• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making a wedding cake topper

cakedecorator1968

Hi Everybody,

I have a friend getting married in a couple of weeks and I'm making the wedding cake. They are into body building and are searching for a traditional bride-groom cake topper but want the little couple to be fitness figures instead.

Any ideas where they could find a plastic fitness themed cake topper?

OR, Any ideas on how I could for example-buy a man and woman muscular plastic action figures from a toy store and create my own chocolate mold?

I assume making a man and woman from chocolate plastic or sugar paste would be a huge undertaking!

Comments please,

Thank you!

I know theres a couple cake decorators that make custom cake toppers that they sell independently of the cake. But something custom due in a couple weeks..........would probably exclude that option. But it can't hurt to check.

For some reason the name Rebbeca Stubberly (I think I've got the last name spelled wrong) comes to mind as a decorator who makes cute cake toppers. Can someone help me out with that name and a link to her site?

I think you might have an easier time hand shaping those figures then finding a mold and getting it shipped out to you in time. A couple weeks is last minute at this time of year for cake decorators........so you need to make some decisions now.

My suggestion is to try something like this. It is available at Hobby Lobby, Michael's and the big craft stores. In that same area of the store you'll find helpful books and molds. Maybe something like that would be helpful. I mean you will need to add your imagination, but you can totally do this. And make several at a time--use your best ones.

Good Luck!

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I may be getting a little crazy here but what about the guys on top of trophies? You may even be able to use one of the molds the trophy folks use (if any of the trophy shops actually make their own guys).

Most places require about 6 weeks' notice, but reenicakes.com could probably do it in a pinch. Her topper prices are reasonable (in fact, TOO reasonable!... I've told her many times to up her prices) and they look great.

For some reason the name Rebbeca Stubberly (I think I've got the last name spelled wrong) comes to mind as a decorator who makes cute cake toppers. Can someone help me out with that name and a link to her site?

Here is a note from Rebecca;

Hello,

Someone sent me the link to the discussion about cake toppers on eGullet. Thanks for thinking of me. I actually do crystal monogram toppers. There's a gal in Ohio who does them, though. She used to do cakes (and was very talented), but she's also a former art teacher and has started doing the toppers instead: http://www.weddingcakes-cleveland.com/ Hope this helps.

Rebecca Sutterby

http://www.SugarCreations.com

http://www.CrystalMonograms.com

You might want to look into dental alginate to form the negative for your chocolate figurines (GI-Joes for whatever as the model)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Here's another link to custom wedding toppers:

Right Brain Creations

I do custom cake toppers too. I use modeling chocolate if the bride and groom want an edible

topper, or I use Super Sculpey if they want a keepsake topper.

I've thought about abandoning cakes to make toppers too, but I like doing cakes too much to

give that part up.

I did a topper a couple of months ago of bride and groom kitties with their tails together forming a

heart. The cake was covered with purple pawprints.......cute! :wub:

Silly me.....here's a pic.....

kittycake.jpg

just a quick note on the dental alginate front...if u go that route u want to make darn sure they are mercury free....we tend to think of that sort of stuff that is used for fillings to be made of silve and its really not..only a small fraction is and mercury was widely used in the past and to some extent still is... though the dental industry is making some sort of progress in that direction...owever id still make inquiries about it if u choose to use dental alginate..even if u woul donly be using it for a cake topper or perhaps use it as a mold..the effects of the mercury would still seep into it....

i read an article a couple of months ago that someone had given to me that talked about why many women feel so tired without knowing why...and the article did mention the mercury thing and also mentioned dental alginate..so i took the time to reseach it online and found out more than i ever wanted to know..while in small doses it wont kill u ....it certainly isnt healthy either...and when u start talking about the possibility of using it for a cake topper in some way...it does pay to ask questions

a recipe is merely a suggestion