• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Take-Out to Avoid in NYC?

brooklyncook

I had to get this experience off my chest, figuring that maybe someone else would read it and save themselves the trouble that I went through.

I called up Taste of India on 5th Ave. in Park Slope on Friday night, hungry for some good Indian food. The gentleman on the phone seemed, if anything, rushed.

"I'd like the chicken pakora, please."

"Chicken pakora -- okay, your phone number?"

"Well, I'd also like an order of naan --

"Naan."

"-- and an order of beef durku."

"Beef durku, okay, and your phone number?"

I gave him the phone number, and I could see him practically lunging to put the phone back on the cradle when I said, "Wait, is it possible to pay with a credit card?"

"Oh, your order has to be $15; you could get..." I forget what he suggested, but I opted for an order of vegetable pakora, because I am simply nuts about pakora. It's fantastic. But I digress.

The food was ordered, and I waited. Waited some more. Patience is a virtue.

Finally, 40 minutes or so later, the bell rings, and this gentleman delivers the food -- which came to $18 and some change. I tipped him, all was fair, and he left.

Then it struck me that an order of vegetable pakora was either $2.95 or $3.95; either way, the total was off somehow. And then I opened the bag.

No chicken pakora. I called them back.

Long story short, the guy said he DIDN'T HEAR ME SAY CHICKEN PAKORA, which I found fascinating, since he repeated it back to me. (He had said he was the guy who took the order.) "Oh, we didn't charge you for that." Then how, exactly, did we arrive at a total of $18 and some change, given that I was charged for the other items? I couldn't get a straight answer.

Hung up the phone, ripped up the menu, went through the food -- which was mediocre at best. It's a given, you can see, that I will NEVER order or even dine at that place again.

Has anyone else had severely bad occurrences with restaurants like this?

And in advance, my apologies if this is in the wrong thread/forum. I did look around first; I know that's a pet peeve to some.

I assume you mean Star of India, not Taste of India. The first time we ate there the bill did not seem to be what we thought it would be from the menu; possibly they are a bit challenged in this area.

I don't think there's any place in the neighborhood that can actually deliver food before it's cold. Whenever we get take out I go and pick it up myself. I find I get my food a lot faster that way.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I assume you mean Star of India, not Taste of India. The first time we ate there the bill did not seem to be what we thought it would be from the menu; possibly they are a bit challenged in this area.

I don't think there's any place in the neighborhood that can actually deliver food before it's cold. Whenever we get take out I go and pick it up myself. I find I get my food a lot faster that way.

You may be right. I'm not sure why Taste of India was in my head. I think I have a cookbook somewhere called that.

The food was actually hot -- that wasn't an issue. Just the quality -- you could tell it was a matter of the food sitting and not being delivered shortly thereafter (i.e. the pakora wrapped in foil).

A few months ago I ordered from Dawat.. An indian restaurant on 58th street. I happen to live on 46th street.. I have been eager to try this place and was really lazy that night.. So I decided to have it delivered.. I asked if they could deliver to me, despite the fact that i was far away.. He said sure no problem we deliver there.. I give me CC and about an hour and change later the food shows up.. On the bill there is like an extra 15 bucks.. I ask what this charge is.. The guy said its a delivery charge, i had to take a taxi.. I was pretty shocked needless to say. I paid the bill while still pissed about it.. The food appeared to be of high quality, but it must have sit awhile.. It was not good, but I can see it being really good in the place.

Anyway, after eating dinner... I called the manager.. He told me I was a block away from the free delivery zone.. He handle the situation very well despite the fact that I wasnt informed of this taxi charge before hand. He offered me a free dinner the next time i ordered.. I am obviously never ordering there again.. But will try eating there..

Jake's "Barb-Q" in Red Hook

UGH

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

This story is rather interesting.. About two years ago I was over at my friends apartment in Murray Hill.. He ordered food from this place called Iron Sushi.. The doorman buzzed the guy up and my friend was waiting for him in the hallway.. Well the delivery guy walks in the stairwell and then comes out and walks up to my friends apartment, this all occurred with my friend watching this guy.. After he received the food he went into the stairs to see what had happened.. It turns out the deliveryman urinated in the stairwell. My friend called the Iron Sushi and they fired guy and refunded his money.. That was pretty wild..

after one of the delivery men at sarges called me at home and offered to

"give me something extra" next time (no too pervily but enough to annoy me) I've started to order from 2nd ave deli. I've realised the access delivery men have to personal information and space, and have decided to be a bit more cautious.

Ladies, have your male neighbors or doormen take your deliveries. Strange men at your door can really, in the long run only lead to trouble. :wink: mommy lecture over.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

after one of the delivery men at sarges called me at home and offered to

"give me something extra" next time (no too pervily but enough to annoy me) I've started to order from 2nd ave deli. I've realised the access delivery men have to personal information and space, and have decided to be a bit more cautious.

Ladies, have your male neighbors or doormen take your deliveries. Strange men at your door can really, in the long run only lead to trouble.  :wink: mommy lecture over.

"Mikey, is he cute? Is he brown? Would he like to join us for a cocktail? Is he polite? Is he clean? Have him take off his shoes. Don't let him go!"

/swingers

:biggrin:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Patsy's on 23rd street in Chelsea--really, really, unusually rude service.

Two Boots West on 11th--a weirdly long time delivering anything even a few blocks away, yet the food tastes like it's been sitting around for a few hours...un-fresh seafood. Ergh. (And I love the original East Side Two Boots...)