• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas road food

joiei

Lone Star from today's NYT. All about musicians and Texas road food. Is one of your favorites listed. There are a couple of places I might have to check out. like El Valle in Ft Worth, the Scenic Loop Cafe in San Antonio and The Spot in Port O'Connor.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey, I have met the McKay Brother, I subscribe to the New York Times, yet I missed the article. :shock: Thanks for the post.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Lone Star from today's NYT.  All about musicians and Texas road food.  Is one of your favorites listed. There are a couple of places I might have to check out. like El Valle in Ft Worth, the Scenic Loop Cafe in San Antonio and The Spot in Port O'Connor.

Czech Stop is definitely worth the visit. besides the wide variety of sweet kolaches and robust sausage/meat/chub rolls they do killer good sandwiches on their own breads.

if NYT can count the Scenic Loop Cafe as a road food spot, then there's one not mentioned that i would add for Austin. Threadgill's. a worthy stop for comfort food on the road, especially if you like one of my favs... a big mess of great chicken livers, fried or sauteed, cream gravy and lots of veggies... at the original location on N Lamar. good food and good live music have been co-habiting there for decades... :cool:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

my .02-

i like the czech stop too. i've only been there once while driving through, but it hit the spot like nothing else at 6am.

i was surprised at the mention of herbert's taco hut in san marcos. so many people love this place, i'm beginning to think i'm the only one who doesn't. it's not bad food, but it's not the best tex-mex in san marcos either.

re: threadgill's: mmm. mmm. i'm down with hoover's home cooking too.

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

Is Theadgills's in Austin - or nearby - as opposed to being 30 miles down the road (we'll be there in a couple of weeks)?  Robyn

It's in Austin, on Lamar. There is a newfangled location, but you want the real thing.

It's is an institution in a town full of them. I go everytime I am there. Food's good and the place is pretty entertaining even without the food.

Threadgills can fry a steak.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

shoutsandmurmurs . . . You mentioned Herberts Taco Hut in San Marcos but that doesn't sound like the place that we were directed to a few years ago for breakfast. I will be darned if I can remember the place but it was near "downtown" and had a fabulous breakfast menu, Mexican for the most part. We were on a road trip to shop at the discount malls. The breakfast was fabulous.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi, i think you're talking about garcia's, which is also my preference for tex-mex here. their breakfast in particular is wholly satisfying, and everything is relatively inexpensive.

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

Is Theadgills's in Austin - or nearby - as opposed to being 30 miles down the road (we'll be there in a couple of weeks)?  Robyn

It's in Austin, on Lamar. There is a newfangled location, but you want the real thing.

It's is an institution in a town full of them. I go everytime I am there. Food's good and the place is pretty entertaining even without the food.

Threadgills can fry a steak.

What else do you like in Austin (we were told to do relatively big deal in Dallas - and more down home stuff - like BBQ and Mexican - in Austin)? Note that we eat just about everything - if it's good :smile: . Robyn