• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
torakris

eG Foodblog: torakris - Pocky and the geisha

299 posts in this topic

Now you are probably wondering about the title.... :biggrin:

My past two blogs covered big events here in Japan

New Year's blog

Undokai (sports day festivities) blog

Currently there is no major event going on in Japan so I have decided to focus this blog on modern and traditional Japan and how they are combined in daily life.

There are a couple things going on this week.

Today (April 5) is the first day of school, the Japanese school year runs April- March) so in about 15 minutes I will go outside with my daughters to send them off to school. (yeah :biggrin: ) Mia is going into the 4th grade and Julia the 2nd. My son Hide will go back to preschool on Thursday.

This time of year is one of the most beautiful in Japan, it is cherry blossom (sakura) season and the trees will all be in bloom by the time my blog is over. I will take tons of pictures of these trees as the area I live in has them lining all of the streets. it is just gorgeous.

oh yeah and we will talk about food too! :biggrin:

<p><strong>Kristin Wagner</strong>, aka "torakris"

Manager, Membership

<a class="bbc_email" href="mailto:kwagner@egstaff.org" title="E-mail Link">kwagner@egstaff.org</a></p>

I'm so glad, happy, estatic that you are blogging Kristen. :smile:

Are we too late or early to see pictures of Japan's lovely cherry blossoms?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Torakris, so looking forward to your blog and your pictures!

The trees in my area are about 20% in bloom as of yesterday. Today is going to be quite warm, 20 C ( almost 70 F) and tomorrow even warmer so they should be in full bloom in a couple days. Today I am going to a hanami (sakura blossom viewing) party with friends and a nearby park famous for their blossoms, unfortunately they aren't going to be at their best yet....

Manager, Membership

<a class="bbc_email" href="mailto:kwagner@egstaff.org" title="E-mail Link">kwagner@egstaff.org</a></p>

Why Pocky?

First of all Pocky is pronounced poe-key (there is your daily nihongo for the day! :biggrin: )

There are a couple reasons why I picked Pocky to focus on:

--This is probably one of the most well known foods to come of Japan in modern times.

--It just tastes good.

--I just recently learned that SobaAddict70 has never eaten it!

So Soba this blog is for you! :biggrin:

and why geisha?

I just liked the sound of it......

and no, you will not see pictures of me in a kimono!

Manager, Membership

Every day I will discuss a different kind of Pocky. We will start with the original Pocky that started it all.

gallery_6134_1053_40081.jpg

This was breakfast, I had 6 sticks and a large glass of iced coffee.

I am not a breakfast person. I start every day (no matter what time of year) with an iced coffee then I sort of pick at various foods until lunch.

The kids all had toast. Mia with cinnamon-sugar and Julia and Hide had peanut butter.

I make a breafast onigiri (rice ball) and a bento lunch for my husband 6 days a week, both of these are eaten at work. This morning's onigiri was made with wasabi furikake and lunch was fried rice made with leftover pork and bean sprouts from last night as well as eggs and scallions.

Manager, Membership

the kids on their way to school

gallery_6134_1053_14741.jpg

from the left:

Hide (age 4), Julia (age 7) and Mia (age 9), on the right is is their friend Natsuki who lives upstairs.

In our school district all children are assigned to a han (a small neighborhood group) of about 10 kids, these groups meet every morning at an assigned area and an assigned time and walk to school together. Our group consists of 11 kids this year and I am the chikurenraku-in, which is basically the mother leader of the group, this year. This job has various duties and you will here more about them as the week goes on as I have a couple meetings to be attending tis week.

my washing machine just started singing, time to hang out the laundry.....

Manager, Membership

Kris, I really enjoyed your last blog. thank you for doing this again. It will be fun and interesting.....I'll add my list to the 'never have eaten pokey' people. But by the time your done blogging I promise to have eaten some!

Every day I will discuss a different kind of Pocky. We will start with the original Pocky that started it all.

gallery_6134_1053_40081.jpg

This was breakfast, I had 6 sticks and a large glass of iced coffee.

Awesome idea! Pokey & iced coffee for breakfast! I knew there was a way to work Pokey into that one remaining meal. I'll try to follow along at home with your daily flavour.

Really looking forward to this Kristin.

A.

Your kids are growing up!!!

You're very brave to start blogging on the first day of the school year.

For a while it looked as if Pocky were going to slowly disappear...on the one hand, the same nationalistic fervor that saved Apollo chocolates probably helped, on the other hand, they've certainly changed the face of Pocky as we used to know them!

How popular do you think the original Pocky are? And am I just imagining it, or do Pocky definitely have a "girl" image? ("Men's Pocky" notwithstanding!).

How popular do you think the original Pocky are? And am I just imagining it, or do Pocky definitely have a "girl" image? ("Men's Pocky" notwithstanding!).

Good questions.

I have to admit when I bought that package of original Pocky yesterday it was probably the first time in over 10 years!! Most of the Pocky I buy nowadays is usually the different flavored one.

It definitely has a girl image, can't explain how or why though.... I wonder if that is why they created the men's Pocky?

For all of you who have never tried it, this is your chance! :biggrin:

Manager, Membership

For those of you who might be unfamiliar with Pocky, click here to find out.

I haven't seen this in New York. Guess I have to go find out where now.

Soba

I've never tried it either, but I have seen it here in London, ON.

Im curious, your kids have American names, or are those the Japanese translations?

Those are their names, there are written with kanji (Chinese characters) in Japan though

Mia 未衣杏 Katherine

Julia 珠理杏 Rose

Hideyasu 秀康 Robert

Manager, Membership

I haven't seen this in New York.  Guess I have to go find out where now.

Soba

There's a place on the the south side W. 56th between 5th and 6th aves that has it. Otherwise, try Katigiri.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Kris, so glad you're blogging again. I admit to being a pocky addict (I can always sneak one of those when I can't sneak a cig!) and I have introduced my SO to the joys of pocky as well. Of course, he often insists we buy the "Mens pocky". I'm not sure if it's because he likes it better, or if it's just the name. You 'd think by 40 they'd get over that! :biggrin:

Your kids are still beautiful, although I can see how much they've grown since I last saw a photo. Really looking forward to the blog.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I haven't seen this in New York.  Guess I have to go find out where now.

Soba

They can be had at Han Ah Rheum in N.J.

They are good, but the ones I had (Men's Pocky, of course :laugh: ) were basically chocolate coated wafer cookies - not terribly unlike many others of that ilk. Nevertheless, somewhat addictive.

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am about to run out the door to our hanami on this beautiful day but wnat to show our bento lunch before it gets eaten.

gallery_6134_1053_46876.jpg

on the top is a bag of frozen (pre-boiled and pre-salted edamame) I use this as an ice pack

on the right is a pack of cookies made with adzuki beans

and the bento futomaki (fat rolls) with sausages and cherry tomatoes (for color).

This is a good example of modern Japan meeting traditional.

The bento has been around for ages but the sausages, and you will be hard pressed to find too many homemade bentos with out them, are a very modern addition.

the futomaki before rolling

gallery_6134_1053_11215.jpg

and just a bit ago my Tuesday co-op delivery arrived

gallery_6134_1053_22324.jpg

Manager, Membership

Kristin, one of the things I like best about your blogs is we get to see adorable pictures of your children. :wub:

Soba, it's my impression that all big Chinese supermarkets in Manhattan's Chinatown and Flushing sell some flavors of Pocky. Try Hong Kong Supermarket, for example. I'm almost 100% positive they have several flavors. A&C Supermarket in Flushing has a bunch of flavors.

Kristin, one of the things I like best about your blogs is we get to see adorable pictures of your children. :wub:

Soba, it's my impression that all big Chinese supermarkets in Manhattan's Chinatown and Flushing sell some flavors of Pocky. Try Hong Kong Supermarket, for example. I'm almost 100% positive they have several flavors. A&C Supermarket in Flushing has a bunch of flavors.

As well as some stores in Pan's neighborhood - JAS Mart on St. Mark's between 3rd and 2nd Aves., Sunrise Mart right off of 3rd Ave. around 9th St. (hopefully Pan can give a more specific address!), and M2M on 3rd. Ave. aaaand...I want to say 10th or 11th Sts.? (not quite sure)

And also a JAS Mart on Broadway between 111th and 110th Sts. :biggrin:

Kristin, I love your blogs!

Courtesy of www.superpages.com:

JAS Mart

133 2nd Avenue, New York, NY 10003

(212) 420-6370

JAS Mart LLC

2847 Broadway, New York, NY 10025

(212) 866-4780

Sunrise Mart

29 3rd Avenue, New York, NY 10003

(212) 598-3040

M 2M Mart Corporation

200 East 11th Street, New York, NY 10003

(212) 353-2698

M 2M Mart Corporation

2935 Broadway, New York, NY 10025

(212) 280-4600

M 2M Mart Corporation

25 West 32nd Street, New York, NY 10001

(212) 947-3760

I know only the 11th St. location of M2M, not the other two locations. But I guess this is probably just about enough of New York in Kristin's blog.

[newscaster voice]Back to Kristin in Yokohama.[/newscaster voice] :biggrin:

Edited by Pan (log)

well it is 6:30 pm and I should be making dinner.....

We had a really great day today we had about 8 women and 20+ kids show to our gathering today, unfortunately the cherry blossoms weren't quite ready yet. Of course that didn' t stop us from enjoying ourselves. :biggrin:

the view

gallery_6134_1053_14797.jpg

all the trees with a pink tinge are cherry blossoms and when in full bloom are just breathtaking.

a zoom in on one of the trees

gallery_6134_1053_51961.jpg

you can see that just a small amount are in full bloom

Hide with ice cream

gallery_6134_1053_31815.jpg

Julia rolling down a hill

gallery_6134_1053_59703.jpg

Mia with a friend

gallery_6134_1053_14714.jpg

For lunch we had the bento and snacks I had prepared as well as about 5 bought drinks and the kids all had ice cream cones.

My belated breakfast was all the end pieces of the futo maki rolls.

Dinner to come soon, my husband just walked in the door.....

Manager, Membership

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By chefmd
      My son married a lovely young lady from Yakeshi, Inner Mongolia, China.   Mongolian: ᠶᠠᠠᠠᠰᠢ ᠬᠣᠲᠠ (Ягши хот); Chinese: 牙克石; pinyin: Yákèshí

We had a wedding in the US but her family also wanted to have a traditional wedding in China.  DH and I have never being to China so this was an exciting opportunity for us!  We spent a few days in Beijing doing touristy stuff and then flew to Hailar.  There is only one flight a day on Air China that we took at 6 in the morning.  Yakeshi is about an hour drive from Hailar on a beautiful toll road with no cars on it.  I wish we took pictures of free roaming sheep and cows along the way.  The original free range meat.

The family met us at the airport.  We were greeted with a shot of a traditional Chinese spirit from a traditional leather vessel.  Nothing says welcome like a stiff drink at 9 AM.  We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

• By Panaderia Canadiense
      Wow, this is my third foodblog for the eGullet….  Welcome!   I'll be with you from Palm Sunday through Holy Sunday to give you all a taste of the veritable food festival that is Easter in Ecuador.  As usual, I intend to eat on the streets, visit a plethora of small shops and vendors, and talk about (and eat copious amounts of ) the specialty dishes of the holiday.

A bit of background on me and where I am.  I'm Elizabeth; I'm 33 years old and since the last foodblog I've ceased to be a Canadian expat in Ecuador, and become a full-fledged Ecuadorian citizen.  I run a catering bakery out of Ambato, and I deliver to clients on the entire mainland.  I've got a large customer base in nearby Baños de Agua Santa, a hot-springs town about an hour downslope of me to the east; I'll be visiting it on Wednesday with close to 100 kg of baked goods for delivery.  Ambato, the capital of Tungurahua province, is located almost exactly in the geographic centre of Ecuador.  It's at an average elevation of 2,850 meters above sea level (slightly higher than Quito, the capital) - but this is measured in the downtown central park, which is significantly lower than most of the rest of the city, which extends up the sides of the river valley and onto the high plain above.  We've got what amounts to eternal late springtime weather, with two well-marked rainy seasons.  Ambato has about 300,000 people in its metro area; it's the fourth largest city in the country.  But maybe the most important thing about Ambato, especially to foodies, is that it's a transport hub for the country.  Anything travelling just about anywhere has to pass through Ambato on the way; it gives us the largest, best-stocked food market in South America.  I have simply staggering variety at my fingertips.

This view, which was a teaser for the blog, was taken from my rooftop terrazzo.  It is a fraction of the panorama of the river valley that I see every morning, and since Easter is traditionally somewhat miserable weather-wise, the clouds stick to the hilltops.  The barrio you can see in the middle distance is Ficoa, one of the most luxury districts in the city.  Ambato is notable amongst Ecuadorian cities for having small fruit farms (300-500 m2) still operating within city limits and even within its most established barrios - it's from this that the Ambato gets one of its two sobriquets: The City of Fruits and Flowers.  The tendency for even the poorest barrios to take tremendous pride in their greenspaces gives the other: The Garden City.  My barrio, Miraflores Alto, is a working-class mixture of professors and labourers, and my neighbours keep a mixture of chickens, turkeys, and ducks in their yards; someone down the hill has a cow that I frequently hear but have never seen.  Consequently, if the season is right I can buy duck eggs from my neighbours (and if the season is wrong, entire Muscovy ducks for roasting.)

Today, I'll be doing my largest fresh-food shopping at the Mercado Mayorista, the largest market of its kind in South America - this place covers nearly 30 square blocks, and it exists to both buy and sell produce from across the country.  Sundays and Mondays it also opens up to a huge, raucous farmer's market where smaller quantities are available for purchase.  Sunday is the day of the freshest food and the largest number of vendors.  And I'm going to cross more than half the city to get there - I've moved since the last blog, and my new house, on the slopes of the river valley is further away than the old one on the high plain.  I promise to take many pictures of this - particularly close to the High Holy days, the Mayorista is alive with vendors and there will be special sections cordoned off for sales of bacalao, truly enormous squashes, and if it follows the previous years' trends, a festival of Hornado (about which more later).  Apart from mangoes, which are just finishing up their season, it is harvest time across the country, and the Mayorista will be well stocked with all manner of fruits and vegetables.

To start us off, I'll demystify one of my teasers a bit.

The Minion head that peeks out of my cupboard every day belongs to my jar of ChocoListo, the Ecuadorian equivalent of chocolate Ovaltine.  Since I gave up coffee for Lent, it's my go-to morning beverage.  ChocoListo normally comes in the plain white jar with orange lid that you see in front of the Minion; that's now my hot chocolate jar because I just couldn't resist when the company came out with the specialty jars.  I firmly believe that one is never too old to have whimsical things!

• By therese
      Good morning, y’all, and welcome to the party chez Therese.
      As per the teaser, this week’s foodblog does indeed come to you from Atlanta, where I live with my two children (hereafter known as Girl and Boy) and husband (hereafter known as The Man). Girl is 11, Boy is 14, and The Man is old enough to know better.
      Atlanta’s huge: the total metro population is about 4 million, and there are no physical boundaries to growth like rivers or mountain ranges, so people just keep moving (and commuting) farther and farther out of town. Atlantans can be divided into ITP (inside the perimeter) and OTP (outside the perimeter), the perimeter referring to the interstate freeway that encircles the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods, separating it from outlying suburbs. The politically minded may note that these areas could be designated red and blue. I’ll let you figure out which is which.
      We’re about as ITP as it gets, with home, work, school, and restaurants all in walking distance. The neighborhood’s called Druid Hills, the setting for the play/movie “Driving Miss Daisy”. The houses date from the 1920s, and because Atlanta has so little in the way of “old” buildings the neighborhood’s on the National Register as a Historic District. Charming, sure, buts lots of the houses need some updating, and ours (purchased in 1996) was no exception. So we remodeled last year, including an addition with a new kitchen, and this week’s blog will look at the finished product.
      So, some encouragement for those of you presently involved in kitchen renovation, some ideas for those who are considering it.
      But never mind all that for the moment: What’s for breakfast?

Dutch babies, that’s what. And even better, these Dutch babies are produced by my children, the aforementioned Girl and Boy. The first picture is right from the oven, the second is after the somewhat messy job of sifting powdered sugar on top. They are delicious (the Dutch babies, I mean, not the children) and a great weekend treat.

The Man drinks coffee in the morning whereas I prefer tea. He's not up yet, having played poker last night. I'm hoping he makes it out of bed in time for dinner.

I also eat fruit whereas he prefers, well, anything but fruit. This is not such a bad thing, as it means that I don’t have to share the fruit. Pomegranates are a pain to eat, but not so bad if you’re reading the newspaper at the same time. This one’s from California, but you can also grow them here if you’ve got enough sunshine (which I don’t).
    • By Shelby
      Good morning, everyone and happy Monday!  

It's me again....that girl from Kansas. 

This is VERY spur-of-the-moment.  I was sitting here yesterday thinking of all of the canning etc. that I needed to do this week and I thought, well, why not ask you guys if you want to spend the week with me while I do it?  I got the ok from Smithy so away we go!

This will not be nearly as organized as my first blog was.  But, really, when does a sequel ever measure up to the first?     

Most of you know all about me--if you missed my first blog you can read it here.

Nothing much has changed around here.  Same furry babies, same house, same husband  .

Right now we have field corn planted all around the house.  In the outer fields we have soybeans that were planted after the wheat was harvested.  Sorry for the blur....it was so humid the camera kept fogging up.

I just came in from the garden.

I snapped a few pictures....for more (and prettier) pictures you can look in the gardening thread.  I always start out saying that I will not let a weed grow in there.  By August I'm like..."Oh what's a few weeds" lol.

Here's a total list of what I planted this year:

7 cucumbers
      8 basil
      23 okra
      4 rows assorted lettuce
      20 peppers-thai, jalapeño, bell, banana
      4 rows peas
      5 cilantro
      1 tarragon
      2 dill
      many many red and white onions
      7 eggplant
      3 rows spinach
      57 tomatoes
      5 cherry tomatoes
      7 rows silver queen sweet corn
      11 squash
      4 watermelon
      2 cantaloupe
      6 pumpkin

I killed the cantaloupes...and I tried damn hard to kill the squash lol.....sigh...squash bugs came early this year and we sprayed with some kind of stuff.  WOW the plants did not like it, but they've come back and are producing.

I just love okra flowers

Found some more smut   

• By Pille
      Tere õhtust (that’s „Good evening“ in Estonian)!
      I’m very, very, very excited to be doing my first ever eGullet foodblog. Foodblogging as such is not new to me – I’ve been blogging over at Nami-nami since June 2005, and am enjoying it enormously. But this eGullet blog is very different in format, and I hope I can ’deliver’. There have been so many exciting and great food blogs over the years that I've admired, so the standard is intimidatingly high! Also, as I’m the first one ever blogging from Estonia, I feel there’s a certain added responsibility to ’represent’ my tiny country
      A few words about me: my name is Pille, I’m 33, work in academia and live with my boyfriend Kristjan in a house in Viimsi, a suburb just outside Tallinn, the capital of Estonia. I was born and schooled in Tallinn until I was 18. Since then I've spent a year in Denmark as an exchange student, four years studing in Tartu (a university town 180 km south), two years working in Tallinn and seven years studying and working in Edinburgh, the bonnie & cosmopolitan capital of Scotland. All this has influenced my food repertoire to a certain degree, I'm sure. I moved back home to Estonia exactly 11 months and 1 day ago, to live with Kristjan, and I haven't regretted that decision once Edinburgh is an amazing place to live, and I've been back to Scotland twice since returning, but I have come to realise that Tallinn is even nicer than Edinburgh
      I won’t be officially starting my foodblog until tomorrow (it’s midnight here and I’m off to bed), but I thought I’ll re-post the teaser photos for those of you who missed them in the 'Upcoming Attractions' section. There were two of them. One was a photo of Tallinn skyline as seen from the sea (well, from across the bay in this case):

This is known as kilukarbivaade or sprat can skyline A canned fish product, sprats (small Baltic herrings in a spicy marinade) used to have a label depicting this picturesque skyline. I looked in vain for it in the supermarket the other day, but sadly couldn’t find one - must have been replaced with a sleek & modern label. So you must trust my word on this sprat can skyline view
      The second photo depicted a loaf of our delicious rye bread, rukkileib. As Snowangel already said, it’s naturally leavened sour 100% rye bread, and I’ll be showing you step-by-step instructions for making it later during the week.

It was fun seeing your replies to Snowangel’s teaser photos. All of you got the continent straight away, and I was pleased to say that most of you got the region right, too (that's Northern Europe then). Peter Green’s guess Moscow was furthest away – the capital of Russia is 865 km south-east from here (unfortunately I've never had a chance to visit that town, but at least I've been to St Petersburgh couple of times). Copenhagen is a wee bit closer with 836 km, Stockholm much closer with 386 km. Dave Hatfield (whose rural French foodblog earlier this year I followed with great interest, and whose rustic apricot tart was a huge hit in our household) was much closer with Helsinki, which is just 82 km across the sea to the north. The ships you can see on the photo are all commuting between Helsinki and Tallinn (there’s an overnight ferry connection to Stockholm, too). Rona Y & Tracey guessed the right answer
      Dave – that house isn’t a sauna, but a granary (now used to 'store' various guests) - good guess, however! Sauna was across the courtyard, and looks pretty much the same, just with a chimney The picture is taken in July on Kassari in Hiiumaa/Dagö, one of the islands on the west coast. Saunas in Estonia are as essential part of our life – and lifestyle – as they are in Finland. Throwing a sauna party would guarantee a good turnout of friends any time
      Finally, a map of Northern Europe, so you’d know exactly where I’m located:

Head ööd! [Good night!]
      I'm off to bed now, but will be back soon. And of course, if there are any questions, however specific or general, then 'll do my best trying to answer them!