• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wrapping cookies to mail

devlin

I'm mailing four different types of cookies to my brother in New York, but I'm not sure what the best method is to do it. Suggestions?

When our son was in boot camp and requested cookies in his care package at Thanksgiving and X-mas we just under baked them a bit to keep them moist and flexible. Then stuffed em in a large gladware container. Surround this with crumpled paper and ship. The post office does a wonderful job. They are quick and cheap.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Thanks folks! I'm wondering whether wrapping them in plastic wrap would adversely affect the texture, make them sweat, that sort of thing.

If you've got one of those vacuum things that sucks the air out, that's good. Put a few into one of those plastic bags, suck out the air, then layer them into a sturdy box or tin.

Or. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and layer them into a cookie tin that you've saved. The extra wrapping on each cookie protects one from the other. I've never had a problem with them 'sweating.' The bigger problem, and the thing to avoid is the cookies drying out.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks folks! I'm wondering whether wrapping them in plastic wrap would adversely affect the texture, make them sweat, that sort of thing.

Thank you so much. That was very helpful.

If you've got one of those vacuum things that sucks the air out, that's good.  Put a few into one of those plastic bags, suck out the air, then layer them into a sturdy box or tin.

Careful, a little vacuuming goes a long way. I did that one time and all the air was sucked out of the cookies too. :shock: Definitely made 'em chewy tho'.

Di

I wrap mine in plastic wrap two to a pack and add a piece of bread--the bread goes stale and the cookies stay soft--assuming you want them chewy & soft. I actually get a little cookie cutter & cut out hearts out of the bread. My boy knows to discard it. I wouldn't put the bread in shortbread cookies or something like that.

If you've got one of those vacuum things that sucks the air out, that's good.  Put a few into one of those plastic bags, suck out the air, then layer them into a sturdy box or tin.

Careful, a little vacuuming goes a long way. I did that one time and all the air was sucked out of the cookies too. :shock:

:laugh:

Airless cookies. I'll bet that was a shocker.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I wrap mine in plastic wrap two to a pack and add a piece of bread--the bread goes stale and the cookies stay soft--assuming you want them chewy & soft. I actually get a little cookie cutter & cut out hearts out of the bread. My boy knows to discard it. I wouldn't put the bread in shortbread cookies or something like that.

In my head I hear my boyfriend saying "most of them were good, except the heart shaped ones, those were kinda weird, mike ate them"

*mike's his roomate

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

In my head I hear my boyfriend saying "most of them were good, except the heart shaped ones, those were kinda weird, mike ate them"

*mike's his roomate

My brother's name is Mike--shoot, I'd tell him the heart shaped ones were made especially for him!!! :laugh:

Careful, a little vacuuming goes a long way. I did that one time and all the air was sucked out of the cookies too. :shock:

:laugh:

Airless cookies. I'll bet that was a shocker.

Yep, one gummy 'n gooey mass of cookie. Not bad tasting tho'. :wink:

Di

I could have sworn I was including somebody else's quote up there and not my own previous message. :unsure:

Anyway, the responses address most of my concerns. A couple of the cookies are chewy, and so drying's an issue. But a couple are types of biscotti, definitely not a thing I want to turn soft and chewy during travel. I do have one of those food wrap machines that sucks the air out of plastic storage bags, but because I just got it and didn't want to risk screwing this up, I didn't use it.

I ended up wrapping each separately in plastic and putting them all in a big box surrounded by bubble wrap. None of my tins was large enough to accommodate them all (and I have some really big tins). So, I'll wait for feedback and hope it worked.

If anybody else has more wisdom, I'd be grateful. This isn't the last time I'll be doing this.

I could have sworn I was including somebody else's quote up there and not my own previous message.  :unsure:

Don't you hate it when that happens. Actually I didn't notice it till you pointed it out.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.