• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dining Values in Western Canada

Daddy-A

I'd say the best cheap eats for me is Kintaro.  The best Japanese ramen in town for $8.  You can't beat that price for a downtown location right no Robson and Denman.

Although the downside is you always have to line up for at least 10 minutes before you can get a seat (and if you're waiting for a table for 4, try 30 minutes... lol) 

But def. the best miso ramen around, mmmm, with extra wakame and a boiled egg.  Then I order a bowl of rice (free!) and eat that with the soup.  <oink oink>  :p

The ramen could be better but without any competitition, I guess it's the best that Vancouver can offer.

So Kintaro is no longer worth the wait? Cool, contrary to what your school treachers may have told you, procrastination is an effective technique for ticking things off your "to do" list.

And according to James Barber in the current Vanmag, the secret to at home Sappro Ichiban is a cup of wine, (in the pot). Okay James, you just continue dicing carrots with that butter knife and we'll continue considereing you one of the cities great culinary lights.

Coop,

When are you making Miso Ramen next? Can I come and eat? :biggrin:

My respect for Kintaro is waning. It seems less great every time I go. I can practically make comparable miso ramen at home. I agree with the pho at Kim Phung as well as the Laksa at the Curry Hut or Prata Man.

It's difficult to imagine more bang for a small buck than the pho at Kim Phung. However I would rate the Seafood Laksa, (at $7.00) at the Cafe Delite a very close second - and certainly the best I have had on this side of the pond. They also do a brilliant Nasi Lemak with coffee - which, as old south-east Asia hands will tell you, is one of the finer hangover breakfasts.

The Sushi King is also a fine example of value for money. Consistently fresh and large portions of sushi at ridiculously low prices - even if this is somewhat artlessly prepared.

It's difficult to imagine more bang for a small buck than the pho at Kim Phung. However I would rate the Seafood Laksa, (at $7.00) at the Cafe Delite a very close second - and certainly the best I have had on this side of the pond. They also do a brilliant Nasi Lemak with coffee - which, as old south-east Asia hands will tell you, is one of the finer hangover breakfasts.

The Sushi King is also a fine example of value for money. Consistently fresh and large portions of sushi at ridiculously low prices - even if this is somewhat artlessly prepared.

Welcome to the forum Ducky! Your appreciation of Kim Phung has already won you friends :biggrin:

Sushi King is where?

A.

Sushi King is at 63rd (or 62nd) and Granville. You can often find the JAL flight crew getting their sushi fix there before the long flight home - which in itself is an endorsement of sorts. There's also a branch on East Boulevard near 41st. There may be more.

I agree with the pho at Kim Phung as well as the Laksa at the Curry Hut or Prata Man.

Prata-Man. Yeah!!! Big plate of delicious Mee Goreng for $4.95.

VALUE = (TASTE) * (QUANTITY) / (PRICE)

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Sushi King is at 63rd (or 62nd) and Granville. You can often find the JAL flight crew getting their sushi fix there before the long flight home - which in itself is an endorsement of sorts. There's also a branch on East Boulevard near 41st. There may be more.

I ate at Sushi King at least twice a week a few years ago, but the quality isn't the greatest and often the sashimi comes partially frozen :blink: The brown, dried-out preserved ginger is quite nasty to look at (I can't imagine anyone actually eating it!) Also, the tempura leaves something to be desired (small shrimp, mushy coating). I really prefer Samurai Restaurant on Davie St.--the pieces are almost as big as the ones at Sushi King, and the fish tastes much better.

Edited by Ling (log)

Prata-Man.  Yeah!!!  Big plate of delicious Mee Goreng for $4.95.

VALUE = (TASTE) * (QUANTITY) / (PRICE)

Ain't no tellin' whatsoever that you're an engineer. Uh-uh. No siree bob. :huh::raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

1) Mui Garden for their curried beef brisket.  Creamy and slow cooked with alot of coconut cream.  Chinese-Malaysian food.

That's a great pick. It's also available for take-out.

I love the Hainan chicken dish at Mui Garden! Hard to beat.

Our favourite Hainan chicken dish:

Cafe D'Lite - Singporean, casual

2817 W Broadway, Vancouver BC, 604-733-8882

• closes at 6pm and does not open on Sundays

• best 'Hainan chicken rice' in town! presentation beats Prata-Man and boneless chicken beats Mui's!

You are right mangez. I neglected to mention the Hainanese Chicken in my previous post on the Cafe D'Lite (thanks also for the corrceted spelling). Everything that comes out of this kitchen appears to be astonishingly good and good value.

Another little jewel of a restaurant that deserves mention in this thread is The Kedah House. Very fine and authentic Malaysian food at moderate cost. Just as the Cafe D'Lite is a tiny family run place that serves Singaporean favourites done to perfection and is always packed with Singaporeans - so The Kedah House is tiny and serves excellent Malaysian food to a packed house of Malaysians.

1) Mui Garden for their curried beef brisket.  Creamy and slow cooked with alot of coconut cream.  Chinese-Malaysian food.

That's a great pick. It's also available for take-out.

I love the Hainan chicken dish at Mui Garden! Hard to beat.

Our favourite Hainan chicken dish:

Cafe D'Lite - Singporean, casual

2817 W Broadway, Vancouver BC, 604-733-8882

• closes at 6pm and does not open on Sundays

• best 'Hainan chicken rice' in town! presentation beats Prata-Man and boneless chicken beats Mui's!

Moosh,

Have to admit that I've never been to Cafe D'Lite although it's 5 blocks from where I live. Now I can have lunch before heading to buy bagels at Solly's and stopping off at the Broadway wine shop. Thanks! :smile:

I like the idea of flavour per dollar :

The rabbit risoto at Wildwood is enough for 2 meals and is only 15 dollars (no pst in Calgary either). It's one of the few rabbit meals available in Calgary.

Pastry at Divino - All 8 dollars, and undoubtedly the best after dinner value in the city.

Big T's barbeque platter - 40 dollars - dinner for 3 - One of John Gilcrists favourites, real slow cook barbeque.

Trongh Khan on Center street north - Huge vermicelli bowls for 7 dollars.

Sushi Boat in Crowchild - If you ask for it, you can get the ahi tuna sushi pizza for 3 bucks.

I like the idea of flavour per dollar :

The rabbit risoto at Wildwood is enough for 2 meals and is only 15 dollars (no pst in Calgary either).  It's one of the few rabbit meals available in Calgary.

Pastry at Divino - All 8 dollars, and undoubtedly the best after dinner value in the city.

Big T's barbeque platter - 40 dollars - dinner for 3 - One of John Gilcrists favourites, real slow cook barbeque.

Trongh Khan on Center street north - Huge vermicelli bowls for 7 dollars.

Sushi Boat in Crowchild - If you ask for it, you can get the ahi tuna sushi pizza for 3 bucks.

Could it be we have another voice from the prairies??

Welcome Gobstopper! Looking forward to more posts from Cow-town.

A.

Thanks to egullet - I have tried my first kolachy's - delicous! (Mind my spelling - I failed typing in grade 9). Went to Kim Phung yesterday and the pho was indeed very good. But - they also had something called shrimp and pork in banana leaf. It was the weirdest thing - looked like a steamed mochi with some chopped pork stuffing and it was DELICIOUS! So kudo's to Kim Phung.

BTW - I was told that "pho" was derived from "feu" as in pot au feu from the French Colonial days. Urban legend?

Also went to Cafe D'light based upon this thread - the Hainan Chicken was very good - but Mui's yellow rice (rice cooked in chicken fat) was way better IMHO. It had more schmaltz.

i got 2 choices. first is a greasy spoon restaurant in richmond on alexandria called

kam do. you'll most likely get a stomach ache from the food but for $10 ill get ful and have left overs. and i'm 6', 120kg. my second choice is my schol. the pacific institute of culinary arts. on mondays they have a two for one. so for about $20 you and a friend can have a fine dining full course meal.

bork bork bork

Kedah House is on Fraser Street - just south of 41st Avenue. Be forewarned though that it is often full.

Went to Kedah House the first time, the curry chicken noodles was A+, 'chendol' (dessert drink) also very good, authentic yellow sugar was used but too bad they use ice cubes instead of shaved ice. Went there at 5pm the place was empty (best time to go).

Yes, Cafe D'light's chicken is better than their rice, but I like their chilli and ginger garlic dipping sauces better than Mui's.

My favourite dish at Mui's is their beef curry! Their sweet and sour pork is also good.

Ok, another GOOD place not mentioned, Orchid Delight in Burnaby across from BCIT, right next to the 7 Elevan. Best Chow Kuay Teow (stir-fry flat noodles from Singapore) in town, another CLASSIC. Their pan-fry oyster crepe and their stir-fry chicken and chilli, cashew also very yummy!

Ah, good old Kim Do. Brings back my University days. Its value can't be beat. The food is nothing special but the quanity is gigantic. Where else can you spend $8 and feed two? LOL.

Actually the owner also owns the HO HO on Davie. I used to go so often that the servers knew exactly what I was going to order (i.e. seafood pan fried noodle).

I haven't been there for almost a year.

i got 2 choices. first is a greasy spoon restaurant in richmond on alexandria called

kam do. you'll most likely get a stomach ache from the food but for $10 ill get ful and have left overs. and i'm 6', 120kg. my second choice is my schol. the pacific institute of culinary arts. on mondays they have a two for one. so for about $20 you and a friend can have a fine dining full course meal.