• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I make moist bran muffins?

BobJones

Hi.

I've been trying to make bran muffins just like the ones I've bought from my favourite baker (Savary island Pies - West Vancouver).

Mine are just okay out of the oven, but become dry as they cool down.

The ones I buy are moist and tasty for a day or two.

I've tried adding sour cream and I've tried increasing the quantity of molasses.

Is there a secret I'm missing?

I notice that mine also don't have a high dome like the ones I buy but that not such a big deal.

Thanks

Can you post your recipe? I'd be interested to see what kind of (and how much) fat it uses, as well as how many eggs it calls for.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Can you post your recipe?  I'd be interested to see what kind of (and how much) fat it uses, as well as how many eggs it calls for.

I've tried a few. This is one but I increased the molasses to almost 1/2 cup and used more raisins:

3 Tbl butter

1/4 c molasses

1 egg

1 c bran cereal

3/4 c buttermilk

1 c all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c raisins

Thnaks for any help you can give me.

My favourite moist bran muffin recipes are the ones including various sorts of fruit puree (such as pumpkin or applesauce) or crushed pineapple, oil or not. That tends to hold the moisture better than a lot of oil in my experience.

I've also tried a few in which one soaks the bran first in hot boiling water; that also tends to keep it from sucking up all the liquid in the recipe later in the baking process.

At work we use applesauce in ours. Two #10 cans in a 27kg batch, if that's any help... :unsure:

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you substitute oatmeal for 1/4 of the dry ingredients you will have a moister muffin.

also add some crushed pineapple as noted by CompassRose or some applesauce as noted by chromedome.

Also adding sugar will help because sugar slowly releases moisture back into the baked item over time.

Oatmeal has the effect of holding moisture in baked goods. Any time you have a recipe that calls for high fiber ingredients that tend to cause dryness, adding oatmeal in place of some of the dry ingredients will give you a product that lasts longer, does not stale as rapidly and retains moisture. Think of oatmeal cookies that remain moist in the center weeks after they are baked.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you substitute oatmeal for 1/4 of the dry ingredients you will have a moister muffin.

also add some crushed pineapple as noted by CompassRose or some applesauce as noted by chromedome.

Also adding sugar will help because sugar slowly releases moisture back into the baked item over time.

Oatmeal has the effect of holding moisture in baked goods.  Any time you have a recipe that calls for high fiber ingredients that tend to cause dryness, adding oatmeal in place of some of the dry ingredients will give you a product that lasts longer, does not stale as rapidly and retains moisture.  Think of oatmeal cookies that remain moist in the center weeks after they are baked.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

There's a recipe for Honey Bran Muffins on epicurious that's really good and very moist. Muffins are still moist three days out, and tasty from the butter used. If you can't find the recipe let me know, and I'll post my version (I think I tweaked it a little, but the basic recipe was great and doesn't call for weird ingredients!!!!)

There's a recipe for Honey Bran Muffins on epicurious that's really good and very moist.  Muffins are still moist three days out, and tasty from the butter used.  If you can't find the recipe let me know, and I'll post my version (I think I tweaked it a little, but the basic recipe was great and doesn't call for weird ingredients!!!!)

Do you mean Honey Bran Muffins with Figs? When I typed in HBM that's what came up.

By the way, good to see you around again! :smile: I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you post for quite awhile.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm trying to figure out to to post a quote...but, in looking at the recipe posted by Eliot Roadburg, here's why the bran muffins aren't moist and why they won't dome. The recipe needs a remodeling job....but in the end, I'd find another recipe....

Vegetable oil is the most effective way to add the perception of moistness in quick-bread (muffin) recipes. Instead of butter, I'd add in some vegetable oil. Even a few tablespoons will help. (You can keep the butter for flavor, if you're not concerned about the fat content...and, if the recipe calls for melted butter, it's not as effective as increasing the perception of moisture as liquid oil is).

The idea of adding applesauce is a good one -- pectin in applesauce and certain fruit purees attract and retain moisture. (I still add in a few tablespoons oil as a flavor carrier). But, you may have to adjust other ingredients to get more tenderness, doming, etc.

The muffins won't dome in your recipe simply because there's too much bran and too little wheat flour. Flour helps make the muffins dome. (Also, bran also has a drying effect on a recipe.) Bran is a structure wrecker and in essence breaks down the dome structure -- it essentially "cuts" the gluten strands formed from mixing wheat flour and moisture.

One egg may not be enough -- two may be better. The moisture in eggs add "puff" to a recipe (steam when heated), structure (egg whites) and perception of moisture (fat in egg yolks)!

If you add in more flour, the baking powder can increase slightly, helping the muffins dome more....

As you increase the sugar, the doming effect will go down. Sugar is a tenderizer, so as you tenderize (the gluten proteins in flour) more, you wreck the structure of the dome! But, you have to find the balance between flour (structure builder) and sugar to get the right doming effect!

And, baking temperature makes a difference, too whether or not your muffins will dome (in conjunction with the proportion and type of ingredients used)......

But, in all, I'd select another recipe -- because this one needs too many changes to get what you want!! You may want to try mine http://baking911.com/recipes/qb/muffins_b911_bran.htm My low-fat Buttermilk Bran Muffin Recipe is posted on http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/104497/

Edited by Sarah Phillips (log)

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

Sarah,

Thank you for the recipe. I tried it last night and they were very light and tasty.

....but......

not quite what I was looking for.

The bran muffins I buy are much darker (chocolate brown) and almost sticky. I'm not sure if I'm describing them properly.

I found this photo on the web which sort of looks right. (Not the bakery where I buy mine) The ones I buy are maybe just a little darker.

Bran Muffin Picture

Thanks for your help.

Eliot,

Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed my recipe.

I know exactly the type of muffin you're looking for! I don't have a recipe, but there's a bakery in California that makes the best bran muffins that you're describing -- They dome slightly from baking on top of the muffin tin, are moist, are heavy with bran, have honey in them or some sort of liquid sugar, have a good flavor -- whenever I visit my parents there, I go into this bakery and order them everyday for breakfast.....They aren't yucky like similar ones I've tasted and don't have an overpowering honey flavor

I can probably create the recipe for you (because I have the taste and texture in my head) when I have some time next week (I'd like to create a recipe for myself, too because they won;t give out their's -- I asked!).....or, look at some recipes and see if I find one and show you how to tweak it....Now, I have an idea what you're looking for..............

Just from the top of my head I think the recipe had the following ingredients: there was definitely liquid sugar used, hence the stickiness (I didn't taste molasses in mine -- I did taste honey, maybe some brown sugar, too -- which does has some molasses), there wasn't sour cream -- there was probably milk or buttermilk--.... lots of vegetable oil (hence the moistness and texture)-- I doubt there was butter --- probably more baking soda based upon the ingredients, color, texture and taste -- I have some idea on what the flour was and the type of bran used to get a lighter texture (and maybe the mixing methods and baking temperature used).....I'll get back to you!

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for all the effort you're expending.

I'm glad you know and like what I'm talking about so you can get some benefit from your hard work.

From your analysis of the muffins in California its obvious I wouldn't have a chance of coming close to what you could discover.

I await the results of your research with bated breath.

Thanks again,

Eliot

Eliot,

You're welcome. I'd also take a look at Nancy Silverton's recipe as David suggested in an earlier post here. I don't have her book, but maybe she has the magic recipe! If it has raisin syrup, that would give the muffins a dark, rich color and deep flavor, plus some moistness, too!

Several bakeries use date syrup in their bran muffins. I have seen it on the list of ingredients.

The bran muffins sold at my local health food store (I stopped in this morning and looked) are made with the fruit puree sold as a substitute for fat but is simply a puree of stewed prunes with a little lemon juice added for stabilization.

They are very moist because of the sugar content in the fruit puree. They actually do not have a prune flavor.

They are made with a combination of wheat bran, oat bran, whole wheat flour and spelt flour. They make three versions, plain, with raisins and with dried chopped apples. They are huge, one is enough for two people, maybe three.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I tried David Lebovitz's suggestions and baked a batch of muffins from the recipe in Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea.

It was closer to what I'm looking for but still not moist and sticky enough.

Sarah Phillips has kindly volunteered to do some experimenting next week.

The quest continues....

The quest continues....

Eliot,

I saw your note. I bought all sorts of ingredients and already have some ideas on how to develop the recipe. I bought Nancy Silverton's book so I can look at her recipe and will get it soon. I'll come up with a "rough draft" of my version next week and have you test it...and then I'll work from there! I'm excited!

Do you mean Honey Bran Muffins with Figs? When I typed in HBM that's what came up.

That's the one. I think one of the reasons it's so moist is because the bran is soaked in boiling water prior to adding it to the batter. I also use fig pellets (they don't look so nice--like animal turds--but once they're soaked and baked into the muffins, they taste great). I really, really like this muffin and it has a following in my store.

That's the one. I think one of the reasons it's so moist is because the bran is soaked in boiling water prior to adding it to the batter. I also use fig pellets (they don't look so nice--like animal turds--but once they're soaked and baked into the muffins, they taste great). I really, really like this muffin and it has a following in my store.

Do you actually toast the wheatbran?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I made an inquiry from some of my baking buddies and five people referred me to this recipe for very moist and sticky bran muffins that keep well, stay moist and do not dry out.

Thanks, Wendy! :cool:

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to thank you for the low-fat bran muffin recipe. I have a rotation of muffins I make regularily and your recipe is one of them. I have been making these for a couple of years now and I never get tired of them. It's hard to believe they have so little fat and I think I calculated they only have 123 calories. Great

Thank you

Chantal

The quest continues....

Eliot,

I'm getting closer.....I've come up with a recipe that's getting pretty close to what you want and boy, are they moist! I can't stop eating them! But, the recipe needs some tweaking still and I'll unveil them when I'm all through with my testing......That's what sometimes takes the longest.....My philosophy is to write recipes that use everyday ingredients, readily found in grocery stores, with easy mixing steps.......because I write for the home baking audience....

These are so yummy...I've been eating too many.....a bite here and a bite there....HELLLLPPPP....!!