• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Fast Food

DeVeaux

Do you all still have What-a-Burger, Taco Cabana and James' Coney Island down there? We lived in Houston from '78 to '86, and the were my Daughter's favorite fast food places.

Did Ninfa's close down? How about Primo's on Smith & Rosalie and Lopez Mexican Restaurant in Stafford?

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Yes the faves are still here. AAMOF if it's fast food Texas has it and especially Houston. I'm not a native so I don't do Fast Food, but most Texans, especially Houstonians seem to live it their cars(Suburbans) and survive on fast food.

Not sure about Primos, but Ninfa's went toes up in debt and was taken over. Ninfa, mama that is, died a while back.

Welcome to the Society and to the Texas forum DeVeaux. So sorry you had to leave Houston. The food scene gets better and better. Please check in often.

Actually, in my neck of the woods, the Hummers are taking over as the preferred dining venue. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Primos did leave many years ago but I still remeber that place for the best fajitas ever. the owner popped up again downtown a few years ago and served great food but he had a heart attack I bileive and didn't make it. Lopez is thriving and still serving honest to goodness tex/mex.

The Ninfa's on Navigation is alive and well, though I have not been there in some time. I don't know about the other locations as the Spanish Village is my choice for Tex-Mex.

"Watter" burger is also the same and the burgers unchanged. The only fast-food burger I will consider. I had one last week at a softball tournament. The burgers taste as close as you can get these days to an old-fashioned "drive-in" burger.

I do have to say that my favorite of all Texas "fast-food" is still the Dairy Queen. Love those tacos.

Being a native, I also love sweeping generalizations and inanity.

Fifi, if we did not all weigh 600lbs. and were perhaps a little smarter we might be able to get out of our hummers and Suburbans.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Thanks, all.

Lopez was our favorite neighborhood Mexican place (we lived in Alief), and we started going there when they first opened, and were regulars. Good to hear they're still open - are they still in the strip center by the Safeway on Wilcrest?

If we ever get back there, Lopez is the first place we will eat. I don't have a Hummer or a Suburban, but will my Dodge Ram 4X4 be acceptable to cruise Houston? I do have a Gilley's bumper sticker on it :cool:

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."