• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Tacos

gerald

Director's Cut: the unexpurgated version of today's Globe piece in the 7 section:

In Search Of The Elusive Taco Pescado

Jamie Maw hunts down the perfect summer food

That's some of the best food-writing I have come across in quite some time!

I wonder if we can nominate Jamie for the Governor General's Literary Awards, perhaps greasing the wheels a little with a couple of those Go Fish salmon tacos...? :biggrin:

Thank you, Jamie! :laugh:

Yeah, like Jamie's ego needs more stroking! :wink::wink:

So in the interest of research, I took one for the team and sauntered over to Go Fish! for lunch. It was around 1:30 so the line-ups, although still present, were not so bad. I think the overcast skies today helped a little as well. I'll detail my lunch in the "Where Have You Eaten" thread ... but the definite star of the show:

gallery_16561_1041_17843.jpg

Spring Salmon Taco with Cabage and Chipotle Mayo

Don't tease me Jamie ... this will be a regular menu item, right? Abso-frickin-lutely amazing! I bought two, but decided I needed to bring one home for my wife.

It's sitting there, on the counter, waiting for here ... taunting me ... :unsure:

A.

Yeah, like Jamie's ego needs more stroking! :wink::wink:

gallery_16561_1041_17843.jpg

Spring Salmon Taco with Cabage and Chipotle Mayo

Don't tease me Jamie ... this will be a regular menu item, right? Abso-frickin-lutely amazing! I bought two, but decided I needed to bring one home for my wife.

It's sitting there, on the counter, waiting for here ... taunting me ... :unsure:

A.

That's some of the best food-photography I have come across in quite some time!

And astonishingly close to the image in the Globe this morning. And yes, Arne, they say that the salmon taco will stick and that halibut tacos will follow shortly.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Had the Salmon Taco tonight-managed to get there just in time after work.

A very tasty morsel-2 were almost enough for dinner-my being ravenous and all. :blink:

Only tangentially related to a Mexican Fish Taco but definitely something I'll try again.

Had fish tacos with Mooshmouse and Daddy-A today at GoFish. Delicous! They also had a gazpacho with stripped shrimp - absolutely fantastic. Summer in a bowl.

A PBS show was being shot highlighting GoFish and Daddy-A gave an impromtu lesson in eating fish tacos... nimble, gentle, yet purposeful.

Mooshmouse said it best - "shock and awe"

Finally I can weigh in on the Fish Taco debate. Thanks to a wonderful friend, I had Taco delivery this afternoon.

They are soooo good!!!! The salmon is cooked perfectly, the chipotle mayo is nice and spicy, the jalapeno bite is fantastic. I really enjoyed, even though I missed out on the demonstration from Arne and Joie. Thank you. It was a lunch that was needed.

• 3 weeks later...

A little off topic but:

My first (dinner/lunch/dinner/lunch - all in a row) and only experience with fish tacos ($1.50) were in San Diego at Rubio's (http://www.rubios.com/) last week. They use pollock with cabbage, salsa and some secret sauce. Very simple and very good. They also use (yellow?) corn tortilla (taco size) instead of the white (corn?) tortilla one gets here at Safeway. Their food is cooked to order but it's worth the wait. I also tried the shrimp taco and lobster burrito. Both are very good.

Yes, I have nothing to compare against but I will give Go Fish a try soon.

For all you fish taco fans, they are on the menu at the Galley Kitchen (I think that's what it's called) at Jericho Sailing Centre. Noticed them the other week when I was there but didn't try them.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I remember my favorite fish taco experience very well. My brother and I had driven from Texas to Puerto Escondido, Mexico in the state of Oaxaca, on the Pacific. It was a very long trip with many interesting moments along the way and a roaming mescalero. Well, we arrived at Puerto in the late morning and found a tiny restaurant on the beach. The guy was not really open but he agreed to make us some tacos.

Oh, man. Delicioso!

Tacos De Tiburito, Baby Shark Tacos. He grilled up this shark, cradled it into thick, uneven corn tortillas cooked just so that they managed to be tender and toothsome at the same time, with a sweet and husky corn essence. The salsa has been forgotten, but the fish, so fresh and flaky and hot, with just a bit of cabbage, onion, cilantro, and a short shower of lime and salt. The tacos, the beer, the breeze, the beach. Wow.

Later in the trip a mango that I had been watching ripen while I read in a hammock below the tree in which it grew graduated to lunch when it fell into my lap one lazy afternoon. I had to jump in the surf to get all the perfumed, sticky juice off of me.

These are some of my fondest food memories and the best damn fish taco that I have ever eaten. However, there are some others that come close.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Finally got a chnce to try go fish and their version of the fish taco.

While the flavour was good I did not like salmon as the choice of fish, too fatty to get a good crust going, one of the elements that make a fish taco so tasty is that slightly charred crispiness, the slaw that they add to the taco IMO muddys the water, reduces the crunch quotient. Their was too much flaccidness in the taco, I am also a traditionalist when it comes to slaw, i found the asian spike to the slaw to be off course, flavour was good , just not my cup of tea.

Conversely, I was at fish cafe last night and had fish taco's there, awesome, simple, ling cod ( i'm pretty sure on that) seared crispy, actually as one big piece which when presented looks formidable (used to the cantina style of chunks), plain cabbage with a little squeeze of lime, crema. The only thing I didn't like was the fruit salsa in it (which was very good, just not my cup of tea), the fries while frozen were pretty good.

Haven't been to lolita's yet , but based on the line ups i should be able to wedge myself in sometime in 08

cheers

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Hi Guys

Finally got a chnce to try go fish and their version of the fish taco.

While the flavour was good I did not like salmon as the choice of fish, too fatty to get a good crust going, one of the elements that make a fish taco so tasty is that slightly charred crispiness, the slaw that they add to the taco IMO muddys the water, reduces the crunch quotient.  Their was too much flaccidness in the taco,  I am also a traditionalist when it comes to slaw, i found the asian spike to the slaw to be off course, flavour was good , just not my cup of tea.

Conversely, I was at fish cafe last night and had fish taco's there, awesome, simple, ling cod ( i'm pretty sure on that) seared crispy, actually as one big piece which when presented looks formidable (used to the cantina style of chunks), plain cabbage with a little squeeze of lime, crema.  The only thing I didn't like was the fruit salsa in it (which was very good, just not my cup of tea), the fries while frozen were pretty good.

Haven't been to lolita's yet , but based on the line ups i should be able to wedge myself in sometime in 08

cheers

FYI the fish taco's are only on special right now at fish cafe, hopefully they will make it on the menu, also, my wifes halibut ws excellent, and the calamari very good

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage