• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Granville Restaurants

Brenda

I'll be over from the Island in the middle of next week and would like some recommendations for a good lunch spot on South Granville.

Background: I'll be with my mother, and we're eating at Parkside that evening (my first time and I'm really looking forward to it), so we don't want anything too heavy.

We'll also be on foot, so it really should be right on or near South Granville. I have been to Rangoli and liked it, but would like to try something else.

Any suggestions?

Definitely.. West. I was there yesterday and had the early prix fixe. Delicious food; good service. Though our table was wobbly, our waiter gladly fixed that.

Not too south on Granville but just east a bit from the W Broadway/Granville intersection is Cru. A nice place to check out as well.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Depending on what your definition of "too heavy" is, a lunch at West or Cru followed by dinner at Parkside might be, well, too heavy? Don't get me wrong, both are excellent establishments (okay I've never been to Cru but it is currently #1 on my list!), so you'll have to decide for yourself.

Are you staying for one day only or are you looking for several days?

Some other posts on this board point give good suggestions: Memphis Blues BBQ on Broadway just east of Granville has some good eats if you're into that style of food. It's also right beside Cru. A couple people have also mentioned Picnic on Granville and 14th?, which I like as well. Nice staff! Both of these options are a little more casual.

As you mentioned, Rangoli - and Vij's for that matter - are there. So is Tamarind, which is on Broadway just a block and a bit west of Granville. I've never been but I believe it made it into VanMag this year, so Jamie probably knows more (or someone else on this board).

I haven't been to Fortune Garden for years, but has appeared recently on this board too. Same block as Memphis and Cru. If you want good French bistro food, as Deborah mentioned, my favourite Salade des Fruits is on 7th just west of Granville. Then for chains there's Cactus Club right beside Chapters, and then Earls another block west.

The possibilities are quite numerous in the area, so I hope you have time to try a few. And of course be sure to post your impressions!

Lunch may be harder to accomplish (Memphis rocks!-too heavy?), but I would gladly eat dinner out around that neighbourhood for a few days straight.

Maybe Tojo's is open for lunch.---not S.Granville but worth the extra block or three.

Since you liked Rangoli, what about Velvet? Run by Yoo Choi, a former Vij's staffer, it receives consistently good reviews. Case in point: Tim Pawsey's review in the Vancouver Courier.

And Cru is definitely closed at lunchtime.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I say West. West can be light, especially at lunch and you will have eaten at two great Vancouver restaurants in one day. I can sympathize with Deborah's perspective that it is too much for one day but you are visitors and have to take your opportunities as they arise. Have a dessert - I wouldn't really describe myself as a sweet tooth but West desserts are extraordinary. West and Rangoli are my two picks, followed by Salade de Fruits.

I'm pretty sure Tojo's is not open for lunch, nor is Vij's, don't know about En, Cru is not as has been pointed out. I don't think Memphis Blues offers light options. Haven't been to Picnic, Fortune Garden, Tamarind or Velvet Cafe.

Cheers,

Anne

I say West.  West can be light, especially at lunch and you will have eaten at two great Vancouver restaurants in one day.  I can sympathize with Deborah's perspective that it is too much for one day but you are visitors and have to take your opportunities as they arise. 

That's a good point!

Stop at Ganache in Yaletown and get a Caramel-Chocolat for your midnight snack, then, too!

:biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have been to Tojo's several times, so I think we'll skip it this time.

West does sound wonderful. I have read about the desserts elsewhere on this forum, and my husband and I intend to go there soon. I do think it might be too much to have Parkside and West in one day (perhaps not for me but my elderly mother might rebel and request White Spot or toast and tea!)

Picnic, Cru, Velvet, and Salade Des Fruites (and the other suggestions)sound promising. I will post our impressions next weekend.

We are also taking the Harbourlynx foot ferry from Nanaimo I'll let you know if the coffee and muffins are up to snuff.

Thanks

Hope I'm not too late but I must second (third?fourth?) Salades des Fruites.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Ouisi Bistro (3014 Granville Street @ 14th~ 604-732-7550) is my recommendation. great cajun/creole fare, and well priced.

Ouisi's awesome (I always go in the summer and sit on their garden back deck), West is brilliant - two thumbs up Ebert :biggrin: But how can you actually walk past Memphis Blue BBQ and not get weak at the knees ?

Salad Fruilli is closed at lunch, I think Cru is also (call before).

Cheers

If you are looking for good soup and sandwiches and some tasty desserts, try Picnic, which is right beside Meinhardt's.

I love Meinhardts but only get to go there on my visits to Vancouver. I am eternally fascinated by the ornate deserts and food presentation at Picnic. And I love the long picnic table in the middle of the very small restaurant.

Update

We came over to Vancouver yesterday and enjoyed our time on South Granville. For one thing, the sun was out! Hit Meinhardts for some supplies (vinegars, chutneys), had a taste of some good red pepper/ almond dip at Picnic, but it was too early for lunch then so continued on our way.

We ended up at Salad de Fruits (sp?) and liked it very much. However, it took us a little while to find it, as we were on the other side of the street, and they don't have a sign. Great bread in a delicious sandwich, good vinagrette on the greens and lots of people scarfing down Moules et Frites.

So - thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. We also LOVED Parkside. My gnocchi with my main course were like little satin pillows and the Hot Pineapple Tarte tatin with toffee sauce and Pineapple sorbet was out of this world.

Next time - Cru

I've been Salade Des Fruit twice now in the past two weeks and I will say that the service really makes the place. The host (don't know his name) - friendly, funny, and does a good job at having a good time with the customers. The food is good - but previous to coming this week - I had'nt been in years. It seems like the price points have crept up and it is no longer the value for money as it was before. It seemed like it was more catered to the French students that hung around there - rather than the Westside crowd that now frequents it.

The meal also drove home how good the food at La Regalade is and what a value the food is there.

Don't get me wrong - I will still make SDF a habit. The overall experience is so enjoyable.

Has anyone been to the Smoking Dog? I've heard Rob Feenie make reference to it on his show - but I don't know anyone who has actually eaten there. Is there another thread that I should be searching?

Has anyone been to the Smoking Dog?  I've heard Rob Feenie make reference to it on his show - but I don't know anyone who has actually eaten there. 

I've been there once for dinner. The Smoking Dog is in Kits (1889 W.1st Avenue), not on South Granville. The dinner menu is somewhat expensive, although we found the house special (roast of the day or salmon or grilled chicken breast served with Mimosa salad and pommes frites) to be a good value. The atmosphere is warm and cozy and the host is extremely friendly.

• 4 weeks later...

My son and I had our TGIF lunch at Memphis Blues yesterday. We shared the pulled pork meal, which comes with sauce, fries, beans, and coleslaw. It was the first time I realized they have homemade lemonade and unsweetened iced tea "on tap" in the back cooler. The meal really hit the spot. I could feel the stress and fatigue easing itself out of my achin' bones. U. has gone off anything with "sauce", so he made sure I didn't get any on his side of the plate, but we devoured the salty, spicy fries and he sucked back two glasses of lemonade, which is his new culinary obsession.

We headed over to Oscar's Art books where they are selling off all their old calendars and day books for $2.50 each or 20 for a buck each. So, being a bargain hunter, guess how many calendars we bought? Whee! We use them to make collages with. We've got enough images to make collages for two years! Eat you heart out Max Ernst.

Anyway we strapped all calendars to the stroller and I stuck the leftover meat in my backpack to bus it home. Later that day, my partner looked in the fridge and asked our son where we got the pulled pork. "Oh, we got it at Solly's," he says.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 4 weeks later...