• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
docsconz

Bacon Based Dessert

I had another wonderful meal last night at The Inn at Erlowest, one of my favorite restaurants. When the new dessert was described, I had to try it. It was called "The Bacon Experience." It consisted of a plate that on one side had three crisp circular bacon strips standing upright. On the bottom of each circle of bacon was a small quenelle of ice cream. The first was a bacon ice cream, the second spinach and the third orange. Interspersed around the plate were leaves of bacon-dusted "candied" spinach and there was a triangle of orange gelee over a shallot custard and finely chopped pecans. On top of that was backfat crisps.

This topic presents an interesting, but limited discussion on using bacon in the context of desserts, but this was the first dessert I have experienced or seen in which bacon was the centerpiece component and the overriding theme of the dessert. The bacon ice cream was astounding and worked beautifully with the crispy bacon circle. It was a stunning introduction to the dessert. It was a fine lead-in to the spinach ice cream and then the orange ice cream eaten last. The other components of the plate also 'worked". The candied spinach would probably open up many new avenues for spinach consumption for spinach-phobic children.

This dish brought my culinary day full circle as my day started with bacon and eggs for breakfast. It proved an extremely fun and enjoyable dessert. Though it won't displace chocolate from the pinnacle of my dessert/pastry experience, nor would I want to have it regularly(I would certainly have it again), it was a welcome surprise that added considerably to my overall experience of the meal (which was already quite wonderful). To me this is what creative cookery is all about. It doesn't have to be something I would necessarily want to eat all the time. It should be something that fits into a particular context and fulfills its intended purpose, i.e. tastes great, looks great and is fun. This is not mutually exclusive to more traditional fare. I believe each has its place.

Fascinating, John. Can you say more about the sweetness? (Having had breakfast at a local diner, I had lots of recent examples of syrup-dripping bacon floating around my head as I read that.) I can't tell if it was a play on an English-style savoury ending, or a sweet, or both (bacon 'n' syrup).

Chris, this was clearly a dessert and as such was sweet, but not overly so. This was balanced by the richness of the fat and saltiness of the bacon. It was this balance that really made it work as a dessert. Most of the sweet elements seemed to come from sugar or orange. In retrospect I'm surprised that there wasn't a maple component to the dish, although it didn't need one.

Makes sense. I'm trying to figure out the bacon/orange thing, which seems jumbled in me head; I can't figure how to make that work in my mouth. I wish I had a decent orange around here....

I agree: I think that it is precisely these sorts of fascinating combinations that make for remarkable dining. Or for spectacular bombs (not bombes). Thanks for sharing!

Makes sense. I'm trying to figure out the bacon/orange thing, which seems jumbled in me head; I can't figure how to make that work in my mouth. I wish I had a decent orange around here....

I agree: I think that it is precisely these sorts of fascinating combinations that make for remarkable dining. Or for spectacular bombs (not bombes). Thanks for sharing!

The combination is actually fairly intuitive. Have some orange juice the next time you have a slice of bacon.

I used to do a 'candied' bacon that was a component of a canteloupe sorbet plate at Magnolia Grill in Durham, NC. Also have you checked out the latest issue of Saveur?

Other than for an article by our own JJ Goode, no. What is in it?

Heston Blumenthal's (the Fat Duck) smoked bacon and egg ice cream served with French toast and tomato jam, come to mind immediately.

The Fat Duck is high on my list of restaurants to get to, but alas not yet. What did you think of that dish?

The latest Saveur has a mouthwatering article on bacon, including peanut butter bacon chocolate truffles (salted peanuts, peanut butter and bacon inside, then covered in dark chocolate). Also bacon baked until crispy with brown sugar. I'm dying to try both of these.

We need a drooling smilie :biggrin:

The latest Saveur has a mouthwatering article on bacon, including peanut butter bacon chocolate truffles (salted peanuts, peanut butter and bacon inside, then covered in dark chocolate). Also bacon baked until crispy with brown sugar. I'm dying to try both of these.

We need a drooling smilie :biggrin:

These do sound good. Is the sugar crisped bacon intended as a dessert item?

Sounds like it was a great experience! (drooling and tummy growling) :cool:

What do the tasting menus run at the Inn?

I sometimes drive to Montreal and this would be an interesting stop on a return trip perhaps.

-MJR

great dessert component for some time

first published version i have is from albert adria 98 bacon nougatine

I have used bacon and pork products in many ways

probably most original and tasty was bacon fat financier

smoked bacon routinely used to flavor truffles

flavor of salt and smoke and fat natural component to dessert

What struck me about this dessert was not that bacon was a component of it - that would have been pretty cool in its own right but not necessarily novel - but it was the centerpiece. It was the star of the show and it worked as a dessert. Obviously, due to the work of pastry chefs such as our own Michael Laiskonis and Will Goldfarb (aka akwa) as well as others, the boundaries of savory components as part or complete desserts have been greatly extended. I think this is much more difficult than extending the realm of the sweet into the savory courses and that much more satisfying when successful..

We're talking about the bacon crocant/ pinon ice cream Adria dessert, correct, akwa?

From 'Los Postres...'

Just want to make sure I didn't miss something :biggrin:

Sara Perry has book out called 'Everything Tastes Better with Bacon" and she has desserts in there too, it's good!

Sara Perry has  book out called 'Everything Tastes Better with Bacon" and she has desserts in there too, it's good!

Any idea what the desserts are like?

call me crazy but i always go out for dessert after scooping ice cream

from which i am retired

but i had

chinese style pork belly

braised with sugar and caramelized to high hell

for me this is sweet and savory end points to experience

calling it dessert is just my foolishness

by the way, sounds great,

orange and spinach and bacon, oh my

maybe with yogurt and orange flower water? and pedro ximenez

orange and spinach and bacon, oh my

maybe with yogurt and orange flower water? and pedro ximenez

Sounds like a good combo to me.

I mentioned this in the office this morning and one of the "girls" described a "dessert" she had at a restaurant in Santa Barbara last summer. Unfortunately she can't remember the name of the restaurant, only that it was on or near Stearns Wharf.

It was strawberries and crisp crumbled bacon rolled into a crepe with something that sounds like lemon curd.

I thought it sounded good. Mickie is not a cook and not much of a foodie so she isn't able to describe things the way we would. She said there was a sort of lemony cream stuff sort of like lemon pie filling, sliced strawberries and the crumbled bacon.

It was part of a brunch buffet service so she didn't order if off the menu and has no idea what it was called.

The bacon and egg icecream at the Fat Duck is excellent, but is part of the wider dish Bux mentions - tomato jam, french toast - you're supposed to put a bit of everything in your mouth simultaneously. I really loved it.

Although you start with the texture of ice cream, the flavours of smoked bacon and scrambled eggs come through so clearly, you almost feel as if you have the texture of those items as well. Same for his sardines on buttered toast sorbet.

Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, NC had a banana bacon cake on their menu a few months ago. It was quite tasty, with bits of bacon cooked into a cake that was basically a layered, fluffy banana bread. It was served with a heap of whipped cream, as all good desserts should be. The bacon was subtle but very good with the banana, and it gave the dessert an overall smoky, savory flavor. I was told by the waiter that it was an old recipe from New Orleans.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Needshave
      I’m trying to find a recipe to make caramel suitable for varegating or swirling into Ice cream when the ice cream is loaded out of the ice cream maker to the ice cream storage container. When swirled at this stage it crams a nice caramel swirl when dipping.
      I have made several attempts, first attempt tasted great but got stringy and difficult to cut with a spoon. If you wanted to you could pull it out like a Spiders web. A typical caramel sauce will just disappear into the ice cream and seems to break down into the ice cream. Another attempt it got very sandy when cold and had to be hot to be dispensed into the ice cream, causing the base to melt away. 
      Most useable commercial products seem to be heavy with corn syrup. I have tried that without success. Somehow I think that might be the key since the ingredient list for commercial caramel Variegate has it as the first ingredient and sweetened condensed milk the second item.

Appreciate any recipes or formulas for a Variegating caramel creme ripple you might be able to offer or your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    • By pastrygirl
      A mistake was made with my Albert Uster order this week and I received it twice.  Since it's shipped from CA, doesn't go bad, and I'll use it eventually, I'm not going to mess with trying to return the second delivery.  But now I have a huge amount of inventory so I thought I'd see if anyone here was looking for Felchlin by the bag. 

Each bag is 2kg (4# 7oz) in the following varieties and prices:

Maracaibo Creole 49%, $48
      Sao Palme 60%, $30
      Arriba 72%, $46

As for shipping, I can fit 2 bags in a medium flat rate box for $14 or 3 bags in a large box for $19 to go anywhere in the USA.  

If you'd like some, PM me with your selection, email, and shipping address.  I'll invoice you via Square and you can pay securely online with a credit card.

Thanks for reading!
    • By Glen
      Looking to learn and ask questions about home curing meats.  I have an 11 lb batch of genoa salami going and it is my first batch.  Worried about the PH level not dropping as needed.  Need some advice.   I followed the Marianski recipe exactly.  I have a pH meter and the starting point was 6.15pH which I thought was unusually high.  2.5 months in, I am about 73% of starting weight yet my pH is only 5.88pH.  My curing chamber is consistently at 57deg. F. /80% humidity.  My pH tester seems calibrated properly using the calibration solutions.  I am using the meat probe adapter and just sticking it in the salami until the tip is submerged etc...Thanks in advance for any suggestions or reassurances. 

Glen

• By Porthos
      @Smithy Your request gave me the imputes to finally word-process the recipe. My DW use Excel, which drives me to distraction.

Mom's Apple Raisin Walnut Cranberry Pie

4 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
      1 cup golden raisins
      1 cup walnuts
      1 cup fresh cranberries
      1/4 cup flour
      1 cup sugar
      2 tablespoons margarine or butter
      2 pie crusts to fit a 9- or 10-inch pie pan

Heat oven to 425F.
      In a large bowl, mix the first four ingredients.  In a small bowl, mix the flour and sugar together.  Sprinkle the flour/sugar mixture over the large bowl, mixing lightly with fingers.  Place first pie crust
      into pie pan, pricking with a fork.  Pour the fruit mixture into the pie shell.  Dot with the margarine or butter, then cover with second pie crust, crimping
      edges together and making sure top crust is vented.

Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then turn down oven to 350F for about 45 minutes.

*** I use Braeburn apples ***
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me?