• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream of Coconut

yellowmnm81

my friend gave me two cans of "caribbean coco crema de coco" and the can is entirely in spanish i think(i don't know spanish.) i'm not really sure what to do with it?? can i use it in recipes that call for coconut milk or is there a large difference? and what are some of the best ways to make use of this stuff?? thinking either panna cotta or coconut sticky rice.... any other suggestions? thanks!

follow my food adventures as

the sweet gourmand

Pina Colada Cake?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

my friend gave me two cans of "caribbean coco crema de coco" and the can is entirely in spanish i think(i don't know spanish.)  i'm not really sure what to do with it??  can i use it in recipes that call for coconut milk or is there a large difference?  and what are some of the best ways to make use of this stuff??  thinking either panna cotta or coconut sticky rice....  any other suggestions? thanks!

Combine it with cocoanut milk and make ice cream.

You do need to realize that this is undoubtedly very sweet. It's not like the canned coconut milk that you buy for Asian soups and curries.

It's like the difference between evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk.

So, think of it that way. I have a wonderful sweet rice pudding recipe that calls for it.

And of course, it's an essential ingredient in Pina Coladas.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

wow, lots of suggestions for me!! thank you all. also thanks for the clarification, jaymes.. my mom at first suggested using it for a thai curry that we like to make.. could have been disasterous! i don't drink pina coladas myself.. or else it'd be a great option. for using it in recipes that don't originally call for cream of coconut, would it work to just replace the heavy cream with it?? for example, the rice pudding or something else and just use the cream instead. joshalow, do you happen to have a recipe for the tembleque or coconut flan??

the sweet gourmand

Many of my cookbooks and recipes are packed up right now, so can't give you the one I use for rice pudding.

However, I think it's just like this one from Goya.

Coconut Rice Pudding

And here's a silly 'cake mix' one that's easy, if you're just trying to use up the stuff.

Pina Colada Cake

Make 2 boxes yellow cake mix, according to pkg directions, in a sheet pan. While it's baking, combine 1 can Eagle Brand milk, and equal amount Cream of Coconut.

Poke a lot of holes in hot cake and spread with coconut milk mixture. Seal tightly and allow to cool. Frost cooled cake with whipped cream topping and dust with coconut.

Instead of part or all of the water called for in the cake mix, I sometimes use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

When you serve it, you can garnish with some slices of fresh pineapple.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Cooks Illustrated has a delicious macaroon recipe that calls for cream of coconut. I typically don't eat coconut macaroons, but this recipe turned me into a believer. I just checked the website to see if I can link it, but it seems you need a subscription to access the recipe. If you're interested, and someone can inform me as to recipe posting etiquette, I'd be happy to put it up here.

Boy does that ever look good. Have you tried it?

Cooks Illustrated has a delicious macaroon recipe that calls for cream of coconut.  I typically don't eat coconut macaroons, but this recipe turned me into a believer. If you're interested, and someone can inform me as to recipe posting etiquette, I'd be happy to put it up here.

I'm interested. Very interested. Because of copyright laws, you can post ingredient lists and recipes, but you must change the wording. (That's according to what I've read in other posts by the moderators, anyway.)

Cooks Illustrated has a delicious macaroon recipe that calls for cream of coconut.  I typically don't eat coconut macaroons, but this recipe turned me into a believer.  I just checked the website to see if I can link it, but it seems you need a subscription to access the recipe.  If you're interested, and someone can inform me as to recipe posting etiquette, I'd be happy to put it up here.

Did you try the magazine's site or the show? You can get the recipe on the show's site- www.Americastestkitchen.com You might have to register-- it's free though. The recipe's under Season 4, as chocolate coated triple coconut macaroons.... Have fun!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Cooks Illustrated has a delicious macaroon recipe that calls for cream of coconut.  I typically don't eat coconut macaroons, but this recipe turned me into a believer.  I just checked the website to see if I can link it, but it seems you need a subscription to access the recipe.  If you're interested, and someone can inform me as to recipe posting etiquette, I'd be happy to put it up here.

Did you try the magazine's site or the show? You can get the recipe on the show's site- www.Americastestkitchen.com You might have to register-- it's free though. The recipe's under Season 4, as chocolate coated triple coconut macaroons.... Have fun!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

You do need to realize that this is undoubtedly very sweet.  It's not like the canned coconut milk that you buy for Asian soups and curries.

It's like the difference between evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk.

So, think of it that way.  I have a wonderful sweet rice pudding recipe that calls for it. 

And of course, it's an essential ingredient in Pina Coladas.

My blunder,Glad you caught it,thanks Jaymes :rolleyes:

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

You do need to realize that this is undoubtedly very sweet.  It's not like the canned coconut milk that you buy for Asian soups and curries.

My blunder,Glad you caught it,thanks Jaymes :rolleyes:

Well, it's something I had to learn the hard way. :cool:

ohhh yea!! i forgot about that coconut macaroon recipe. i have the new best recipe and that contains the recipe as well. hmm might have to investigate that further!! the truffles seem good too.. thanks!! my brother (who would be a main consumer of this coconut good..) doesn't like rice pudding or carrot cake though, or else i would love to make those as well. gosh darn him for being so picky!! it's always so hard to bake everything you want to bake when you have to satisfy everybody else's taste all the time.. and they're picky! but anyway, thanks for the recipes and ideas guys! i'm actually not going to make anything with the cream of coconut for a little bit in favor of chocolate lemon madeleines... but i will post back when i do make something (or most likely, multiple things).

if anybody has any information on substituting heavy cream with the cream, please share! or any coconut panna cotta etc recipes. i'll probably be making a few things as i have two cans.. :raz:

the sweet gourmand

Tembleque (it's different from a flan):

4 cups diluted coconut milk (I usually dilute the cans of coconut cream 1 can water to 1 can coconut cream)

1/2 c. cornstarch

2/3 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 T. orange blossom water

In a saucepan, dissolve cornstarch in part of the coconut milk, Add the rest of the coconut milk, and the remaining ingredients.

Cook over moderate-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to moderate when it begins to thicken and continue cooking/stirring until it boils and thickens.

Pour into a round fluted or plain pan which has been rinsed in cold water.

When completely cool, turn onto a serving platter and sprinkle with cinammon.

The recipe I have for coconut flan calls for Grated coconut in a heavy syrup.

• 2 months later...
make a tropical carrot cake. I totally screwed this recipe up with substitutions and f ups, and it still came out ok try this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107949

I was thinking about making this, did you have any of the issues with the cake being over-moist like the reviews in the recipe?

No issues. It's like it should be as far as moistness, it is a carrot cake..I've never had a dry one! I suspect that the epicurious chefs who had problems with it didn't know what to expect or their understood version of carrot cake was of another type. This is a pretty heavy southern/tropical typically rich, totally decadant cake and really good if that's what you're wanting. I omitted the coconut flavoring and added lemon juice to the frosting. make sure the frosting sets up well before you ice it, even to the point of making the icing the day before refrigerating overnight and whipping it to spreadability. Do use the parchment. It has 'only' one cup of oil..this is lite considering most large carrot cakes have another half cup or so. I forgot to drain the pineapple so mine was REALLY moist. I also used the lowfat creamcheese with no discernable effect. make way in your fridge and it'll keep forever! do make it before it get hot though, the icing doesn't like it hot. Don't forget the ginger, it's what I love about this cake.