• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

water's edge in cape may

scarlet knight

i remember hearing that they had lost their lease.

True 'dis. I had a long conversation with Neil's lovely wife Karen last summer and she told me of their lease woes. They didn't lose the lease, as I recall, just the landlord wanted to jack it up unreasonably so they chose not to renew. The new lease at Restaurant 1919 is a much better deal and I understand that things are going very well for them there. I think the menu is fairly similar to the old Water's Edge menu. I should have a chance to check it out sometime over the summer on one of my jaunts to Cape May, so I'll report back when that happens.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Cape May this weekend. I remembered this post, so rode my bike over to the restaurant and took a peek at the new menu. I think the restaurant is now called The Pier House. The offerings on the menu looked unimaginative, but were fairly priced. However, a few of the salads sounded delicious.

BTW, had a very tasty breakfast sandwich at Lu-Lu's. Across from the arcade - clean, cute and nice service.

• 2 months later...
We were in Cape May this weekend.  I remembered this post, so rode my bike over to the restaurant and took a peek at the new menu.  I think the restaurant is now called The Pier House.  The offerings on the menu looked unimaginative, but were fairly priced.  However, a few of the salads sounded delicious.

BTW, had a very tasty breakfast sandwich at Lu-Lu's.  Across from the arcade - clean, cute and nice service.

I had some grilled octopus that rivalled Dmitri's in Philadelphia at Pier House. It was quite tender and tasty. Also tried a pretty tomato salad. Fresh and delicious. New ownership is doing good things at Pier House.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i remember hearing that they had lost their lease.

True 'dis. I had a long conversation with Neil's lovely wife Karen last summer and she told me of their lease woes. They didn't lose the lease, as I recall, just the landlord wanted to jack it up unreasonably so they chose not to renew. The new lease at Restaurant 1919 is a much better deal and I understand that things are going very well for them there. I think the menu is fairly similar to the old Water's Edge menu. I should have a chance to check it out sometime over the summer on one of my jaunts to Cape May, so I'll report back when that happens.

FYI, Katie you are indeed right about the landlord. Gus Andy owns the oceanfront property and the La Mer Motor Inn immediately next door. Gus also owns half of Cape May and has been fueding with Neil for years. It's really a shame because Neil's place had become our very favorite restaurants in all of Cape May. The waitstaff was always attentive and competent and the wine list was mostly affordable reds from California. He is a masterful chef always willing to risk imaginative and seemingly impossible food combinations. I particularly liked how they catered to kids but still pulled off a very high level execution all around.

Although never having been to Studiokitchen, his cusine seems similar in a NJ beach sort of way. I can't wait to try his new place when we go back.

i was in cape may recently and read in one of the local papers that Restaurant 1919 has closed.

I am not sure but my employer finally receievd a check from a past due invoice this week that was about 60 days old.

I hope they are still open?

As has been said before, Neil is an imaginative chef and Karen a lovely person/co-owner.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover