• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Downtown

sashavan

My mother is joining me for lunch tomorrow. She's requested "clean green food". Possibly a caesar salad. I'm looking out my office window at the Keg, and thinking there must be a better option.

Any suggestions? My business district dining is generally limited to the HyRise salad bar.

Try Rex in the Bentall Centre.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Would you recommend Oysi over, say, Kamei Royale (same area) or some of the other Japanese restaurants in the area? My experiences with Oysi, while friendly, were less than great. Generally, the rice in the sushi was dry & fell apart, the tempura was hopelessly soggy, and greens were wilted & brown. These were more than one occasion - it was the preferred lunch spot for the people on my floor and, being low person on the totem pole (and not having to pay) I got no say. I tried much of their menu (thinking if the sushi wasn't great, something else would be better) and generally wasn't that impressed. Admittedly, this was a year ago, and I'm wondering if they've improved? Kamei Royale, on the other hand, was generally fresh, fast, and felt like much more of a place I'd be inclined to take my mother. (Actually, I mean Kamei Royale, not Kirin - my bad :sad: - thanks to Coop for the correction - I apologise for my difficulties with proper nouns & fixed it to make sense).

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

I have had a few meals at Oysi Oysi and have never been dissapointed, but I do agree that Kamei is probably a more consistent venue. If Perry, the owner, is not on shift I have heard that service levels drop.

As for the rice, I have never had that experience and I am a person who scrutinizes the rice as my wife is Japanese! :biggrin: It has been a few months since I was last there, so I am not sure if it is still up to the same standards.

Cheers,

Eric

Would you recommend Oysi over, say, Kamei Royale (same area) or some of the other Japanese restaurants in the area?  My experiences with Oysi, while friendly, were less than great.  Generally, the rice in the sushi was dry & fell apart, the tempura was hopelessly soggy, and greens were wilted & brown.  These were more than one occasion - it was the preferred lunch spot for the people on my floor and, being low person on the totem pole (and not having to pay) I got no say.  I tried much of their menu (thinking if the sushi wasn't great, something else would be better) and generally wasn't that impressed.  Admittedly, this was a year ago, and I'm wondering if they've improved?  Kamei Royale, on the other hand, was generally fresh, fast, and felt like much more of a place I'd be inclined to take my mother. (Actually, I mean Kamei Royale, not Kirin - my bad  :sad:  - thanks to Coop for the correction - I apologise for my difficulties with proper nouns & fixed it to make sense).

Something else to consider for downtown Japanese is Okada in Nelson Square. I think that their Sushi is some of the best in the city and there hot food can be very good also (gyozas are nice).

Their lunch menu is much more limted than their dinner menu -but still very good.

Something else to consider for downtown Japanese is Okada in Nelson Square.  I think that their Sushi is some of the best in the city and there hot food can be very good also (gyozas are nice).

Their lunch menu is much more limted than their dinner menu -but still very good.

I'm glad to hear that Okada is a good place as I read about it somewhere fairly recently and have been interested in checking it out.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Something else to consider for downtown Japanese is Okada in Nelson Square.  I think that their Sushi is some of the best in the city and there hot food can be very good also (gyozas are nice).

I'm glad to hear that Okada is a good place as I read about it somewhere fairly recently and have been interested in checking it out.

I second Okada, try their unagi battera if you like BBQ eel.