• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Merged Topics

Steve Klc

Given the names and shops mentioned in this topic, what would be the one or two most must-sample items for each? In other words what would be considereed the signature creation for each?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Given the names and shops mentioned in this topic, what would be the one or two most must-sample items for each? In other words what would be considereed the signature creation for each?

Perhaps really pastry rather than chocolate, is a chocolate macaron at JP Hévin. Have they even been mentioned in this thread? The trouble with food in Paris, is that one is so easily distracted by other food.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Here is a brief discussion of some must haves at Pierre Herme from the thread on Chocolates by Pierre Herme.

Dorie Greenspan particularly recommends the Ispahan.

What about the other places?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...
I second the idea of going to L'Etoile d'Or. It was a wonderful experience. The shopowner is delightfully eccentric and has such a passion for all things chocolate. Not to mention the fabulous caramels she sells as well!!!

I spent a couple of hours talking chocolate with Denise Acabo several years ago. I brought her some Dilletante (Seattle) ginger and cranberry dragées because they are so different from what one finds in France. She was especially interested in the ginger and the Dilletante packaging. Then she helped me try to locate a childhood French friend via her Minitel. Unfortunately, his name was way too common to locate.

I was not overwhelmed with the Bernachon chocolates. I would put them well behind Maison du Chocolat or Hévin. Curiously, the Guide du Club des Croqueurs de Chocolat has never listed Bernachon. (Anyone know why?) I didn't try Denise's caramels. That's because I thought I didn't like caramels at all. Then I tried Jacques Genin's caramels last April and it was a whole different world.

I spent a couple of hours talking chocolate with Denise Acabo several years ago.

I didn't try Denise's caramels. That's because I thought I didn't like caramels at all. Then I tried Jacques Genin's caramels last April and it was a whole different world.

That Denise is quite a character, eh? I spent some time with her last year and she told me that she lost her entire stock of chocolates in 2003 during the canicule ( heat wave ) that struck France.

About caramels, I'm not a big fan. BUT, Genin's caramels are I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E ! Vanilla Caramel - Outstanding; Pistachio Praline - Wow!; Passion-Fruit/Mango - a Revelation! It just doesn't get any better than this. Bravo!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a couple of hours talking chocolate with Denise Acabo several years ago.

I didn't try Denise's caramels. That's because I thought I didn't like caramels at all. Then I tried Jacques Genin's caramels last April and it was a whole different world.

That Denise is quite a character, eh? I spent some time with her last year and she told me that she lost her entire stock of chocolates in 2003 during the canicule ( heat wave ) that struck France.

About caramels, I'm not a big fan. BUT, Genin's caramels are I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E ! Vanilla Caramel - Outstanding; Pistachio Praline - Wow!; Passion-Fruit/Mango - a Revelation! It just doesn't get any better than this. Bravo!

Omigod, that Passion fruit mango. YES! Orgasmic. Where did you taste it? I spent an hour in Genin's atelier tasting chocolates and, just as I was leaving, he offered me a taste of the caramel after I said I didn't normally like caramels.

Delicabar - chocolate/sweet and savoury pastries. When I give chocolate as a gift, I go to Delicabar. Beautiful, modern, and whimsical packaging - perfectly finished chocolate - clean, clear flavour.

Chez Denise - bistro. Period.

Louise, et al, it would be sweet were you to post addresses and phone numbers for such good addresses. Prior awareness is good; Google is also. Your input is invaluable. :smile:

Margaret - better late than never? :wink:

Delicabar (check out their beautiful new website)

at Le Bon Marche

above La Grande Epicerie de Paris

26-38 rue de Sevres

Paris, 7th

01 42 22 10 12

Chez Denise (no website but here's a link to a post on my blog about my late-night dinner there - with an obscene pic: Why the French Don't Suck)

A la Tour de Montlhery (Chez Denise)

5 rue Prouvaires

Paris, 1st

01 42 36 21 82

Omigod, that Passion fruit mango. YES! Orgasmic. Where did you taste it? I spent an hour in Genin's atelier tasting chocolates and, just as I was leaving, he offered me a taste of the caramel after I said I didn't normally like caramels.

Actually, I did a short chocolate stage (apprenticeship) at his shop in 2003. I can tell you that everything he produces is of the utmost quality and flavor. Something has a tiny imperfection, it's in the trash. Nothing leaves his shop that isn't perfect.

And another thing, a pet peeve of mine: his shop is immaculate. I've been in lots of kitchens where hygiene wasn't all that important, but Genin's shop was really spotless. I, myself, am a little bit like Mr. Monk* so when I say that his shop is clean, I mean it's CLEAN! And I think that's a very good thing.

P.S. Did you try the chocolate flavored with Tonka beans? On a scale of 1 – 10, it's about a 12!

----

* For our non-American TV audience, Mr. Monk is a character from a cable television show called, not surprisingly, ‘Monk.’ It's about a police detective who is obsessive about cleanliness. It's really a very funny show.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Let me throw one more in the mix; Jacques Genin, 18, rue St-Charles in the 15th - Yves Camdeborde uses his products.

Does anyone have any actual experience buying anything at Genin? I have been told that he provides professionals, will allow people off the street access to his atelier and even offer them samples, but will not sell to them. Was this an isolated case or is it his habit?

eGullet member #80.

• 4 weeks later...
Let me throw one more in the mix; Jacques Genin, 18, rue St-Charles in the 15th - Yves Camdeborde uses his products.

Does anyone have any actual experience buying anything at Genin? I have been told that he provides professionals, will allow people off the street access to his atelier and even offer them samples, but will not sell to them. Was this an isolated case or is it his habit?

We dropped by Jacques Genin today. Yes, you can buy directly from him, but the minimum is 1 kilo (50 euros for caramels). He was quite friendly and welcoming. I walked by the atelier since the address looks to be for an apartment building and there is no sign. He must have seen us looking confused outside because he opened the door and invited us in.

• 2 weeks later...
Patrick Roger: A great chocolatier that just set up shop in Paris in December is Patrick Roger, MOF. His chocolates are not to be missed (in my humble opinion.) They're simple and stunning. The feuilletine are delicious. Some people flip over the fruity caramels (they're dome-shaped and colorful) although they're not my favorites...I prefer pure caramels. The staff is very nice and helpful. Closed sunday and monday.

108, Blvd St. Germain (Métro: Odeon), near St. Michel

David -- thank you so much for this rec. Out of all the chocolates we tried on our recent trip, Patrick Roger was by far and away my favorite. Unfortunately, I only bought a small bag since we had so many chocolates to bring home. Next time, I will have to buy a larger box, with the caramels, which they apparently don't sell individually.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the discussion, here are ratings of various ways of having chocolate that appeared Monday in A Nous Paris (courtesy of Felice):

4/5 – To drink Angelina’s

3/5 – To suck Jean-Paul Hevin

3/5 – To snack Fauchon

3/5 – To crunch more and more Pierre Marcolini

2/5 – To crunch La Maison du Chocolat

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 4 months later...
This upcoming Monday, I will fly to Paris (as a trans-Atlantic virgin) to explore chocolatiers and patisseries. I have compiled the following list:

Jean-Paul Hevin

Michel Chaudun

Pierre Marcolini

Pierre Herme

Sadaharu Aoki

Laduree

Lenotre

Gerard Mulot

Robert Linxe

Laurent Duchêne

Arnaud Larher

Christian Constant

Sacha Finkelsztajn

Are there any glaring ommissions? Have I missed any must-experience shops?

My limited budget will be geared toward chocolate/pastry (expensive meals come next trip); are there any relatively inexpensive bistros that I cannot avoid?

Melange.

Maybe I missed something - but did you ever report back? What were the results of your chocolate recon?

I've only tried Linxe, Marcolini, P. Roger, and Richart... my favorite being Linxe's chocolates at La Maison du Chocolat. I'd have to say that Richart comes dead last... P. Roger follows Marcolini, which trails Linxe by not too much...

Curious to know.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I was in Paris earlier in the week and found Gerard Mulot's chocolates very tasty. P. Roger I didn't get to taste but the shop smelled absolutely wonderful.

Laduree is a must for pastries -- they may only serve it in the tea shop upstairs, but the rose-raspberry Gateau St. Honore is incredible.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

P. Roger I didn't get to taste but the shop smelled absolutely wonderful.
They taste as good as it smells! You should really try his chocolates next time you're near - he makes some really interesting infusions.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Where can one buy Jacques Genin's products? I will be in Paris for a weekend in early May and I was hoping to stop by his studio on a Saturday. I called him up only to learn that he would not be open then. As he explained, he is not running a "magasin". He did not object when I called his place an "atelier".

In looking over this thread I noted that Yves Camdeborde, Auguste, and Le Cinq use his products, but none, I believe, offer retail operations. Is there any shop that sells his carmels, for example? Perhaps I should sneak in to check the pillows at Camdeborde's hotel to see if I can clip a few caramels after the chamber maid has left?

Just saw Margaret Pilgrim's note that Pain de Sucre, 14, rue Rambuteau. 01.45.74.68.92. has them. I will give them a call to see what they stock.

Any other Genin sightings to report?

Edited by VivreManger (log)

• 1 year later...

I didn't know where to post this, hope this does the trick, because it's a food/art thing. Today's IHT had a blurb by Doreen Carvajal who discovered a chocolate shop (Josephine Vannier in the Marais) featuring chocolate sculptures of high heels, sacs and Virgin Mary statues. Kinda cool.

John Talbott

• 10 months later...

The title of this topic "Chocolate Recon" is like that of today's NYT cute article "Le Tour de Chocolat" that recounts Amy Thomas' Velib journey to Michel Cluizel, Jean-Paul Hevin, Michel Chaudun, Jean-Charles Rochoux, Christian Constant, Pierre Marcolini + Pierre Herme. Our member David Lebovitz is quoted regarding Patrick Roger.

John Talbott

• 3 months later...
Saturday, Alexandra Michot published a two-page spread in Figaro entitled “Choco City” about all the great chocolate places from M. Chocolat to Arnaud Larher.

I'm a bit baffled by the fact they left Chaudun out. I wouldn't say he's better than most of these (oh wait...), but hey, the guy is adorable, and his chocolate, as far as classic flavors go, are really fantastic.