• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pullman Pan

Berlinsbreads

Greetings!

I am always trying some new baking adventure and would like to get one of those Pullman pans to make Pain de mie. The pans are square with a lid to force the bread to have a denser crumb and light crust. I'm guessing my kids would love this bread.

Does anyone out there have one of these pans and what feedback can you give me? I'm looking for comments and possibly recipes :biggrin: !!

Thank you!

I have one, haven't used it for a while I admit. It seemed to stick a bit more readily than some of my other pans, and I suppose the dough is pressing firmly against the sides of the pan, so it's worth getting a good quality pan.

My pan is a bit big - it would take 2 loaves' worth of dough easily, and I would use it more often if it were a bit smaller.

Of all breads I've made, this must be the closest in texture to a bread-machine loaf. I'd be interested to hear whether other people agree!

I have bought all my pullman pans (in different shapes) from Fantes

Fantes.com

The prices are reasonable and these are heavy duty commercial pans.

I line the pans with baking parchment as this gives a thinner crust.

The triangular pan is especially nice for baking bread for tea sandwiches. Other than removing the crust (which I save for crumbs) there is no waste.

The round-bottom pan produces the dense, fine crumb and the finished loaf looks rather like a traditional loaf only it is perfectly even with smooth sides.

The ones I use most is the standard rectangular pans, the smaller is 11 inches long, the standard is 16 inches long.

I do not use the fancy shaped tubes - they do not work as well as the ones with the removable tops.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Greetings!

I am always trying some new baking adventure and would like to get one of those Pullman pans to make Pain de mie. The pans are square with a lid to force the bread to have a denser crumb and light crust. I'm guessing my kids would love this bread.

Does anyone out there have one of these pans and what feedback can you give me? I'm looking for comments and possibly recipes :biggrin: !!

Thank you!

Bridge Kitchenware has them. You can also put a sheet pan over a loaf pan and weight it heavily. Just fill the pan half full though with unproofed dough.

Well, I ordered a pan---it was from Golda's Kitchen via Amazon. It was a little cheaper than KAF but also made by the same company.

I'm curious, helenjp, you said that the bread was close to a bread machine loaf. Do you mean in texture? I find that bread machine loaves often seem dry to me.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to trying it!!