• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick ripening method for Mangoes?

ejebud

Quick ripening method for mangoes? Does the old paper bag trick work here?"

Yup. Or Indian food expert Madhur Jaffrey swears by wrapping the mangoes in several layers of newspaper and leaving them in a warm-room-temperature spot.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

And frankly, even if they are a bit green, they'll still taste terrific in a salsa. So stop worrying.

In fact, I even prefer them that way, myself.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

actaully the best way i have foudn to hasten the ripening of most fruits went u want them within a couple of days is to put them in a brown paper bag..seal it...and walk away...in a couple of days or so they will be ripe

a recipe is merely a suggestion

A little late in replying to this post but I would give it the yoghurt treatment to speed up the process. High humidity and a median temperature of 20 deg will do the job. In short an oven with a pilot lamp is ideal and if your climate is dry, keep a small cup of water also.

I agree with Jaymes about slightly raw mangoes being ideal for salsa. Apply salt to the chopped mangoes to leach out some juices for the salsa 'dressing'.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com