rule about the size and number of water bottles that people are allowed to bring!!!  I have a nifty insulted wine bag that I had been planning on toting along, you see....Since then, it seems Tweeter has changed their policy, and NO beverages or lawn chairs are allowed.  They used to let you bring your own.

I have seen the security be very tight and search every bag, creating a pile of beer cans, water bottles, etc at the entrance. They even told us we could not bring in a blanket, but saw others with blankets. I would say it is highly unlikely that you can bring in any food or drink.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I thought I'd follow up on this thread...we got to Philly at an odd hour and parked across town, so we ended up having a really late lunch (or a really early dinner) at Peitro's on Walnut. Quite nice; their salads were impressive, but having just come from Joe's Pizza in the Village, it made for a very high bar to compete against. We did walk past Fork and Fork, etc., though, and both looked very tempting. Oh well, next time.

As an FYI, regarding seating and bringing stuff into the Tweeter Center, we ended up bringing nothing but keys and gum and rented the chairs, but there were plenty of people who brought drinks, blankets, and snack foods.

Thanks for everyone's input!