• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Restaurants

tsquare

Victoria is a beautiful city, if you have a car drive to Sooke or back towards the ferry near Sidney, there are some nice wineries there.

In Victoria Zambri's is a must. They serve a more casual, almost deli style lunch which is excellent and a very good dinner.

Stop by Canoe for a beer and some cold oysters as a mid day refresher. Dinner at Cafe Brio for sure (book ahead) and L'Ecole Brassier. Make sure you ask for a front table at Brasserie as the back gets very hot.

Places to avoid are Herald Street Cafe, new owners, or a multitude of new owners have left it dirty, inattentive and thoroughly dreadful. And speaking of dreadful, The Fairmont Empress Hotel! The lobby and outdoors of the grand old lady may be impressive but the service is terrible, the food and beverage below standard, as is the service in the restaurants and lounges. The Afternoon Tea is just about the biggest rip-off I have ever seen. In fact I once heard a rumor that the reason the Tea is $55.00 per person is because some Food and Beverage Director, new to the hotel, hated it so much he wanted to cancel it all together. The powers that be would not hear of it so instead he doubled the prices figuring that would stop anyone coming. Now they still get the same old bagged tea, pre-made tea sandwiches and mushy fruit salad, but at twice as much!

Take a picture of the old gal and go elsewhere!

Places to avoid are Herald Street Cafe, new owners, or a multitude of new owners have left it dirty, inattentive and thoroughly dreadful.

I agree - I never go there anymore. Bad service and really bad food - I used to love their crab cakes - no more. And Brio stole one of their best waiters away several years ago.

And speaking of dreadful, The Fairmont Empress Hotel! The lobby and outdoors of the grand old lady may be impressive but the service is terrible, the food and beverage below standard, as is the service in the restaurants and lounges. The Afternoon Tea is just about the biggest rip-off I have ever seen. In fact I once heard a rumor that the reason the Tea is $55.00 per person is because some Food and Beverage Director, new to the hotel, hated it so much he wanted to cancel it all together. The powers that be would not hear of it so instead he doubled the prices figuring that would stop anyone coming. Now they still get the same old bagged tea, pre-made tea sandwiches and mushy fruit salad, but at twice as much!

Take a picture of the old gal and go elsewhere!

The only time I go for tea there is in the winter with my Aunt who lives in Victoria. If you're with a guest who is from Vic, they give you a discount (only in the winter, though). Even the curry in the Bengal room is lousy now. Plus they don't even give you placemats. And the CP store is gone....

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your recommendations. We had a wonderful time in Victoria.

Our absolute favorite meal was at the Rosemeade. The flavors were layered- the presentation gorgeous- and our server was professional, attended to our every need but was not obtrusive. It was an outstanding experience.

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Cafe Brio. Incredible local ingredients (amazing arugula), wonderful flavors, again, great service.

We were lukewarm on our meal at Temple. It's a very cool atmosphere- I'll go there for cocktails next time. The appetizers & salad courses were underwhelming. However, they redeemed themselves on the entrees. The steak was perfectly cooked and flavorful. The linguine with clams & serrano ham had great flavor as well. Service needs refinement.

Again, Thank You! If you ever need recommendations in Seattle please let me know.

On the spur of the moment, we decided to spend a long weekend in Victoria. This thread has been a great help in the most important aspect of our travels - restaurants!

We have reservations at Cafe Brio on Thursday, Lure on Friday and Rosemeade on Saturday. A few more lunch suggestions would be most appreciated.

Looking forward to our first visit to Victoria!

Thanks

On the spur of the moment, we decided to spend a long weekend in Victoria.  This thread has been a great help in the most important aspect of our travels - restaurants!

We have reservations at Cafe Brio on Thursday, Lure  on Friday and Rosemeade on Saturday.  A few more lunch suggestions would be most appreciated.

Looking forward to our first visit to Victoria!

Thanks

Lunch in Victoria? Capitol idea!!

1.Zambris' would be great for a casual locale with fresh flavours, Italian inspired fare. 250-360-1171, 110-911 Yates St. Reservations not needed.

2. Il Terrazzo for big rich plates of food. Wonderful room and if it's sunny, chose an outdoor table, reserve if you can. 555 Johsson St., 250-361-0028

3. Daidoco for Japanese small plates, lots of organics, casual atmosphere, good for take out if you need a quick bite before or after whale watching - and I don't mean the other tourists! 633 Courtney, (behind the bug zoo), 250-388-7383

4.Canoe, sit outdoors if you can. Great brew pub, generous portions, 450 Swift St., 250-361-1940

5.Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub, 308 Catherine St., 250-384-6613 On the water, great views and brews and food.

6. J & J Wonton Noodle House, for homemade dumplings and exquisite Chinese food, 1012 Fort St, 250-383-0680

What else do you want to do? Do you have wheels? There are some fabulous boutique wineries that could get worked into your itinerary.

Since Brasserie L'ecole is not on your list, perhaps you could consider a seat at their bar at their 5:30 p.m. opening for a small plate and glass of wine before you go for dinner. You won't regret it. 1715 Government, 250-475-6260.

Have fun.

Thanks, shelora. What a great list for lunch!

In reviewing the online menu for Brasserie l'Ecole, I was not as taken by it as the three selections. Perhaps the website menu is not a good reflection of what to expect. Would you rate it above Cafe Brio, Lure or Rosemeade? I picked Lure for the seafood and view.

Since we are flying from Seattle via seaplane, I will not be able to take my laptop (very limited baggage allowance). Not sure I will check-in again. Will try to report back on our experience. It all sounds terrific.

Thanks, shelora. What a great list for lunch!

In reviewing the online menu for Brasserie l'Ecole, I was not as taken by it as the three selections. Perhaps the website menu is not a good reflection of what to expect. Would you rate it above Cafe Brio, Lure or Rosemeade? I picked Lure for the seafood and view.

Since we are flying from Seattle via seaplane, I will not be able to take my laptop (very limited baggage allowance). Not sure I will check-in again. Will try to report back on our experience. It all sounds terrific.

Brasserie is different from the three. Think Le Pichet on a smaller scale.

All dark wood, intimate setting, excellent service. Food focus is big on local, seasonal with a French flavour. Braised dishes a highlight - mains $18. across the board. Small plates $4.00.

It would be shame for you not just to go for drink at the bar with perhaps some kushi oysters or a plate of mussels. You'll love it.

s

Mo:Le for breakfast on Blanshard off Government. Consistently, in my remote opinion, the best place in Vic to go for breakfast.

What about Demitasse and John's Place (for breakfast that is)? Or am I totally dating myself? :blink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

What about Demitasse and John's Place (for breakfast that is)? Or am I totally dating myself? blink.gif

Far better than both. They are good options, but Mo:Le goes further in giving us the Island on a plate. I worked at John's for two years as a waiter, and though I love them to bits they simply aren't playing in the same league. Demitasse is wonderful, too, but again there are too many degrees of separation to make it a contest. When you stand a free run omelette with organic oyster mushrooms, Galloping Goose Boerewors sausage, Violet's organic spinach, and French brie up against the green onion and pepper paradigm of every other contender (complete with layered lattes), it's a knockdown.

Blue Fox is good, too. And so is Willie's. But Mo:Le is the current king of Victoria's weird fixation on breakfast.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

What about Demitasse and John's Place (for breakfast that is)? Or am I totally dating myself? blink.gif

Far better than both. They are good options, but Mo:Le goes further in giving us the Island on a plate. I worked at John's for two years as a waiter, and though I love them to bits they simply aren't playing in the same league. Demitasse is wonderful, too, but again there are too many degrees of separation to make it a contest. When you stand a free run omelette with organic oyster mushrooms, Galloping Goose Boerewors sausage, Violet's organic spinach, and French brie up against the green onion and pepper paradigm of every other contender (complete with layered lattes), it's a knockdown.

Blue Fox is good, too. And so is Willie's. But Mo:Le is the current king of Victoria's weird fixation on breakfast.

Thanks alot Andrew :angry: (well, not really :laugh: )

I guess I just have incredible memories of Demitasse from about... umm, 20 years ago, that my allegiance has never wavered. Their steamed eggs on croissants and the latte with the orange peal twist... chatting w/ my gal pals while listening to classical music..... ah... memories..... like the colours of my mind... misty water coloured memories....

oh never mind :biggrin:

Mo:Le sounds great.... I really am going to have to get my butt back to the old 'hood one of these days.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I guess I just have incredible memories of Demitasse from about... umm, 20 years ago, that my allegiance has never wavered. Their steamed eggs on croissants and the latte with the orange peal twist... chatting w/ my gal pals while listening to classical music..... ah... memories..... like the colours of my mind... misty water coloured memories....

I must have been at the table next to you. I was a night manager at Overtime Restaurant and we'd get off work at 5am and go shoot pool half-cut until Demitasse opened. I had never seen eggs fluffed by an espresso machine before and the Baroque trumpets were wonderfully sedative.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I must have been at the table next to you. I was a night manager at Overtime Restaurant and we'd get off work at 5am and go shoot pool half-cut until Demitasse opened. I had never seen eggs fluffed by an espresso machine before and the Baroque trumpets were wonderfully sedative.

Oh Andrew, you should have worked more days with me at Bistingo! They were big on steamed eggs off the espresso machine ...

... perhaps because they lacked a real kitchen. :)

I second Mole. Quality of ingredients is what really sets them apart. Given the profit margin, I think more places should spend a little more on brekky. You can get a real cult following in Victoria that will keep you floating all year 'round.

-- Matt.

What about Demitasse and John's Place (for breakfast that is)? Or am I totally dating myself? 

For your anniversary?! You must be dating yourself!! :biggrin:

Demitasse? John's Place? Mo:le? Come on you guys, is romance really dead?

Edited by shelora (log)