• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Esty Street in Park Ridge

Weissman

Esty Street has been in business for thirteen years thanks to the longevity of the staff.

All regular customers are greeted by name at the front door by Larry. Chef Jack Mistretta prepares great American contemporary cuisine. Owner Scott Tremble provides some hard to find wines on an exclusive California, Washington, and Oregon. Pastry Chef Adam whips up some interesting takes on American classsic desserts.

The dining room is set in a quaint open room that looks as though Scott was back living on "Esty Street" in his Cornell days.

They have been in business all these years, something must be going right.

So what do you think??

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

Yes, this restaurant has very quietly existed for quite some time. It is basically "off the radar" as far as any attention from media or reviewers. I suppose it does have some steady patrons, that's how it has survived.

I've never been, but I had heard in the past that it is quite pricey; reports were that the costs range from $70-$90 pp for dinner. That's PRICEY for New Jersey...

Weissman, do you have a connection to the place?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Weissman, do you have a connection to the place?

'

You know, Curlz, that's a good point-- by re-reading Weissman's post, it does have that type of "self-promotion" feel to it, but we might be wrong...

compared to this? nah. not even close. (had a very excellent meal at Varka recently, for the record).

my "red flags" in general:

1) first post ever

2) overly gushing

3) knows the name and history of all the players at the restaurant (applicable here to some extent, but this flag is reallly only applicable when the other conditions have been met).

4) immediately defensive when the restaurant or the post is questioned

5) a certain style of posting that suggests that the poster doesn't really spend a lot of time posting in public forums about restaurants (or much else, given lack of etiquette, spelling and grammar skills, etc). hard to explain, but easy to pick up on i think.

no blips on my radar here given those flags as my baseline, but i'll say that my interest is now piqued in Etsy, so i'm thrilled about the thread in general.

I merely asked a question.

'tho I will point out that #s 1, 2 and 3 seem to be well-represented on the Tommy scale. (dulyl noted that s/he has made FIVE posts) :hmmm:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I merely asked a question.

'tho I will point out that #s 1, 2 and 3 seem to be well-represented on the Tommy scale.  (dulyl noted that s/he has made FIVE posts)  :hmmm:

Regarding the "first post" vs. "fifth post" issue - if you were going to post to promote your restaurant, wouldn't you post a few unrelated posts first so that it didn't look like you joined just to promote your restaurant?

And...I think Tommy's #5 is also represented in the post.

We don't know yet about #4 :raz:

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Regarding the "first post" vs. "fifth post" issue - if you were going to post to promote your restaurant, wouldn't you post a few unrelated posts first so that it didn't look like you joined just to promote your restaurant?

you and i would. but most don't. hence the red flag.

i don't mind a little shilling. but when it's so obvious that it's actually offensive, i get bothered. this one, to my mind, isn't so offensive given the circumstances, and i'm hoping to hear a bit about Etsy Street, even if it is from a cook's friend or a manager's second cousin.

The Artful Diner liked it. Named it one of his best restaurants of 2003.

Just for the record, "The Artful Diner" NEVER has anything bad to say about a restaurant, he loves them all! I don't know if this a type of advertising barter, but it sure casts a credibility doubt on all of his reviews...

Ok, my bad-- a "gotcha" for you... I've read about 35 of his reviews, mainly for informational purposes, and he just glows and glows on and on... a lot like the Bergen Record reviewers. But he certainly did not like Epernay. (Most other folks LOVE Epernay) :shock:

For the record, I do realize it's possible that the original poster is merely a long-time customer; I just wish s/he would have started out by saying whether or not there's a personal connection.

And I'd LOVE for some folks who have eaten there to post about it!

I heard that the 3.5 star review came from the bergen record a month ago.

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I'm sorry about the misunderstandings. I have been dining at Esty Street since 1999. By the way, I have not had a bad meal yet. It is also a place to also truly enjoy an interesting bottle of wine.

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I'm sorry about the misunderstandings. I have been dining at Esty Street since 1999. By the way, I have not had a bad meal yet.  It is also a place to also truly enjoy an interesting bottle of wine.

What do you like to eat and drink at Esty Street?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ok, my bad-- a "gotcha" for you...  I've read about 35 of his reviews, mainly for informational purposes, and he just glows and glows on and on...  a lot like the Bergen Record reviewers.  But he certainly did not like Epernay.  (Most other folks LOVE Epernay)  :shock:

i'm not interested in "gotchas", although i do have an odd need to temper opinion-masquerading-as-fact with some actual fact.

why doesn't their website work? i'd love to see some wine selections/pricing.

Edited by tommy (log)

i'm not interested in "gotchas", although i do have an odd need to temper opinion-masquerading-as-fact with some actual fact.

That's quite noble-sounding; except I still think that something is fishy with "The Artful Diner", just as I don't trust the Bergen Record's resto reviews one whit...

I do feel that David Corcoran is quite impartial and objective, though.

The website is not up to date, however, you can get a better idea of their menu as well as their wine list on the website: www.ardore.com.

I hope this will help all the readers out there. Still the information is somewhat outdated. The menus have since changed somewhat.

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

WEissman--What do YOU like to have at Esty Street?

How much would diinner for two with wine cost?

Do they allow you to BYO and what is the corkage fee?

When it comes to eating at Esty Street, I would most of there dishes. They do quite well in their appetizers as well as their fish dishes. In my opinion, save room for dessert also.

The appetizers range from $10-$17 and entrees are $22-$30.

Most wines by the bottle are above $35. However, there are several selections of wines by the glass from $6-$14 or so. So dinner for two: appetizer each, entree, dessert, and a glass of wine averages around $55.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the do charge a $15 corkage fee for wines that they do not offer on their list: ie International wines. My suggestion is to call the restaurant before you dine for that kind of information.

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work