• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: torakris - Pocky and the geisha

It's not Pocky but in Canada there is a "gentei-hin" (limited edition) of Pretz in maple flavour![...]

I would buy that! I've never seen that in New York. Is it available in Japan? I guess it would be expensive there. Also, how much does maple syrup sell for in Japan and what are some popular toppings for sweet pancakes?

Michael aka "Pan"

It's not Pocky but in Canada there is a "gentei-hin" (limited edition) of Pretz in maple flavour![...]

I would buy that! I've never seen that in New York. Is it available in Japan? I guess it would be expensive there. Also, how much does maple syrup sell for in Japan and what are some popular toppings for sweet pancakes?

I don't recall ever seeing a maple pretz here in Japan.

Maple sryup is quite expensive here, 250ml (one cup) bottles sell for about $7 to $8, I buy a massive jug at Costco in the US and make it last for a year....

Pancakes are pretty popular here, they are called hottokekki (hotcake) and theya re eaten more as a snack than breakfast.

Even McDonald's sells them. (look at teh 105 yen menu near the bottom) they are mini versions with cream and a fruit sauce, they sell regular American style ones for breakfast.

A popular topping is chocolate sryup and whip cream, this is how they are often sold in restaurants as a child's meal (anytime of day).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

For those of you who might be unfamiliar with Pocky, click here to find out.

I haven't seen this in New York.  Guess I have to go find out where now.

Soba

All you have to do is take the B,D,N,Q or F to Chinatown. Walk into virtually any grocery and you'll find stacks. Hell, buy a case full. They're pretty cheap, depending on the store. A lot sell for the bargain price of 1.69 box. Okay, so Japanese snacks aren't exactly a bargain, but you get what I mean.

I just saw the Men's Pocky for the first time.  :laugh:

I don't think I'll be purchasing it, as I am not manly enough. Is there a difference in flavor or um...size perhaps?  :raz:

It's dark chocolate. Yes, I had to try it. I suppose eating dark chocolate on a slightly phallic biscuit is more manly than milk chocolate.

Edited by Transparent (log)

breakfast

gallery_6134_1053_665.jpg

just like my mom used to make them.... :biggrin:

I the kids ate them with maple sryup and I ate them plain. I prefer pancakes with jam but we are out and I didn't want to use sryup becasue that means I would dirty a dish...

did I ever say I was really lazy....

I am on my second glass of iced coffee and in th time since I last posted I have had an early morning meeting with all of the mother's for our local group of kids, gotten the kids off to school and been to 2 video stores.

I had to return our videos before 10:00 and I pulled into the parking lot only to remember that I had rented them from a different store last week...... It is going to be one of those days.

On Weds I normally babysit about 5 hours for a little 7 month old boy, but his mother just called and had to cancel for today because they were both sick, so I will probably get some errrands run today.

I will try to do as much walking as possible since gas prices are at the highest I have ever seen since being in Japan. They have just jumped to 120 yen (about $1.10) a liter, so that is almost $4.50 a gallon....

what's the availability of western foodstuffs in Japan? pocky (as we've been discussing) can be found somewhat readily in North America (depends on where you are I suppose), but does it go the other way too - can you buy, say, KitKats and Mars bars in Japan? and if so, are they adapted for the Japanese market? (green tea and bean flavourings seem to be popular - green tea KitKats sound pretty feasible to me :biggrin:)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

what's the availability of western foodstuffs in Japan? pocky (as we've been discussing) can be found somewhat readily in North America (depends on where you are I suppose), but does it go the other way too - can you buy, say, KitKats and Mars bars in Japan? and if so, are they adapted for the Japanese market? (green tea and bean flavourings seem to be popular - green tea KitKats sound pretty feasible to me :biggrin:)

matcha kit kat!

gallery_6134_91_1100749404.jpg

These are really good. :biggrin:

The availability of western food stuff really depends on where you live. I ive in Yokohama and am just about 20 minutes away from Tokyo so I can find most western foods somewhere. There are a couple International markets in Tokyo that cater to the ex-pat groups and we can find many things there from back home. Many larger Japanese supermarkets also stock quite a few foreign products.Though as with all imports they can get pricey...

There are only a couple things here that I have yet to find, like buttermilk and Sour Patch kids...

I am about to run out the door to our hanami on this beautiful day but wnat to show our bento lunch before it gets eaten.

gallery_6134_1053_46876.jpg

on the top is a bag of frozen (pre-boiled and pre-salted edamame) I use this as an ice pack

on the right is a pack of cookies made with adzuki beans

and the bento futomaki (fat rolls) with sausages and cherry tomatoes (for color).

This is very interesting Torakris! Stupid as this sounds I've never seen an example of "normal" daily life in Japan, only what's on tv as my window to the world so this is my introduction, thank-you. I love the concept of the children gathering and walking together.........I think it's brilliant and I wish my neighbors would learn of this and impliment it. In my part of the world people only look out for themselves so it's nice to see people come together. Do they do this for security or to be helpful?

I have never managed to talk my husband into Japanese dining and I have been to scared to go it alone. So please forgive me I know next to nothing about your food. But I'm very curious/interested!

The photo of the bento lunch, is that for 1 person? Also the homemade sausages have me stumped..........are the homemakers actually making meat sausages? Also do you send any sauces with for dipping?

P.S. Your children are adorable!

I love the concept of the children gathering and walking together.........I think it's brilliant and I wish my neighbors would learn of this and impliment it. In my part of the world people only look out for themselves so it's nice to see people come together. Do they do this for security or to be helpful?

The photo of the bento lunch, is that for 1 person? Also the homemade sausages have me stumped..........are the homemakers actually making meat sausages? Also do you send any sauces with for dipping?

First the walking together.

This is mostly for saftey, but it is aslo a way to get the kids and neighbors to know each other. Community is quite important in Japan, though in some parts it seems to be disappearing. There is some sort of community group in most areas of Japan and basically you are a member wether you want to be or not, the leader position also rotates and everyone WILL get their turn. How ever much you want to participate is up to you. Some areas hold lots of events, others do nothing. There are also children's community groups and I am a leader for that this year as well as it is tied together with my other leadership responsibility.

I am fortunate to live in a wonderful neighborhood were everyone looks out for everyone else and they are always there to help a neighbor.

the bento was for myself and the 3 kids, the futomaki were 3 layers deep. I am sorry if I confused you about the sausages, they are NOT homemade and most Japanese people do not make their own sausages. Sausages in this style are vERY popular in Japan and show up on Japanese tables in some way a couple times a week.

Normally I would eat futomaki with soy sauce, but it can get messy so I just seasoned all of the individual ingredients well enough that no sauce was needed.

It is 12:30 and I am starving but mia still hasn't come home from school yet. It is a half day, no lunch, so she should be here soon. I have already promised Hide I will take them to McDonald's, the poor boy has been having a bad day.

I have no idea what to have for dinner, I normally plan a couple days of meals at a time but haven't done anything tis week. I guess I will just do the typical Japanese thing and just pick up what looks good at the store! :biggrin:

My six year old is well aware of Pocky. Chocolate of course. I wonder if Kristin has the same problem we do with multi-cultural children. That is cross-cultural awareness of children's characters and products.

You don't have a kimono?

My kid's are quite familiar with many of the US characters and probably know American ators/actresses than they do Jaapnese ones. We tend to watch more US television and movies because I don't care much for Japanese programming.

They can point out Tom Hanks, Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy in a second.

American characters are also quite popular here, Power Puff Girls were quite popular a while back and even sponge bob has been showing up recently.

I do not own a kimono and have never worn one... :shock:

I have Korean male Han Bok, tailored made (a gift from the in laws). Wedding photos and family portraits! I have the aristo/king's hat too, along with the toque. :laugh:

Sorry if I sounded archaic, not my intent. The dress is beautiful, the children get new ones every year. :smile:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

i was asking Mia if her new male teacher was young or old, her answer? I don't know Mom but he looks just like Austin Powers....in Goldmember..... :wacko:

Now you know what kind of tv my kids watch.....

:laugh: My nephews (8 and 11) absolutely loved the Austin Powers movies.

Not to be too repetitive, but allow me to add my thanks for blogging again and to say how adorable your kids are!

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Kris, I just read thru a previous blog you did on the New Year. It was WONDERFUL!

I really enjoyed seeing your photographs....more then words can tell you.

There were a couple issues that amazed and confused me. You don't have a dryer, oh my, so when the weather is bad what do you do? ........just put off doing laundry...but with 3 children that must be hard? Do you have private yards in which to hang your clothes?

Also I'm confused by some of the photos of your food before cooking. It appears like alot of items are dried and come in packages, is that correct? I'm just assuming that because of the packaging looks like what I see in the asian grocery isles of my grocery stores....but maybe Japan has different packaging then in the States? Do you shop often?

Is there any chance I could talk you into photographing what's in your refridgerator? I don't mean to be a snoop, it's just a basic curiosity (I'm like a kid that way, sorry), wondering how yours looks compared to mine........

Is there any chance I could talk you into photographing what's in your refridgerator? I don't mean to be a snoop, it's just a basic curiosity (I'm like a kid that way, sorry), wondering how yours looks compared to mine........

Only for you Wendy... :biggrin:

the door

gallery_6134_1053_35476.jpg

the main part

gallery_6134_1053_34543.jpg

the vegetable drawer

gallery_6134_1053_25265.jpg

the freezer (it is not usually this empty)

gallery_6134_1053_7025.jpg

and my collection of rice and the hardier vegetables

gallery_6134_1053_2320.jpg

I will get to more of your question but first lunch.

We were in the car headed to McDonalds when Hide suddenly vomited all over the back seat.... :sad:

I had no towels in the car but I found some t-shirts inside my husband's bag of football gear (it is too big--has shoulder pads, helmets etc-- and we have no place to store it in the house, so we keep it int eh bag of the car) I used the shirts to clean him up and the car as best as I could. We then headed back home.

I ended up making ham, lettuce and mustard sandwiches on wheat.

gallery_6134_1053_17554.jpg

and Hide is fine, no fever and playing like nothing happened....

I am not sure what that was....

Now I have cleaned the car, sprayed it with febreeze and the clothes are in the washing machine...

and I have just rewarded myself with today's pocky!!

gallery_6134_1053_11725.jpg

coconut pocky

probably my all time favorite

:laugh:

The Pocky people are going to wonder about the sales blip this blog causes!

Hope Hide feels better. I am enjoying this blog very much, btw, thanks!

Oh, and older kids still do the peace sign thing for photos, I have some 20-something friends who do it every time a camera is in the vicinity :raz:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

There were a couple issues that amazed and confused me. You don't have a dryer, oh my, so when the weather is bad what do you do? ........just put off doing laundry...but with 3 children that must be hard? Do you have private yards in which to hang your clothes?

dryers are still not commonplace in Japan. I have a yard, which it quite rare in suburban Japan, so I hang mine out there.

gallery_6134_1053_47590.jpg

this is the view of the laundry from my backyard

the 2nd and 3rd floors of my building

gallery_6134_1053_33739.jpg

and the two houses next door

gallery_6134_1053_31482.jpg

It took me a while when I first came to Japan to get used to seeing apartment buildings with laundry hanging off the balcony as we drove on the freeway through the heart of Tokyo.

let me show you the rest of my yard! :biggrin:

my raspberry plants, I transplanted the tall one in the back (along with 3 others that didn't make it) from my in-laws house in November, now it is spreading all over!

gallery_6134_1053_84329.jpg

the big tree in the middle are kumquats and the smaller tree on the right is sudachi (a Japanese citrus), the front row from the left:

bay leaf (I have been using these a lot), rosemary and thyme, fig with a planter of Italian parsley and oregano behind it and the last rectangular box is baby leaf lettuces that I just planted on Sunday.

gallery_6134_1053_37701.jpg

our 3 grills (we love to BBQ)

gallery_6134_1053_417.jpg

Hide on the slide

gallery_6134_1053_25813.jpg

the back part of our house faces directly south we get great sun all day long.

Also I'm confused by some of the photos of your food before cooking. It appears like alot of items are dried and come in packages, is that correct? I'm just assuming that because of the packaging looks like what I see in the asian grocery isles of my grocery stores....but maybe Japan has different packaging then in the States? Do you shop often?

dried foods are pretty common here, sort of like canned goods in the US, it is easy to keep them on hand for when they are needed. I think in general the food packaging is pretty similar, though normally smaller sizes.

How much I shop depends on how well I plan my menu for the week and how far away we are to our next paycheck. The majority of Japanese get paid once a month (on the 25th of the month) and it can take some getting used to to spread the money over the whole month. :biggrin: I tend to shop more frequently and spend more just after payday.... my husband is on a slightly different schedule so our payday will be this Friday, so I am actually in my poorest part of the month.

Including my Tuesday co-op delivery I probably shop about 3 times a week.

I forgot to mention that for lunch I also had a large glass of water. Except for breakfast I drink water with all other meals.

Now as a small snack I am having a glass of grapefruit juice, I love grapefruit juice. :biggrin:

I have loved reading this blog so far. I've always been a big fan of Pocky. They even sell it at my school, in the convenience store! I was delighted when I saw that!

How funny about the laundry information! I don't pay attention much to what the weatherman says. I live in Seattle, so I sometimes check the weather on the news, sometimes not, but I generally look outside to see what the weather is like, then dress for rain. ;o) I suppose that I'd think about it more if I had to worry about drying my clothing.

Misa

Sweet Misa

I forgot to add that on the morning news they even have laundry information telling you the chance of your laundry drying that day....

it looks like this

Excellent blog and what a fab idea about the laundry forecast. Would have loved to have had that when I lived in Melbourne and didn't have a dryer!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Week before payday...that's a Japanese way of life, isn't it!

What are your favorites for the week before payday? We sometimes have beansprout rice around then. The chopped up bits of beansprout cooked together with fried tofu, a sprinkling of sesame oil, and rice are surprisingly good.

Must stopping reading Kris' blog and go and cook my own family's dinner! :laugh: