• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brewer's Plate this Sun at RTM

JanMcBaker

Hi--

I'm interested in attending the Brewer's Plate this Sunday at the Reading Terminal Market. With such an abundance of brew to be available, and myself not being an experienced, regular beer drinker, I'm concerned about pacing myself and not ending up a drunken mess. :wacko: Anyone have any advice on how best to do this, or care to share what worked for them? Are you out there, Rich? Thanks!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Two pieces of advice. These work every time:

1. Don't have anything to eat that day. That way the beer won't overfill your stomach and slop over, causing you to get drunk.

2. Drink quickly. This will force the alcohol to pass through your system without metabolizing.

edit: Oh wait. This is all coming four days too late. Sorry, disregard.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

i have a few recommendations, having been to things like this many times:

1. sip rather than gulping. beer is lower in alcohol than wine or liquor (obviously) and can be easier to swill.

2. make sure that you are eating the entire time--don't forsake food for beer, even though there may be more beers that you feel like you need to try than food items that you think you can try.

3. related to 2, above, consider that you have the opportunity to drink far more beer than you ever should, and use that fact to remind yourself that it's ok not to finish a beer; that if you drink even a 3 oz. sample of every beer offered you'll be hammered. all these are available locally, and if you miss out on them you can always try them later.

4. hydrate hydrate hydrate. lots of water--although this will really help hangovers more than prevent you from getting hammered.

that help at all? i hope so.

Two pieces of advice.  These work every time:

1.  Don't have anything to eat that day.  That way the beer won't overfill your stomach and slop over, causing you to get drunk.

Dr Fenton: I had always wondered what caused drunkenness, thanks for the medical explanation! I had always suspected that the food was at fault.
2.  Drink quickly.  This will force the alcohol to pass through your system without metabolizing.

Exactly! I've been mystified about why the finer brewpubs and bars featuring local craft beers don't offer to serve in funnels. I mean, frat guys drink a LOT of beer, so they'd know the best way to appreciate it, wouldn't they?

I've heard that an occasional shot of hard liquor interspersed with the beer will jump-start the liver a bit and prevent further intoxication. At least I think that's how it goes... it's all a little foggy...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

1. sip rather than gulping.  beer is lower in alcohol than wine or liquor (obviously) and can be easier to swill.

2. make sure that you are eating the entire time--don't forsake food for beer, even though there may be more beers that you feel like you need to try than food items that you think you can try.

3. related to 2, above, consider that you have the opportunity to drink far more beer than you ever should, and use that fact to remind yourself that it's ok not to finish a beer; that if you drink even a 3 oz. sample of every beer offered you'll be hammered.  all these are available locally, and if you miss out on them you can always try them later.

4. hydrate hydrate hydrate.  lots of water--although this will really help hangovers more than prevent you from getting hammered.

that help at all?  i hope so.

I'll keep your recommendations in mind. Thanks!

1. sip rather than gulping.  beer is lower in alcohol than wine or liquor (obviously) and can be easier to swill.

3. related to 2, above, consider that you have the opportunity to drink far more beer than you ever should, and use that fact to remind yourself that it's ok not to finish a beer; that if you drink even a 3 oz. sample of every beer offered you'll be hammered.  all these are available locally, and if you miss out on them you can always try them later.

4. hydrate hydrate hydrate.  lots of water--although this will really help hangovers more than prevent you from getting hammered.

that help at all?  i hope so.

I'll keep your recommendations in mind. Thanks!

After conducting 18 beer tours during 9 years of the Book and The Cook, my best advice has worked almost flawlessly every year. Eat food when you enjoy beer, and try to drink as much water as beer. I really do personally follow this process: a glass of water for every glass of beer. You may need the restroom a bit more, but you will be quite level-headed after it's all over. Ans yes, no hangover the next day.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

After conducting 18 beer tours during 9 years of the Book and The Cook, my best advice has worked almost flawlessly every year.  Eat  food when you enjoy beer, and try to drink as much water as beer.  I really do personally follow this process:  a glass of water for every glass of beer.  You may need the restroom a bit more, but you will be quite level-headed after it's all over.  Ans yes, no hangover the next day.

This approach is entirely the best way to handle any extended drinking period.

I usually alternate my drinks. Depending on what I am drinking, I may go with one non-alcoholic drink for every two. If you want to taste something other than water in between, juices and such are fine. My favorite is virgin madras: cranberry and orange juices topped with a splash of ginger ale or club soda.

That said, nothing will be quite as good as water at hydrating your system.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Thanks for all your suggestions, even yours Andrew! :blink: Alternating water and food with the beer sounds like the way to go. But just to be on the safe side, I think I'll forget driving for that evening.