• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unmolding Hot Cakes

lexy

here's my dilemma: I want to bake two cakes, I only have one cake pan, and I don't really have time to let the first one cool before unmolding and baking the second. I know the best answer is buy a second tin and bake them at the same time, but (a) I'm cheap, and (b) I don't use the one I have very much as it is, and I don't really need a second one cluttering up my kitchen. Is there any trick to unmolding a cake before it's cool, or cooling it quickly? I don't really want to experiment and destroy a cake, and suggestions?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

If you use parchment in the bottom, and butter or baker's spray the sides, and invert the first cake quickly onto a cake circle or cooling rack, you should be just fine. I almost never let a cake sit in the pan longer than a few minutes after it comes out of the oven.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

here's my dilemma: I want to bake two cakes, I only have one cake pan, and I don't really have time to let the first one cool before unmolding and baking the second. I know the best answer is buy a second tin and bake them at the same time, but (a) I'm cheap, and (b) I don't use the one I have very much as it is, and I don't really need a second one cluttering up my kitchen. Is there any trick to unmolding a cake before it's cool, or cooling it quickly? I don't really want to experiment and destroy a cake, and suggestions?

Most cakes only need a few minutes before being unmolded. How long do you usually wait? You can cool down the cake pan in an ice bath or under running water for quicker turnover. I do this al the time as I am also of the who- needs- two school.. good luck

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Most cakes only need a few minutes before being unmolded. How long do you usually wait? You can cool down the cake pan in an ice bath or under running water for quicker turnover. I do this al the time as I am also of the who- needs- two school.. good luck

I didn't realize this (can you tell I don't bake cakes much? :raz: ), I've always just let them cool to room temperature, assuming bad things would happen if I fooled around with them fresh out of the oven. This pretty well solves the problem - thanks!

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

If you use parchment in the bottom, and butter or baker's spray the sides, and invert the first cake quickly onto a cake circle or cooling rack, you should be just fine. I almost never let a cake sit in the pan longer than a few minutes after it comes out of the oven.

Parchment not only on the bottom, but make a sleeve (strip) from parchment, grease the pan side and stick the paper on it.

It works

Peter

lexy--what kind of cake? Some can be un-molded almost immediately, others it's best to wait a bit. If you're doing something basic, say a genoise or pound cake variation, you can pop them out immediately no problem. Everyone has their own method which works for them, but if you're using the typical straight-sided 2" aluminum cake pans--all I do is butter and flour the pans--and cakes pop right out. I don't mess with parchment. When you unmold your cake you have a few choices, you can invert it on a wire rack, if you do don't let it sit in one place for too long, move it around so it doesn't sink into the rack--sometimes I unmold a cake onto a piece of plastic wrap on a flat surface, and let it cool upside down, it helps keep the top flat and then makes it easier to trim. You'll find your own little trucs that work for each type of cake.

I think it's worth it even for home bakers who do small cakes infrequently, maybe just for holidays and family, to get a duplicate 9" (or whatever size you have) pan just for efficiency and even baking. Less hassle, less worry, more time to do other things. But I can definitely understand not wanting to have more stuff in the kitchen, more stuff to store.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

It's an almond cake, so I'm worried it will be a little more crumbly and less springy (and therefore less forgiving) than, say, a basic poundcake. Luckily, although one I'm making to give to a friend, the second is for myself, so if I botch one through experimentation, it's not a big deal.

• 1 month later...

Parchment not only on the bottom, but make a sleeve (strip) from parchment, grease the pan side and stick the paper on it.

It works

Per usual, Peter, your advice is most helpful. I am always open to new suggestions that will make cooking more enjoyable and expedite me to the finished product. Keep up the good work!

Dr. Paul Gervais

Edited by DoctorPaul (log)

Dr. Paul N. Gervais

When I unmold a cake, I always tap or bump the side of the pan with the side of my hand so the cake slides a little bit--y'know how the cake shrinks a little when it bakes??? Well I make sure the cake slides/moves in each direction before I unmold--run the knife around the sides first of course as has been mentioned. I'm also holding the cake pan at an angle when I make the cake slide so gravity helps me out.

I too put a piece of plastic wrap on top of my cake pan before I flip the cake over and if I flip it again so that it cools upright I cover with plastic again because it is easier to handle that way--gives it a skin kinda sorta and nothing sticks. But I remove the plastic left on top so the cake can cool.

I always like to have a little icing on hand just in case something does stick. I squirt a bit of icing from a parchment bag into/around the hole in the cake kind of covering the area (because using a spatula might pull up more cake) then I can slide a spatula under the remnant and slap/glue it together real quick.

Hope your cake turns out great!

I don't really need a second one cluttering up my kitchen.

A second pan won't really take up any more room, as it'll fit inside the pan you already have--at least it will if you have the kind of regular, cheap grocery-store cake pans I have.

I spray the pan with Baker's Joy very well (never use parchment) and unmold it 10 minutes after the cake comes out of the oven. I have a cake circle/board already prepared and just turn the cake onto the board. No cooling racks, no parchment, no fancy stuff.