• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Pork Shoulder

Marlene

I picked up one of these at my local supermarket some time ago, and it's been taking up space in my freezer ever since.

gallery_6080_1067_20955.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is different than what everyone is discussing in the Pork shoulder thread, because there everyone's talking about fresh pork shoulder I think.

Anyway, now that I have it, what do I do with it? Roast it? bake it? Glaze it? Long and slow?

Help!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I think I'd treat it like a Smoked ham.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Since I can't remember the last time I cooked a smoked ham, that doesnt' help me much.

How long do I cook this baby for? Covered, uncovered?

Marlene

If it is smoked isn't it already cooked? I am thinking just put it in a covered pot, put some sort of glaze on it and warm it up like you would a ham. Given where you are, maple syrup might be good.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Since I can't remember the last time I cooked a smoked ham, that doesnt' help me much. 

How long do I cook this baby for?  Covered, uncovered?

You do know how to Google don't you. :laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Sure I do, but asking questions, and getting good cooking advice is a big part of why we are here. Besides, I trust our members to give me the right information. I know that any recipe or technique they give me will have been tried and tested and I know it will be good.

Marlene

Sure I do, but asking questions, and getting good cooking advice is a big part of why we are here.  Besides, I trust our members to give me the right information.  I know that any recipe or technique they give me will have been tried and tested and I know it will be good.

Sorry I did not mean to offend you. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

i agree...with it being smoked it is already cooked...something else you can do is slice some of it and make a sandwhich...it is after all a picnic ham and in general they do have very good flavor...when i want a ham sandwhich i seldom by the prefab slices in the sandwich meat section at the grocery store as they generally lack any real flavor..at least to me they do...so when i buy a picnic ham...smoked or otherwise... i liek to slice it up and use it for all kinds of things...sandwhiches... with eggs for breakfast... ham and potato casserole

which is basically where u peel and slice potatoes...take slices of picnic ham can of cream of mushroom soup..unless you make yours from scratch...which is perfectly acceptable..little salt...little pepper put a little of the soup in the bottom of a casserole dish...layer of potatoes..layer of ham...pour soup over it..salt it pepper it..and keep layering til the casserole dish contains the amoutn you want...cook it in a 350 degree oven for about and hour...check on it from time to time and test for the potatoes to be done...

of course you are free to add whatever spices you like...but thats just the basics.and even as a basic comes out tasty...my mother used to make that when we were kids and it was great...it was one of my favorite things...next to the cream tuna on toast..... :rolleyes:

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Marlene, is this bone in or no bone? How big is it?

I know that for a traditional for a traditional ham, which is from the leg, not the shoulder, I usually put it in a 325 oven. If it's a whole ham (like about 18 lbs., bone in), I let it go for about 12 minutes per pound.

But, I'm thinking that the shoulder is fattier, and I'm not sure, but I'd think that it would go faster.

Depending on size, you may want to do this when you have a crowd around, depending on how many leftovers you want.

For leftovers, I can suggest frittatas, enchiladas, cubano sandwiches, eating right out of the fridge, cold sandwiches, crisping and adding to hash browns, frying instead of bacon for breakfast, etc., etc.

Edited to add: But, maybe this will behave, when heated, more like pulled pork that sliced ham?

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"