• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Pudding

lmarshal1

I saw a couple of cooking shows this past week that made rice pudding.  What is the best rice to use?  And the best flavorings?  lkm

I would imagine some variety that is medium grain and not

too fluffy (i.e. that would stick together more than, say, basmati).

my favorite flavor is what goes into kheer:

cardamom, a pinch of saffron and a teeny smidgen of

edible camphor.

milagai

You can use whatever you'd use for risotto: arborio, carnaroli, vialone nano . . . . These make a creamy pudding and won't get hard when chilled (important for those moments when you can't resist eating the pudding right out of the fridge).

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. MGLloyd: I had shopped in a Trader Joe's in the Washington, DC, area and had heard there was one in the Indianapolis area (45 minutes from where I live), but I just figured out where the store actually is the other night when we happened to pass it on the way to dinner. A "field trip" is in order. emsny: Thanks for the "tender rice" suggestion. I can identify with the notion of eating right out of the fridge! lkm

Edited by lmarshal1 (log)

You also might consider "Calrose" medium grain rice. It is not expensive and makes an excellent rice pudding. It is more glutinous than many rices.

This site tells about the different types of rice, "Calrose" is sold under different brand names but is known as California medium grain rice. I believe that 80% of the world production is grown in the Sacramento valley, according to CalAg News.

I often use a combination of Calrose and sweet rice.

This is an unusual recipe

I have made it a few times and everyone to whom I have served it has said that it is exceptional, both in flavor and presentation.

OT: This site (Australia) has some interesting pictures of rice sculptures.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

andiesenji: Thanks for including the interesting sites. Calrose rice is available locally. I'll try some. Last fall on a trip to Maine I was as sick as a dog with a 24-hour stomach bug. The first thing I ate after that was a lovely bowl of rice pudding with real whipped cream. Heavenly to a tender tummy. lkm

Sandra: I will definitely try the coconut milk method you suggested...and look up Jean-Georges

Vongrichten.

Megan: Aaaaargh! I was just at Trader Joe's yesterday and meant to pick up arborio rice and forgot. I did get some brown Jasmine rice for other purposes though. lkm