• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nathan's Hot Dogs

Jake

Hate (I mean really hate) hot dogs of all varieties, with the exception of a Grey's Papaya after a few beverages while in NYC. :wacko:

Having said that, I recently had a Nathan's all beef, natural casing, grilled. It was a damn fine dog.....surprised myself. Of course this was in the states, so I am now on a quest to find them here. Any help out there?????? :unsure:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Sorry, I can't help you, but was wondering about something. I've heard that in or near Toronto, Shopsy's all beef hot dogs are considered quite good. In your opinion, how do they compare to Nathan's or Gray's?

John the hot dog guy

I have to say you show excellent taste for someone who doesn't like hot-dogs.

I have been a fan of Nathan's since the 1960's when my Dad turned me on to them in Atlantic City. Of course, he had been eating them since a young man whenever visiting Coney Island.

As far I know, they are not available in Canada. Being in Montreal, I frequently drive an hour to Plattsburgh and stock up at Price Chopper.

Another really tasty hot-dog called Sinai Kosher used to be available at Costco but has not been available for months - a by-product of the Mad Cow disease scare.

Unfortunately, I have not found anything else on the market that can compare.

Another really tasty hot-dog called Sinai Kosher used to be available at Costco but has not been available for months - a by-product of the Mad Cow disease scare.

Costco replaced it with an all beef quarter pound hot dog from Olympic (Mississauga). It tastes much the same as Sinai at their food court, but both products were simmered, and held for awhile. The Olympic is also for sale in 2 kg. packs, but I have not taken it home for grilling. I think Nathan's grilled their dogs, but they are smaller. I have bought Shopsy's quarter pounder, and found it to be smooth and bland. Not suprisingly, as the Shopsowitz family sold out to a large non-Jewish food packer 20 years ago.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

Does anyone know a source for Gulden's Brown Mustard?

It was widely available in New York when I lived there, and ideal for deli meat.

A few years ago Loblaws introduced it when Dave Nichol discovered it, but it has been long gone from their shelves.

Sorry, I can't help you, but was wondering about something. I've heard that in or near Toronto, Shopsy's all beef hot dogs are considered quite good. In your opinion, how do they compare to Nathan's or Gray's?

Shopsy's -- blech! :wink: Seriously, I really meant it, I've never met a hot dog i liked until Nathan's, and I have tried a lot of them. Hebrew National's were the closest I ever came to being able to stomach a bite or two.

I have to say you show excellent taste for someone who doesn't like hot-dogs.

I have been a fan of Nathan's since the 1960's when my Dad turned me on to them in Atlantic City.  Of course, he had been eating them since a young man whenever visiting Coney Island.

As far I know, they are not available in Canada.  Being in Montreal, I frequently drive an hour to Plattsburgh and stock up at Price Chopper.

Looks like I'll be in the same boat, especially come summer. Thankfully the SO really does like a good hot dog (hence the reason I've tried so many) so the excuse "Honey, we need to go to NYC etc. for the weekend and bring back Nathan's" might just work. :raz:

Does anyone know a source for Gulden's Brown Mustard?

It was widely available in New York when I lived there, and ideal for deli meat.

A few years ago Loblaws introduced it when Dave Nichol discovered it, but it has been long gone from their shelves.

Yummm, I'd forgotten how good Gulden's was. I haven't seen it around in ages, but I haven't looked either. Have you tried Whole Paycheck, Sun Valley etc?

I'll keep my eye out and post if I find any....please do the same.

Hate (I mean really hate) hot dogs of all varieties, with the exception of a Grey's Papaya after a few beverages while in NYC.    :wacko:

Having said that, I recently had a Nathan's all beef, natural casing, grilled.  It was a damn fine dog.....surprised myself.  Of course this was in the states, so I am now on a quest to find them here.  Any help out there??????  :unsure:

Jake, if you hate Shopsy's, you may very well love Freybe's.

This is a traditional German dog, long, thin, crispy links (natural casings, and fairly strong smoking) similar to wieners in old time butcher shops. I get them at Costco, but they come from B.C. and should be available in some small shops.

You could always drive over to Buffalo and stock up.

I drive 66 miles to Port Huron, MI a few times a month to stock up on things I cant get here. Diet Cherry Vanilla dr. pepper. Hershey's cocoa, chicken breasts( cause they are way cheaper), etc, etc.

I check the weekly ads for both grocery stores in that town and plan my trip accordingly.

Groceries are duty free as well!!

Hate (I mean really hate) hot dogs of all varieties, with the exception of a Grey's Papaya after a few beverages while in NYC.    :wacko:

Having said that, I recently had a Nathan's all beef, natural casing, grilled.  It was a damn fine dog.....surprised myself.  Of course this was in the states, so I am now on a quest to find them here.  Any help out there??????  :unsure:

Jake, if you hate Shopsy's, you may very well love Freybe's.

This is a traditional German dog, long, thin, crispy links (natural casings, and fairly strong smoking) similar to wieners in old time butcher shops. I get them at Costco, but they come from B.C. and should be available in some small shops.

Thanks, jayt90, I'll try them next.

Kwinter's veal franks are pretty good. My wife likes Perl's, but I find the casings quite firm. I was very upset as well when Costco pulled the Sinai's as a response to the American buoycott on our beef (at least I think that was what they were saying). Centre street used to carry Guilden's Spicy Brown Mustard, but I haven't seen it the last few times I was there. I usually stock up on a big bottle when I go down to Buffalo (also on Bush's Beans, don't know why, but they are so much better than Heinz's).

Incidentally, most hot dog purveyors in T.O. buy their franks and sausages from places like the store across from the Holiday Inn on King West that specialize in Hot Dog cart supplies.

Mark

Kwinter's veal franks are pretty good.  My wife likes Perl's, but I find the casings quite firm.  I was very upset as well when Costco pulled the Sinai's as a response to the American buoycott on our beef (at least I think that was what they were saying).  Centre street used to carry Guilden's Spicy Brown Mustard, but I haven't seen it the last few times I was there.  I usually stock up on a big bottle when I go down to Buffalo (also on Bush's Beans, don't know why, but they are so much better than Heinz's).

Incidentally, most hot dog purveyors in T.O. buy their franks and sausages from places like the store across from the Holiday Inn on King West that specialize in Hot Dog cart supplies.

Mark

You can occasionally get Bush's beans downstairs at the market. I prefer Heinz beans from Britain....again, harder to source.

Nope, don't like Kwinter's. Haven't had Perls and hate all hot dog cart dogs. It always amazes me that practically everyone in TO buys dogs from the same couple sources. Hmm, maybe I should start importing Nathan's :laugh::laugh:

I was very upset as well when Costco pulled the Sinai's as a response to the American buoycott on our beef (at least I think that was what they were saying). 

I think it was actually because the border was closed to beef - both ways. Costco stopped selling them because they couldn't get them.

We used to sell Sinais - but for the last couple of years we've been selling Shefa instead. I really like them. They are made in Toronto and I believe they are available throughout Toronto.

(All-beef Kosher)

Edited by Pam R (log)

• 2 months later...

Today I found myself in the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, N.J. accompanying my wife while she was shopping for clothes. Not one of my favorite things in the world to do. I wound up in the Food Court near Nathan's. They have a special from Fri through Mon where you can get 3 dogs for $3.33. In the past, Nathan's has been hit or miss for me. Some locations use the skinless version and cook them on those roller grills that you see in movie theatres. The 2 Nathan's near me (both now gone) used the natural casing dogs, but they were under cooked.

The 3 dogs I had today were prepared perfectly. And they were delicious. Right up there in the upper stratosphere of all beef dogs in Jersey. Syd's (Best's), Boulevard Drinks (Sabrett), and Nathan's. The holy trinity of N.J. beef hot dogs. And at $3.33 for 3, a great bargain. The dogs were 8 to a lb.

John the hot dog guy

Today I found myself in the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, N.J. accompanying my wife while she was shopping for clothes. Not one of my favorite things in the world to do. I wound up in the Food Court near Nathan's. They have a special from Fri through Mon where you can get 3 dogs for $3.33. In the past, Nathan's has been hit or miss for me. Some locations use the skinless version and cook them on those roller grills that you see in movie theatres. The 2 Nathan's near me (both now gone) used the natural casing dogs, but they were under cooked. 

The 3 dogs I had today were prepared perfectly. And they were delicious. Right up there in the upper stratosphere of all beef dogs in Jersey. Syd's (Best's), Boulevard Drinks (Sabrett), and Nathan's. The holy trinity of N.J. beef hot dogs. And at $3.33 for 3, a great bargain. The dogs were 8 to a lb.

Sure, brag about the fact that you have them in New Jersey........glad you enjoyed them though. :raz:

I'm pretty sure that you can order them online somewhere. If not, you might consider ordering Usinger's. They make one of the best (if not the best) all beef dogs. Quite popular with fellow E-Gulleters too.

John the hot dog guy

I'm pretty sure that you can order them online somewhere. If not, you might consider ordering Usinger's. They make one of the best (if not the best) all beef dogs. Quite popular with fellow E-Gulleters too.

Nope, tried that. Even begged the good people at Nathan's to take pity on me. I shall look into your suggestion of trying Usinger's....even though as I mentioned upthread, until Nathan's I have never had a hot dog I liked - ever. cheers.

Hi JAke

I can get you nathans dogs we acrry them at our burger place www.verasburgershack.com, send me an email and I will ship some to you.

gerald tritt

owner

vera's burger shack

voted vancouvers best burgers

year after year

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Hi JAke

I can get you nathans dogs we acrry them at our burger place www.verasburgershack.com, send me an email and I will ship some to you.

gerald tritt

owner

vera's burger shack

voted vancouvers best burgers

year after year

Gerald, you are my hero!!!! I will PM you now. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And yes, I too hope they're natural casing. :biggrin:

• 4 years later...

Johnny Rockets is serving Nathan's Hot Dogs now. I saw a sign at Vaughan Mills.

Now I am looking for Guldens Mustard. I picked some up at the Giant Tiger on Erin Mills Prkwy and have yet to see it at another. Anyone know where I can get it in the GTA?

• 4 weeks later...
Johnny Rockets is serving Nathan's Hot Dogs now.  I saw a sign at Vaughan Mills.

Now I am looking for Guldens Mustard.  I picked some up at the Giant Tiger on Erin Mills Prkwy and have yet to see it at another.  Anyone know where I can get it in the GTA?

Centre St. Deli carries it, I heard (haven't been there).

If I was in the area I would check stores with Jewish foods, such as Sobey's or No Frills.