• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining suggestion needed for 2nite w/ 6 YO kid

ejebud

I'm familiar with all the mediocre offerings on Rt 10 in the area, but is there a diamond in the rough in the casual dining genre that I'm forgetting or may not know about?

Don't know Rte. 10 very well but do know kids. A hibachi place can be fun, the sushi place down by Livingston Circle might work (most kids like white rice and tempura chicken will substitute for nuggets in a pinch). Don Jose's by the Home Depot looks like it has a decent kids menu:

Don Jose rte 10.

The link is to the dinner menu so you can see if that would work for you.

If all else fails, if there is an Applebees try them. They have the blue boxed brand of Mac and Cheese on the menu which most kids will go for. Not sure what you would get though : )

Good luck.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Well I first want to thank all those who replied. We made a most unfortunate decision and went to Bogey's. BLECH!!! first of all they offered Zero in the way of NA beer. I do not drink(anymore; read between the lines here folks) they had nada. We ordered chix fingers for the kid, a cheddar burger with sauteed onions, and a rack o' baby backs. The ribs came with soup or salad. I chose the "Crab" Bisque. BIG MISTAKE!!! Sealeg slurry would have been a more accurate description. PPTTEWIE; someone please sandblast my tongue!! Next the burger came out without the sauteed onions but that was quickly fixed by our waitress. The ribs; O man, the ribs. They took the phrase dry as a bone to a new level. The only real edible thing was the french fries.

Oh well, better luck next time.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

when the cheap loud fast fun thing hits again...just go to Chiles its all "fine"

...and one night soon after going to a steak house for a shoe I mean steak...I went to a Chiles and described just how extremely rare I wanted my steak ...now it wasnt the best piece of meat in the world but the damn thing was indeed screaming, fighting back rare as ordered

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

when the cheap loud fast fun thing hits again...just go to Chiles its all "fine"

Yea, we went to Chili's last weekend and had our fill of Boneless Shanghai Wings and Southwest Spring rolls. It sure wasn't Cheescake Factory good, but it was fast and relativeley inexpensive. Word of cuation to those considering having children: Your dining standards WILL shift as much as you may hate to think that they won't. <sigh> But it's worth it; at the end of the day, It's worth it!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Yea, we went to Chili's last weekend and had our fill of Boneless Shanghai Wings and Southwest Spring rolls. It sure wasn't Cheescake Factory good, but it was fast and relativeley inexpensive. Word of cuation to those considering having children: Your dining standards WILL shift as much as you may hate to think that they won't. <sigh> But it's worth it; at the end of the day, It's worth it!!

The only problem I have had with Chili's is the S L O W service, with three ancy kids that can be a MAJOR draw back.

Now this was not here but it in two differnent cities. Maybe Rt. 10 has a better expiditer.

And yes, your dining standards shift! Worth it. They can shift back later.

AlisonA

What happened to all the kudos for American Grill? Isn't that right near East Hanover? Lou, Rosie, I think this would be a great place for this person to go!! (You won't find American Grill in Zagat!)

AAG might not be right for the wrong 6 year old. Did that come out right? No harm meant--believe me. But I'll let Lou weigh in officially.

Next time, if you like Indian, go to Saffron! They're right on Rt 10 in E. Hanover, and they are extremely kid-friendly. Don't let the attractive space fool you--this is definitely a family-friendly spot for either lunch or dinner! As you'll see by the comments on that thread, the food is excellent.

Bill & Harry's Chinese (in the small strip right after McD's) is also terrific, and is family-friendly. Haven't been to Panevino in a while, but it's definitely ok for kids as well.

Finally, if you head south from E. Hanover to Madison (all of 4-5 miles), hit Firehouse Pizza on Central Ave some time! Nicky has been putting out great 'red-sauce Italian' and pizzas for years, and it's always full of kids. In the summer they even put out kid-sized picnic tables on the patio so the adults can at least have their own tables.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

AAG might not be right for the wrong 6 year old.  Did that come out right?  No harm meant--believe me.  But I'll let Lou weigh in officially.

Next time, if you like Indian, go to Saffron! They're right on Rt 10 in E. Hanover, and they are extremely kid-friendly.  Don't let the attractive space fool you--this is definitely a family-friendly spot for either lunch or dinner!  As you'll see by the comments on that thread, the food is excellent.

Bill & Harry's Chinese (in the small strip right after McD's) is also terrific, and is family-friendly.  Haven't been to Panevino in a while, but it's definitely ok for kids as well. 

Finally, if you head south from E. Hanover to Madison (all of 4-5 miles), hit Firehouse Pizza on Central Ave some time!  Nicky has been putting out great 'red-sauce Italian' and pizzas for years, and it's always full of kids.  In the summer they even put out kid-sized picnic tables on the patio so the adults can at least have their own tables.

I should add that my kids love the "hot dog in a bun" from the bakery/cafeteria side of Kan Man Market. There are plenty of options there for grown ups, especially if you go to the end of the counter the to "pho" area, where there is some seating too. Not for everyone but a good in a pinch type of place.

AlisonA

What happened to all the kudos for American Grill?  Isn't that right near East Hanover?  Lou, Rosie, I think this would be a great place for this person to go!! (You won't find American Grill in Zagat!)

American Grill is nowhere near East Hanover - it's in Randolph, about 15 miles and at least 30 minutes west on Route 10.

We go to American Grill via Rt 10. It's not that far from West Orange and we are near Pleasant Valley Way.

Fair enough, but 15 miles can be an awfully long ride with a hungry 6 year-old. :wink: (And wouldn't you be better off taking 280 to 287 and bypassing Route 10 through the horror that East Hanover has become?)

I'd have to say that An American Grill is not in the East Hanover area. Yes it's on route 10, yes it's not too far a ride, but I'd have to say that it's not in the immediate vicinity.

That being said, if I were taking out a 6 year old in the East Hanover area, I'd consider the Macoroni Grill across from the movie theater. The food--while not high end--isn't too bad, and kids really love drawing on the table with crayons. There are adult and child options, and they are extremely family friendly.

Sorry to hear about your lousy experience at Bogey's. I've never been, and after reading of your experience, I'm in no hurry.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

1. O.K., Bogie's is 8 minutes from The Grill and exactly 6 1/4 miles.

2. I love kids and they are always welcome. The fruits of this are evident now as those parents that brought their 6, 7 & 8 yr old when I opened 11 years ago are now calling to let me know those kids are dating now and need a reservation. What better way to impress a date when you're 17 then to have the owner come over to say hello.

3. East Hanover isn't bad now traffic-wise as Ridgedale Ave construction is finished AND a extra lane has opened both East but most importantly Westbound. I left Best Buy in East hanover today at rush hour and made it to The Grill in 17 minutes.

4. Thanks for the interest.

Lou

Edited by Lreda (log)

Lou, every one of your points is dead on right. When it comes to Rt. 10, it's all about the timing and the traffic. If you hit it right, you're really not far from anything. Personally, I come up the back way from Denville. :wink:

And I love #2! That's really a great testament to what you've built.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

wow, i'm surprised to hear people say an american grill is good for kids. we go out to eat often and we have discussed eating there a few times in the past few months, but i don't think i would feel comfortable bringing my infant there. i guess at some of the nicer restaurants i just don't feel like dealing with the evil eyes from some of the other patrons- it's generally not the staff.

but we do have date night once a week when we get a babysitter, so it's on our list for that!

I will second the suggestion for Penang -- the place is very loud, and very frequently has a lot of families bringing kids. Food is great if you like Southeast Asian type of food.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of six year olds would love Penang or Saffron.

Dad: "What would you like to eat tonight? How about a little beef satay or perhaps a little Pho?"

6 year old : "Dad, how about chicken fingers or Macaroni".

Dad: Come on now. We'll try something different. It'll be yummy.

6 year old: O.K. Dad.

2 hours later while trying to get 6 Year old to sleep and they're hungry you're hustling your ass to Wendy for a Combo.

What happened to all the kudos for American Grill?  Isn't that right near East Hanover?  Lou, Rosie, I think this would be a great place for this person to go!! (You won't find American Grill in Zagat!)

Don't worry, Lou, I recommended you 8 posts ago!! :biggrin:

Aren't you close to East Hanover?

Dad: "What would you like to eat tonight? How about a little beef satay or perhaps a little Pho?"

2 hours later while trying to get 6 Year old to sleep and they're hungry you're hustling your ass to Wendy for a Combo.

Tell that to all the six year olds I see there -- I think on Saturday we saw at least half a dozen of them. Mind you a few of them were screaming at the top of their lungs, but they WERE eating all kinds of stuff. In fact, I'm pretty sure they all shut up as soon as they got their food.

On the other hand, send all the screaming six year olds to Lou Reda. He loves them. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have not been to American Grill but I have been through crazy party runs on Rte 10 (funzone,bowling, even Michaels). I would re-recommend Don Jose again if, as is usually the case, you don't have the time to go the American Grill (adding 15-20 mintues commute time might not seem like a lot but when you have 45 minutes for dinner it becomes a sizable chunk.) In addition to chips/salsa/nachos on the menu they have CHICKEN fingers, plus food grownups might enjoy.

Depending on the kids, Penang might be a fine choice too. Can't say it'd fly with mine, but my niece sure.

AlisonA