• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Lunch Spot in Center City PHL?

nhconner

Can any one reccomend a romantic with great food lunch spot that is open on Saturday in the Center City Rittenhouse. I am going to go to the Fountain if I dont get another sugestion, but I have been there a number of times and would like to find something new. Most spots seem to be closed or dinner only. Anything is game and a big meal is not a problem as we are going to Lacroix for a late dinner, I like their portions, but have learned not to come starving.

Thanks,

Nate

Can any one reccomend a romantic with great food lunch spot that is open on Saturday in the Center City Rittenhouse.  I am going to go to the Fountain if I dont get another sugestion, but I have been there a number of times and would like to find something new.  Most spots seem to be closed or dinner only.  Anything is game and a big meal is not a problem as we are going to Lacroix for a late dinner, I like their portions, but have learned not to come starving.

Thanks,

Nate

I'd recommend lunch at LaCroix at the Rittenhouse Hotel, or for less stuffy/expensive and more casual, Caribou Cafe at 11th & Walnut.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll agree with Katie on Caribou...nice for lunch you can get a cozy booth, Rouge is alway a nice choice for lunch though not exactly romantic the people watching should set you up with lots to talk about at dinner, Tria is open for lunch as well.

sadly there are not too many places open for Lunch on the weekends here esp taht are romantic..

but oooh heres an idea picnics are romantic, why not pop over to dibrunos pick up some cheeses, pates and other delites, go over to the farmers market on the square grab some fruit, its a quick jaunt over to the state store on 19th & chestnut they should have something decent chilled, pour whatever that is in to a thermos find a grasyy spot and have a picnic ?

You could go to Rittenhouse or for a less populated spot theres a park on 25th & spruce that has a really nice community garden you can look at

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

but oooh heres an idea picnics are romantic, why not pop over to dibrunos pick up some  cheeses, pates and other delites, go over to the farmers market on the square grab some fruit, its a quick jaunt over to the state store on 19th & chestnut they should have something decent chilled, pour whatever that is in to a thermos find a grasyy spot and have a picnic ?

I recall just reading about a picnic basket special being offered by Smith & Wollensky ... or is it McCormick & Schmicks (they all blur together to me!) that sounded wonderful. $55 for a multi-course menu for two, packaged to go with plates, cloth napkins, etc.

Add some wine or sparking lemonade and you're all set!

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Continental Midtown is an option. Very casual with good food.

I thought the original poster said romantic.

I think both Continentals are a hell of a lot of fun (though the one in Old City gets awfully crowded), but I wouldn't take a boyfriend there on an intimate date.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Continental Midtown is an option. Very casual with good food.

I thought the original poster said romantic.

I think both Continentals are a hell of a lot of fun (though the one in Old City gets awfully crowded), but I wouldn't take a boyfriend there on an intimate date.

Also both continentels have very very limited lunch menus, which something i care not for

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

romantic? how about the 'lounge' in back of the midtown IV on chestnut?

hahaha

Hey don't knock the midtown IV lounge. Years ago I had a great first date there (It was her suggestion-wanted to see what it was like)

We only had one drink because of the stares from the bartender and the regulars. Moved on to the Tank bar-big improvement