• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Restaurants

tsquare

paul mitchell I look forward to your reports.

there is so much out there paul and the marketing here on the island is terrible, the BC gov is not doing tourism any justice, just because they get the Olympics does it mean they know what tourism is, they have a lot to learn, BC is a fractured palette of colorful business' on their own, we need to work together rather then fighting each other, the pub association looking after their interest; chefs after theirs, restaurant owners after theirs and so on, we are all in the same boat and must start acting accordingly.

here is a toast to a great future on the island, many jewels in the making

stovetop

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Paul, that "dinner cruise" of yours sounds splendid. Tofino will probably be our next Van Island destination (though I'm not sure if we'll be able to fit it in within the next year or two) and I'll keep that in mind.

Hest88:

Tofino, simply put is "heaven".

It may not be the dining center that Victoria is but oh what scenery. It is the place we go to annually, to "relax, revitalize and refresh"...only 5 1/2 more mths to the next trip :rolleyes:

When you can combine the two with stops at the wineries in Duncan and the Cowichan generally en route it is simply grand.

Thanks Merlin! During our first trip out to Van Island (for our honeymoon) I wanted to be within driving distance to Victoria so I could replenish reading material. This time around it could easily have been Tofino, but I really wanted to eat at Sooke Harbour House. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go to Tofino during storm season. Next, though, will definitely be Tofino.

During our first trip out to Van Island (for our honeymoon) I wanted to be within driving distance to Victoria so I could replenish reading material.

:blink: I could give you a "tongue in cheek shot" for that comment. Replenishing reading material on ones honeymoon? :rolleyes:

Tofino is a great spot during the storm season I expect so long as you have the right place to stay. We head up there in mid to late October and to date have only been there for one big "blow". One year the place where we were staying [Pacific Sands] issued candles as they were expecting a big storm that might knock out power but it missed us. Another they had something called a "Pacific bomb" or something to that effect that clobbered Victoria and up the inside passage but left the west coast alone. We were looking forward to it.

It was quite something to be sitting in the Pointe Restaurant at the Wick [www.wickinn.com] watching the waves crash into the surrounding rocks and shore.....sipping a very wine too :rolleyes:

Edited by merlin (log)

Replenishing reading material on ones honeymoon?

I read fast! :biggrin:

We may just decide to go to Tofino when we can really walk around and, if it's *really* as heavenly as everyone claims, go back during storm season. I do love a good storm, and I get very little of that here in Northern California. And, of course, when it is storming it usually means I have to slog to work in the rain, which makes the storm less desirable!

Hey Merlin, thanks for the island update.

Paul, I was at the Clayoquot resort a few years ago for my honeymoon, they were just starting to build the longhouse back then. Been back to Tofino almost every year since, I love it there. I keep going during storm season but alas, haven't encountered any yet. Not sure if I'll make it back this year but just in case, how have things changed at the resort in terms of activities and dining? When my husband and I went, we booked the chef's table (bar?) every night. Nothing beats interacting with the chefs while you watch your meal being prepared.

Merlin,

Will post that Victoria report when I get a chance - have got back to my resort and as I am sure most folk on here can appreciate I have been pulling 14 hour days for the last week and not wanting to do much but drink six beer over half an hour, crash and then wake up and do it all over again.

Paul

...I have been pulling 14 hour days for the last week and not wanting to do much but drink six beer over half an hour, crash and then wake up and do it all over again.

LOL..."Sounds like a plan" Paul. Hang in there. Look forward to your comments once you get a chance to post.

Eagle Nook Resort - small resort in the middle of nowhere with nice rooms, fabulous views, nice hiking, great kayaking, decent food and a great runaway spot. Was there twice last year - both experiences positive. Unlike Clayoquot Wilderness Lodge this property is dramatically different. Has some of the same facilities, but at a different level that CWL. Overall a fun getaway, but even more remote than CWL.

First computer chance I have had in awhile. Funny to read about the slow food posts as I have been writing a slow food manifesto for our dining room's menu. My life over the past two weeks has been straight out of that food network show "Opening Soon" in preparing our dining room for the summer season. Today I sanded and stained all the bar doors, worked on our new wine cellar, turned a confrence room into a library / lounge in shabby chic westcoast rustic style (I am going to patent this), skimmed fat periodically off the duck stock as chef is out getting a grocery order, polished 200+ Riedel wine glasses (I refuse to do more than one type of glass a day - tomorrow being 150 ice wine glasses), smoked a ton and am ready for a lot of beers.

So to make a long story short, sorry for not posting on my Victoria trip Merlin.

The Victoria trip was good. We were sad that Brassiere L'Ecole wasn't open, laughed at that fucking bed in Temple (it was empty on a Friday night at 6) and were sorry that we missed a lunch at Zambrizi's (sp?) cause we got too wasted by noon and had to nap.

We did go to cafe Brio and I was disappointed. Spent about $600 for four people and left hungry. Was pissed that they didn't have any duck confit cause that's what I heard they did best. I had a nage of scallops to start. 18 bucks for two scallops that weren't even Weathervane's. My chef had sweetbreads and they were overcooked. I had halibut for my main and to tell you the truth I cannot even remeber how it was served and by that time was wasted and probably didn't care much.

Had an awesome dinner at Il Terazzo. Probably because a good friend of my chef is the sommelier there and he really showed us a good time even though it was a busy night. They have some great house smoked Tuna and even though it wasn't a technical masterpiece, a nice hunk of veal tenderloin wrapped in good smoked bacon just made my night. Drank a lot of bottles of Blue Mountain Pinot and Black Hills Nota Bene that night.

Stopped in Shawnigan Lake on the way to Tofino. My companions knew this couple that owns a place there called the Sunflower Cafe. A little hippy backyard patio place but incredible food. They do brunch / lunch and then have a small but cute dining room for dinner. The highlight was halibut topped with chopped spot prawns and then juliened potato served on organic strawberry and spinach salad.

In Tofino ate at Shelter. Jay and Mattie are the warmest people in the world and anyone visiting Tofino should check them out. Just say Paul for Clayoquot Wilderness Resorts recommended you and they'll treat you like gold. Also had a funny instance in the local grocery store. Our friends we were staying with at the Tofino Swell Lodge had bought a new barbecue so we decided to get steaks . So we went to the store and asked the guy for four 35-40 ounce t-bones. So he goes back to his other meat cutting partner and relays the info. The guy yells "Are You Fucking Serious?" and half the store stops to check out the commotion. People started coming over and filing by taking a look at our steaks being cut with this bewildered looks on their faces.

But the best thing about our trip was now we are back at the resort and the "what's for dinner conversation" goes like this:

"You mean we have to eat duck again, no more dungeness crab, I don't like ling cod in the rigamortis stage, oysters again?"

To say the least we are pretty spoiled - but such is life.

Paul Mitchell:

Thanks for the laughs...it was worth the wait!

Seems you share my sense of humour and attitude when it comes to the Temple's decor...yep, still do not "get" the bed.

Too bad about Brio. We had two fine evenings there. However, glad you had a good time at Il Terrazo whereas our nite there in the fall was disappointing. That was on a Monday nite in late October and they were "rocking and rolling" that evening as well. Your friend the sommelier is a nice guy. He stopped by our table and commented on the chianti we were drinking. It was great but quite expensive. Impressive list at the restaurant.

Would have loved to have been in the Co-op to see the meat cutter's reaction to those "Fred Flintstone" steaks you ordered.

I love good t-bones or better still a "real" Porterhouse barbequed like a roast. Cut up and reassembled served with some lemons. Yumm. I am not a big filet fan, prefer the striploin but this way you get both.

Just back from four days up at the Jasper Park Lodge. Saw on the wine list that an old name from the Island is now the manager of their fining dining restaurant, the Edith Cavell Room and the wine director. You folks probably remember him. James Kendall. We met him years ago when he was managing the Aerie up the Malahat from Victoria. Likely as a result the list features a number of B.C. wines like Note Bene, Blue Mountain and even several from Venturi-Schultze. Three of the latter's whites, a pinot or cab, a sparkling and a dessert wine.

Looking forward to getting out your way come Fall Paul. Perhaps we can link up at Shelter. Do intend to get there this visit.

Good luck with the tourist rush oncoming.

........End of the night (14 hour day and asked Chef if he worked with James Kendall at the Aerie - lots of laughter and "how the f-ck do you know that" - today I cleaned the yellow cedar beams of our 3000 square foot authentic native longhouse by hand - washed all the dishes, glasses and odds and ends of its kitchen with no hot water or soap - also hauled a cord of wood by wheelbarrow about a 1/4 of a km down the dock and into the lodge (fun stuff) - we have all of our new staff coming in on thursday afternoon - at four on friday we have a group of 13 couples coming from chicago to do yoga and be spoiled - I didn't do the planning but I am sure that a half-day wil be enough %##%@#$ time to train newguys nad newgirls to serve - why can't I have a day off so I can fly to Van and have lunch at West and drink a couple bottles of Cakebread to figure out how I'll deal with this one.

Brace yourself Paul, it is coming, the madness, the tourists, the endless nights, the endless days, that turn into weeks that turn into months, but in five months you can go to Van and spend a week eating at different restaurants, for me I am glad for the season I just had my first eight hour shift in five months, the money honey, she is finaly talking, gotta love it, bring it on.

stovetop steve

port alberni

ps i did try to get the chef job at eagles nook was second next year I will get it

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Sweet Willie:

Was initially perplexed by the tone of some of the posts until I noted their "age".

If you scroll down the subject headings a few inches you'll find one I started entitled "Victoria Recommendations?" before headng out to the Island last month.

It has some more contemporary comments.

• 4 months later...

*bump*

I'm wondering if these still hold? Has any new place jumped onto the scene? We'll only be in Victoria for one night - October 30th, and I'd love to find someplace romantic. I'm currently leaning toward Cafe Brio - but the menu at Pescatore's looks good too - is that a new place, or just not one you're all crazy about? Anyplace (or thread) I might be missing?

I'd love to have dim sum on Sunday - is that foolish? Chinese in Seattle is nothing special. Where should we go? We're staying by the harbour at Laurel Point Inn, and won't have a car, but are willing to hop a bus or grab a cab - I think if the weather's nice, I'd like to go to the Gardens, so I know we'll need to get out there...is there someplace we could hit on our way there?

thanks a million in advance!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Hello there,

Cafe Brio is an excellent choice by far. Greg Hayes will be working the door that night and he is simply the best maitre'd and so helpful with their excellent wine list. Food is great. Produce right now is so inspiring, we are having a bumper crop of wild mushrooms - chanterelles, pine, etc.

Brio is close enough to take a cab. You could also go to Brasserie L'ecole before Brio and sit at the bar with wine or French beer and share a duck confit and then move on to Brio, this way you can experience two wonderful places.

Dim Sum.

you know, its not great, but probably better than Seattle. If you go, go to Don Mee in Chinatown. Its a little glamourous and always packed on a Sunday. I love little plates of food floating around on carts. Can be a little greasy, but just order some tea or a coke. Its about the best we have and still fun to go.

If you are going out to the gardens on the Sunday, I would like to make a suggestion of blowing your budget and have a driver take you out to the Deep Cove Chalet - old school French that makes you feel pampered. Its very romantic, overlooking the cove with the all the autumn leaves falling. The food is excellent and they may still be open for lunch on the Sunday, Oct 31. They do have a website and their hours are posted.

If you are in town on Saturday and are hankering for lunch, I would like to suggest two places.

The Noodle Box on Fisgard in Chinatown - a very happening Thai noodle place and the My Thai on Cook and Fort St., very close to Brio. The best Thai food in Victoria, bar none. Both are casual and right for fortifying yourself before more shopping.

If you need more, I'm here.

Shelora

I'll second Brio, and add Paprika Bistro to the mix. Not sure how it fits in with Laurel Point (I HATE you! :biggrin: ) re: cab rides, but its a nice room, very friendly ... a bit more intimate than Brio.

All shelora's recs re: Dim Sum I second.

Deep Cove is on my TO DINE list. Let us know if you go!

A.

• 1 month later...