• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Having a Sushi Party

lilac0485

I don't know any places firsthand, but if I had to take a guess,

the simply named "Fish and Coffee" (they haven't changed their name, have they? on Chestnut between 21st and 20th would have it.

There's also the Japanese market in Narberth. Can't recall the name, but someone here can probably find you the thread. All I remember is how to get there by sight.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

There's also the Japanese market in Narberth.  Can't recall the name, but someone here can probably find you the thread.  All I remember is how to get there by sight.

That'd be Maido!. I haven't been there, but from what I've heard, they're more into prepared foods than fish. Though I could certainly be wrong about that.

Review of Maido! in the Philadelphia Weekly.

last time i was in fish & coffee, they didn't have any fish. now, it was late in the day and maybe they'd just closed up the fish part for the night, but my sneaking suspicion (and i hope this isn't the case) is that they may not be doing so well in that aspect of things.

i would be willing to bet that with a little notice any of the big three fish vendors in the terminal would be able to order sushi-grade fish. sometimes john yi has it out--tuna at least.

We frequently "roll our own" and always get our fish at Hanahreum (sp?) Supermarket at Broad & Cheltenham. They do a ton of business, so I never doubt that the fish is fresh.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

For guaranteed freshness, find a place in Chinatown (or the big oriental supermarket near the Italian market on Washington street, it's near Washington and 5th or so) that sells live fish. Sorry to not have a more specific name or location in Chinatown, but I've run across a couple of places walking around. And the big market on Washington has rows of tanks at the back of the store.

For guaranteed freshness, find a place in Chinatown (or the big oriental supermarket near the Italian market on Washington street, it's near Washington and 5th or so) that sells live fish.  Sorry to not have a more specific name or location in Chinatown, but I've run across a couple of places walking around.  And the big market on Washington has rows of tanks at the back of the store.

If anybody spots a tank with a live tuna, let me know.. I'd go just to see the tank!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Walked past Fish and Coffee / Midori Mart and it looked like it was closed for good. There was a sign posted but I wasn't close enough to read it.

I reaaalllllyyy doubt anyone in town has a tank with live tuna in it.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Walked past Fish and Coffee / Midori Mart and it looked like it was closed for good.  There was a sign posted but I wasn't close enough to read it.

that's really sad. i loved midori mart. i guess the $5-10 they got from me a couple times a week wasn't really enough to keep a whole store open.