• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Wine Storage

Anyone want to walk me through my wine storage options? There any wine storage companies in town? Somewhere you can rent a temp controlled locker?

Ideally, the move into the new Casa Talent will involve increased room for wine storage coolers. Went to Midland Appliance on Saturday, looked at the Sub-Zero wine locker/cooler thing, $7500 seems quite steep for 120 bottles. They had a crap Danby unit for $1100 again 120 bottles. I need room for 500 +/- and have found some online sources that seem to good to be true. www.winecave.ca has some attractive looking units for two grand that hold 500 bottles. Anyone have any advice? Surely there's a retailer of good quality inexpensive wine storage solutions in town.

Keith,

For that many bottles I'd look at the wine storage facility in Yaletown; link below. We live in a small loft in Gastown and use a Kitchen aid unit that holds 70 bottles ($500) The rest of the wine hides under the stairs, under the bed, and my mum's home in the burbs.

Cheers,

Stephen

wine vault website

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

If the new Casa Talent is a house, can you look at building something on the property? My dad turned his shed into a wine cellar about 15 or so years ago and since then he's added on an outside section with walls and roof, the garage is overrun with barrels....we call it wine world. If you have any space outside, this may be an option and less expensive in the long run.

I had a friend who had a device like an air conditioner installed into a room in the house. I do not think that he had any special insulation or anything in the room, just this air conditioner running. A good refrigeration guy could put in a fine tuned thermostat so you could be very accurate with the temperature. Inexpensive and all of you wine is close at hand for emergency consumption.

Cheers

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Keith, if you attempt the "at-home" storage, remember that most people completely forget the Humidity Control issue, which is crucial to good long-term wine storage (at least as long as we continue our unrequited love with cork). Consistent temperature is vital, but temp alone won't cut it, so you may have to consider the expensive vault route. Unfortunately, those commercial products are all dressed up to look good in the living room, when we all know that it's what's inside that counts! Why doesn't some local refridge guy hook up with a carpenter to create an affordable bare-bones wine vault?

As well, I highly recommend the Yaletown Wine Vault guys.

How'd we live without Google? As it turns out there are a number of models available in BC, without resorting to crap from Home Depot or overpriced name brand stuff from Trail or Midland?

I want the very reasonably priced Vintage Keeper Tuscany 450. Roughly two grand. A friend and I are going to both buy one, so we're going to look at them later this week, maybe use the fact we're buying two to our advantage.

Keith, if you attempt the "at-home" storage, remember that most people completely forget the Humidity Control issue, which is crucial to good long-term wine storage (at least as long as we continue our unrequited love with cork).  Consistent temperature is vital, but temp alone won't cut it, so you may have to consider the expensive vault route.  Unfortunately, those commercial products are all dressed up to look good in the living room, when we all know that it's what's inside that counts!  Why doesn't some local refridge guy hook up with a carpenter to create an affordable bare-bones wine vault?

As well, I highly recommend the Yaletown Wine Vault guys.

I agree 100% with the humidity issue ... which is one of the reasons the Sub Zero unit is a standout. I'm not going to stand here and defend its price tage ... which is truly outrageous ... but it's one of the very few residential units that delivers the whole package.

[shameless plug]For storage (shelves, etc) you can always call me.[/shameless plug] But I'll be honest ... custom units aren't cheap. The folks at Vin de Garde Cellar Systrems have a nice looking product, at it's made in modules, which keeps the price down.

A.

Keith : If you decide that the wine storage thing is too much hassle, let me know and I will happily assist you in depleting you inventory to a manageable size - like something that would fit in a two bottle wine cooler bag - that would be manageable

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Not like I know anything, and am talking completely out of my ass, but I wouldn't think humidity would be an issue here in Vancouver. In Calgary, yes. Kelowna, Yes, Vancouver? I'd think the ambient humidity is pretty much perfect. I await correction from more knowledgeable members.

I'm fairly certain that my dad doesn't have any kind of humidity control in his cellar, but he's also on the North Shore and gets alot more rain than we do at lower levels. There is some serious insulation in the walls and the temperature is constant all year long. In fact, in the heat of the summer, my dad in I will hide in there because it's so nice and cool. The next time I'm over, I'll take pictures and ask more technical questions. i.e. How did you turn a shed into a state-of-the-art wine cellar that can hold a few thousand bottles?

Okay - I truly know nothing - but it seems like by having air conditioning - that is going to effect the humidity of things as a/c takes moisture out of the air.

Once you go down the path of building your own cellar - it seems like it is a slippery slope to manage all of the variables that effect wine.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

No, there are plenty of cooling units that manage the variables, just like a wine cooler isn't a fridge in a furniture looking case. If you're not fortunate enough to have a basement where you can build a proper cellar, (damn Richmonds high water table, damn it to hell.) you can add a cooling/temperature control unit to a well insulated area creating a celler above ground.

On the subject of building your own, one of the issues is what happens if there is a power outage? I'd imagine that the wine storage companies have a disesel generator to keep the AC running, but doubtful you'd have such a thing at home (unless Casa Talent comes complete with a nuclear fall-out and Y2K survival shelter).

Back in the days when I renovated houses for a living, there was an excellent article in Fine Homebuilding magazine on how to convert a corner of a basement or a small room/large closet into a wine cellar. I'll poke around here for it later, I may have kept the article.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

We have a built in cellar at home with a small ($350.-) cooling gizmo that keeps the temperature constant year round. The room is well sealed - and even if there were a power outage (has there ever been one in Vancouver?) - it would take many hours for the room to warm appreciably.

You don't need much space. Our closet sized cellar holds 800 bottles comfortably.

it seems like the by having air conditioning - that is going to effect the humidity of things as a/c takes moisture out of the air.

Canuck is correct on this issue, as the man-made cool environment will suck those corks dry in a matter of months. That's why the old European cellars are all underground; consistent cool air and a moderate amount of moisture naturally treats the maturing bottles well.

In a pinch, find a steady temp in the centre of your home (no outside wall), invite me over and we'll just keep drinking.

what are the problems/risks with storing wine without temp control? i've got some very nice brunellos that have been sitting in my closet for a couple of years. must keep them from harm.

what are the problems/risks with storing wine without temp control?  i've got some very nice brunellos that have been sitting in my closet for a couple of years.  must keep them from harm.

I think you should just invite your friends over and drink all your Brunello as soon as possible.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

it seems like the by having air conditioning - that is going to effect the humidity of things as a/c takes moisture out of the air.

Canuck is correct on this issue, as the man-made cool environment will suck those corks dry in a matter of months. That's why the old European cellars are all underground; consistent cool air and a moderate amount of moisture naturally treats the maturing bottles well.

In a pinch, find a steady temp in the centre of your home (no outside wall), invite me over and we'll just keep drinking.

Okay - OT here - but I can't help myself - but HA! I love it when I get these little bits of affirmation. Vindication!