• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good eats very near the Georgiadome

bakezoid

I'm starting this thread with a very specific need and lots of advance warning. Will be visiting Atlanta for the SEC Mens' Basketball tournament in March to see 11 games in four days. I'm looking for places to eat during the breaks between doubleheaders when there is not a lot of time to get anywhere but nourishment is needed. You may think I am nuts to subject myself to so much basketball :wacko: but even so, you have to recognize my food priority as right up there. I'd also love to hear about anyplace else wonderful, high and low price ranges, for those possible other times for eating. Staying in Inman Park if that is any help in making your suggestions.

Looking forward to your posts and I know I can count on eGulleters.

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

food resources in the Georgia Dome vicinity just for a beginning .. more to follow ... :wink:

1. Paschal's

2. Athens Submarines

3. Ruth's Chris Steak House

4. Hooter's

5. Café du Monde

At the Georgia Dome itself, you can get hot dogs, gourmet cookies, gourmet soups, Papa John’s Pizza, Nachos, sausages, burgers, and more. You’ll pay for them though, anywhere from $4 to $8 for a dog or slice of pizza. :rolleyes: Even a coke will run you $4 here..... :shock:

from their website:

In addition, there are over 75 food outlets and four food courts as well as PK's Family Restaurant, Sidelines Sports Bar,Taco Mac and fine-dining at the In-Zone Restaurant. Of course, our friendly folks serve traditional hot dogs and hamburgers, but you will also find pasta made-to-order, barbecue, chicken wings, fresh salads, deli sandwiches, fresh-baked pretzels and fresh-popped popcorn at convenient locations around the Dome.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I cannot suggest places near the Georgia Dome, but I will tell you that I miss Harolds Barbecue Harolds They have great cue and the best cracklin cornbread ever. Harolds is not too far from downtown - close to Turner Field

Inman Park is not too far the the Virginia Highlands area where there are several good, low-end restaurants. I love the bar at Atkins Park,

The Vortex in Little Five Points makes incredible burgers.

Staying in Inman Park means that you're pretty much in the catbird seat (sorry, not a basketball reference) when it comes to restaurants in Atlanta.

Upmarket casual, probably walking distance from where you're staying, very popular, and very good is Rathbun's.

Other Inman Park places worth mentioning are Sotto Sotto and Fritti, sister restaurants that are both Italian, with Fritti being more casual. Both are located on Highland Ave, and a bit farther north on Highland Ave are Pura Vida (great tapas, and have a mojito for me), Babette's Cafe, and Wisteria.

If you continue north on Highland, crossing Ponce de Leon, you enter Virginia Highland (not Highlands) and there are lots of cool restaurants there as well.

A little cluster of boho life called Little Five Points (yes, there's a regular Five Points, but it's nothing to do with Little 5) abuts the eastern edge of Inman Park. Miro's Garden has good tapas, and there's a Japanese-ish place called something like Green Lime that I've not tried (my husband said if was fine). Teaspace is a groovy little place, but they've been keeping irregular hours of late.

Lots more great eating if you have specific questions. Lots of cool ethnic in Atlanta as well, though you'll mostly need to drive from your location.

Can you pee in the ocean?

just a couple of words of warning....

parking near the Dome is going to be an absolute bear so I would recommend taking MARTA. The train stops right at the Dome (& Philips Arena/CNN Center) so it will be very convenient. Trying to get some thing to eat at CNN Center will also be a night mare. There are a bunch of fast food & quick eat type places there but most of them will be packed & completely over-whelmed by the crush of people.

You should be able to walk (although it is a few blocks) to Thelma's Kitchen (on Marietta St) for real, live, honest to goodness, "soul food" or before you head to the game(s) stop at Son's Place almost directly across the street fr/ the Inman Park MARTA station for some of the best fried chicken in the city. Please note that both of these places close relatively early (4.00pm or so) so make the necessary arrangements.

If you do decide to drive I would suggest parking under the viaducts (entrances to the east of GWCC & at the Russell Federal Building) and may be taking stuff to tail gate. This being Atl the weather could be drop dead gorgeous in March or an absolute night mare.

btw, how did some one fr/ Buffalo become interested in SEC hoops?

HDHD

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--the best cat ever.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your suggestions for eating during our basketball weekend (DId I say 11 games in 4 days?). The spots look great and I wish I had more time there to devote to eating. But just knowing where to go during the breaks bewteen the first and second double headers on Thursday and Friday is quite helpful. And where to go before and after as well.

To Lan4Dawg: No car is planned; and the genesis of a Buffalonian's interest in SEC hoops: For the past 4 years my husband and I (and sometimes sons) have gone to a first/second round NCAA site. The games aren't always so great. We figured the SEC has some real competitve teams and thid tournament would be intense and fun. Also I had heard that Atlanta has great food. :biggrin:

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien