• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reading Terminal Market (Part 1)

For the first Saturday of the summer at the Reading Terminal Market the word is: Cherries!

Pie cherries in abundance joined sweet dark Bings, Queen Anne's, and a new one to me, Emperor Francis (available at Benuel Kaufman's stand). The Emeror is a red sweet cherry, and is supposed to be good for making marischino type cherries and for canning, as well as eating out of hand. Prices ranged from $3.50-$3.95 a pint to $6.29-$6.95 a quart. I took pie cherries I purchased Thursday at the Fairmount market from an Amish vendor and turned it into sherbet in my ice cream maker. Incredible! As much as I enjoy sweet cherries (and I do, I do), pie cherries are the essence of cherry flavor. Tonight they'll go into a cobbler.

Local blueberries are making an apperance, too. Benuel Kaufman was selling them Saturday for $2.50 a half-pint, $3.95 a full pint. Over at Iovine's New Jersey blues were going for $1.99/pint.

Raspberries, black and red, also available, going for $3-$3.95 a half-pint (two for $5 at Kaufman's). Fair Food was selling conventional raspberries for $3 a half-pint, organics for $5.

Strawberries remained available at roughly the same price as cherries. Earl Livengood said that since the season is pretty much over in Lancaster County he's getting his from north of Harrisburg.

The first local peach of the season was spied at Fair Food Project: $2.25/pound for yellows. Also making it's season debut: local corn. Earl Livengood was selling it at 3/$1.85 or 65-cents apiece. I'll wait until mid to late July to start buying these items.

Over at Iovine's, black truffles available for $149.99/pound. Limes still 10 for a buck (lemons 3/$1). Pepper survey: red and greens 99-cents, oranges and yellows $2.99.

A pricing anomaly at John Yi's on wild salmon: sockeye $13.99, king $12.99 for filets. Usually the kings are more expensive. In this case the quality of the kings looked to this eye slightly better than the sockeye. Lots of frisky softshell crabs available. I'm still waiting for one of the RTM vendors to carry softshell steamer clams; Wegmans does.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

For the first Saturday of the summer at the Reading Terminal Market the word is: Cherries!

The first local peach of the season was spied at Fair Food Project: $2.25/pound for yellows. Also making it's season debut: local corn. Earl Livengood was selling it at 3/$1.85 or 65-cents apiece. I'll wait until mid to late July to start buying these items.

I saw peaches last week at Fair Food too. You might not want to wait, Bob! They smelled peachy so I got a few...... Tasted like mid-summer peaches! Sweet, juicy and peachy tasting! I was amazed!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

question of the day: are we headed toward a year of stone fruit that can measure up to last year? if the pie cherries i bought at haltemann's this week are any indication, the answer is yes.

(edited: haltemann's, not kauffman's. i got the sweet cherries at kauffman's)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

question of the day: are we headed toward a year of stone fruit that can measure up to last year?  if the pie cherries i bought at kauffman's this week are any indication, the answer is yes.

I'll let you know when I taste the apricots I bought today at Kaufman's. Based on the pie and sweet cherries, all indications are "go", at least for quality. Last year excellent apricots seemed to be around all summer.

Robert's Market Report

The apricots and cherries I bought at the various farmer's markets today were delicious. The apricots are really juicy and sweet.

Unfortunately, the peaches are hard as rock and not terribly juicy. I'm pretty unhappy about that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Unfortunately, the peaches are hard as rock and not terribly juicy.  I'm pretty unhappy about that.

It's not even July, Katie. A peach is a late summer fruit, despite the best efforts of commercial botanists. I generally stay clear of peaches until mid to late July, at the earliest. They really don't come into their own until August. I just don't think it's possible to find a good local peach before you can find a good local tomato.

Robert's Market Report

It's not even July, Katie. A peach is a late summer fruit, despite the best efforts of commercial botanists. I generally stay clear of peaches until mid to late July, at the earliest. They really don't come into their own until August. I just don't think it's possible to find a good local peach before you can find a good local tomato.

'course, in other places, peaches have a longer season: I ate maybe the best peach I've ever had in Tunisia a couple of weeks ago. So if the botanists aren't able to work their mojo, maybe global warming will turn Pennsylvania into a nice Sahel-like climate, and we'll have local peaches in June, hooray!

iovine's also had green peanuts again this week.  i may have been born a yankee, but i know what i like:

gallery_7799_1601_24010.jpg

boiled peanuts and sweet tea for an afternoon snack.  aaaaw yeah.

For us geographically challenged, how long does one boil peanuts (and is there anything else involved in the process?)

Thanks!

I generally stay clear of peaches until mid to late July, at the earliest. They really don't come into their own until August. I just don't think it's possible to find a good local peach before you can find a good local tomato.

I couldn't help being reminded of this famous exchange:

Lucy Van Pelt: It's too early. I never eat December snowflakes. I always wait until January.

Linus Van Pelt: They sure look ripe to me.

:-)

Beth, who very much enjoyed the nectarines I ate earlier this week, ripe and juicy!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

For us geographically challenged, how long does one boil peanuts (and is there anything else involved in the process?)

Thanks!

wash them real good and put them in a pot of water with a buncha salt. bring to a boil. cook till they are soft, like a cooked bean--you have to keep taking them out and tasting; it'll take anywhere from an hour to three or so, depending on how green and soft the peanuts are to start. these were real raw, so they cooked in just over an hour. if they're cooked but not salty enough, turn off the heat and let them cool in the brine and they'll absorb more. that's pretty much all there is to it.

eat with rc cola or sweet tea.

Margerum is a familiar name to anyone whose memory of the Reading Terminal Market goes back more than four years. From the day the market opened in 1892 until 2001, a member of the Margerum family sold foodstuffs there. That tradition continues at some of the city's farmers markets through Noelle Margerum and her sister Carole.

The Margerums have been at the Clark Park Farmers Market for the past few years, and this summer added the Fairmount & 22nd Street market. Carole was there today with fresh produce (beets, greens, bing cherries, etc.) as well as the Margerums flavored vinegars, which take on a colorful glint in the afternoon sun.

gallery_7493_1206_12533.jpg

Noelle comes in from South Jersey, Carole, in photo with the sisters' infused vinegars, hails from near York.

At today's Fairmount market Earl Livengood and his neighbor Sam Consylman urged buyers to take advantage of any cherries they see, because the recent rains have played havoc with the crop. The torrential downpours have caused many cherries to split, which ruins them for the fresh market. The bing cherries I found at Margerums were in fine shape, though, as were Earl's pie cherries.

Earl doesn't expect the rains have caused damage to the other stone fruits. As long as they get some sun as they ripe the apricots and peaches should be just fine. I finally tasted the apricots I bought Wednesday from Benuel Kaufman at the RTM, and although they were juicy they lacked flavor: the rains have diluted the fruit's subtle flavor. Sam Consylman thinks that will be cured with a few days of sun.

Robert's Market Report

Field-ripened tomatoes are making their way to the RTM. Earl Livengood was selling them today at $3.95/pound. We're still two or three weeks away from larger numbers and better quality, however. Among Earl's other products this week, just in time for Independence Day: boxes of "Red, White & Blue" potatoes (photo below): $1.25/half-pint, $1.95/pint, $3.75/quart.

gallery_7493_1206_45902.jpg

When the corn begins peaking the Livengood family will hold their annual corn roast and pot luck dinner. It's scheduled for July 30. More info by visiting the Livengoods when they open their stall in the city: Tuesday 2-7 p.m. at the South & Passyunk market, Thursdays 3-7 p.m. at Fairmount & 22nd, and Saturdays 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the RTM.

No more of the sweet, long red beets at Benuel Kaufmans, though he does have quart boxes of round ones at $2. Fruits at Kaufman's (photo below): peaches $3.95/quart, black raspberries $3.95/half-pint, red raspberries $4.95 ("no spray"), blueberries, red currants and two varieties of sweet cherries $3.95/pint; apricots $2.95/pint.

gallery_7493_1206_341366.jpg

Over at Fair Food Project similar prices on berries and fruit (and as at Kaufman's, lower prices for the conventional raspberries vs. organic or no-sprays), with the addition of gooseberries at $3.50/half-pint.

Out of season citrus fruit is on sale at Iovine's. I bought tangerines to section and serve in a beet salad with walnuts, red onion, goat cheese and raspberry shrub dressing. They are also selling raspberries from the Iovine's contract farm. Bell pepper survey: greens 99-cents, reds $2.99, oranges, yellows, browns and purples $3.99. We're still some weeks away from seeing local peppers.

For those who enjoy prickly bear (cactus pear) margaritas, you can obtain this delightful fruit at OK Lee. No price on the bin, so they must be free. (More likely $1 apiece, and you should figure one per serving.)

On the protein beat, the wild salmon pricing at John Yi's, which last week saw sockeye more expensive than king, has evened off: both were $12.95/pound today.

Wegmans is charging about $27/pound for prime dry aged beef steaks. Over at Harry Ochs, you can buy a nicely-trimmed, on-the-bone prime dry aged steak (minimum four weeks aging; six for porterhouse) for $16/pound.

Robert's Market Report

Thanks!

wash them real good and put them in a pot of water with a buncha salt. bring to a boil. cook till they are soft, like a cooked bean--you have to keep taking them out and tasting; it'll take anywhere from an hour to three or so, depending on how green and soft the peanuts are to start. these were real raw, so they cooked in just over an hour. if they're cooked but not salty enough, turn off the heat and let them cool in the brine and they'll absorb more. that's pretty much all there is to it.

eat with rc cola or sweet tea.

Thanks for the directions...tried em last week and they were great!

Bought some boiling peanuts the other day-- not at the RTM, but at the Italian Market-- and cooked them up last night. Man, are those things ever good. I plan to put in a good session of peanut-eating and beer-drinking this afternoon. (Because what better way to celebrate this great nation?)

Bought some boiling peanuts the other day-- not at the RTM, but at the Italian Market-- and cooked them up last night.  Man, are those things ever good.  I plan to put in a good session of peanut-eating and beer-drinking this afternoon.  (Because what better way to celebrate this great nation?)

Welcome back. I assume you are here to stay after your year in Rome.

I intend to visit the RTM very soon by train from Yardley. I am a very patient man.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Does anyone carry mulberries now?

I've never seen mulberries in nearly 25 years of shopping at the RTM. I have seen plenty of blackberries, however, a similar, though by no means identical, fruit. Blackberries should start showing up very soon.

Robert's Market Report

I've never seen mulberries in nearly 25 years of shopping at the RTM.

Whoa - I'd call that a big no! Have you ever seen some elsewhere in the city?

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

There's a tree on the sidewalk over in Powelton Village, not far from Zocalo. Probably not what you're looking for... but the price is right!

There's a tree on the sidewalk over in Powelton Village, not far from Zocalo. Probably not what you're looking for... but the price is right!

where is this tree? if its near zocalo i am only blocks away