• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don't Try This at Home

Bloomsbury (the publisher, and actually soon to be my publisher) had a media lunch for Don't Try This at Home today, so I was able to take home a copy of the galleys. I've only had time to read a few of the stories -- just what I could scan in the amount of time it took the M1 bus to get from Alto to my apartment -- but man, just wait until you read the one about the guy with the paralyzed hand. We're also trying to arrange a special surprise for eG Forums members -- more on that once I meet with Dave the Cook and Maggie the Cat.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 months later...

People Magazine just published a review of the book; does anyone know where I can find a digital version of the picture they ran with it? It's Ripert and Bourdain outside a walk-in cooler, with Sara Moulton in the window, trying to get out.

It's not on the website, I tried looking there. Don't know if it's a Gettys Images thing or what.

In an interview with Milt Rosenberg on WGN radio (Chicago) Anthony Bourdain and Paul Kahan (Blackbird, Avec) discuss their respective chapters in the book -- and a variety of other subjects.

A Chef's Life

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 5 weeks later...

For Thanksgiving, NPR has a nice audio segment online related to this book, with some of its contributors:

Don't Try This at Home (NPR)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 10 months later...
For Thanksgiving, NPR has a nice audio segment online related to this book, with some of its contributors:

Don't Try This at Home (NPR)

As a follow-up, sort of, to this book, some of the same chefs - notably, Anthony Bourdain - have contributed to a new volume, How I Learned to Cook. I believe it's out either this week or next. AB and one of his many configurated chef Rat Packs (this time, Gabrielle Hamilton of Prune, Eric Ripert and the infamous Michael Ruhlman of the No Reservations Las Vegas episode) are doing a gig at the 92nd Street Y here in NYC on Monday of the same title. Gabrille and Bourdain share a literary agent, I believe (Kimberly Witherspoon), who edited this book (and, if I remember correctly, edited Do Not Try This At Home). Nice bit of networking - and promotion.