• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Times: best reviewed restos, 2004's NJ section

Curlz

Finally got around to reading yesterday's paper tonight, and I was surprised that nobody here posted about the listing of top NJ restaurants for 2004! The article, which is subtitled A Roundup of the Year's Varied Culinary Standouts, isn't on line yet b/c it was in the NJ Section (started on the front page, in fact) but here's the list, which was compiled from the excellent, very good and good reviews done by Karla Cook and David Corcoran during 2004. Blurbs about each are included, and as you'll see, central and south Jersey are well represented. My biggest objection is the fact that they used up two slots for NY restaurants while leaving places like An American Grill off the list. Wazzup with THAT???

Excellent:

Cucharamama (Hoboken)

Relish (Sparkill, NY--um, Heloooooooo? NY)

Village Green (Ridgewood)

Very Good:

Bula (Newton)

La Campagne (Cherry Hill)

Good: (at least, I think this is where the Good section starts--they left out the header but since it's alpha, I'm making the assumption that it's the final group)

Chakra (Paramus)

Dining Room at Anthony David's (Hoboken)

Elements Cafe (Haddon Heights)

Elysian Cafe (Hoboken)

Frank's Waterside (North Bergen)

Keum Ho Jung (Edison)

Laceno's Italian Grill (Voorhees)

Marsilio's (Trenton)

Ming (Edison)

Mosaica (Vauxhall)

New China (Hamilton)

Nunzio Ristorante Rustico (Collingswood)

Pho an Dao (Edison)

Red Hen Cafe (Medford)

Sweet Vidalia (Beach Haven)

Trattoria Fresco (Caldwell)

Wasabi (Nyack, NY--again...NY?!?)

Waswan@Santoor (West Caldwell)

I think I need to add Waswan to my list of places to try in '05...sure does sound interesting every time I hear/read about it!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yeah....and I thought David liked me. :shock: I even got quoted in his wine by the glass article. I figured it was give it back call after we got a Good in his column though the review read like a very good. Maybe I'm delusional. :laugh: He giveth then taken away.

Shit happens.

Happy New Year all.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That's way more than 10 places. If they're just going to list half of the reviewed places, they may as well list all of them. Like a year end index.

The article's title is The Special? A Bit of Everything, and it does not purport to be a 10 best list but rather a summary of those restaurants rated excellent, very good and good by the critics.

So, it's the title of this thread that is misleading.

For a top 10 list, here are the choices from nj.com's Artful Diner:

http://www.nj.com/dining/reviews_artfuldin...2004?topten2004

I like this list because it includes more central/southern NJ restaurants, providing balance to the Times' decidedly northern NJ tilt.

That's way more than 10 places. If they're just going to list half of the reviewed places, they may as well list all of them. Like a year end index.

The article's title is The Special? A Bit of Everything, and it does not purport to be a 10 best list but rather a summary of those restaurants rated excellent, very good and good by the critics.

So, it's the title of this thread that is misleading.

For a top 10 list, here are the choices from nj.com's Artful Diner:

I like this list because it includes more central/southern NJ restaurants, providing balance to the Times' decidedly northern NJ tilt.

Glad to see Art has finally shelved the thesaurus in his reviews...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Well, uh, hmmm. I totally forgot about TAD and his wonderful list. Wonderful 'xceptin' for the site's somewhat less than democratic policies. Mere mention of words like egullet or foodbytes or our esteemed leader's name or um, yours truly, were enough to get the post automatically deleted. The good 'ol days.

But I digress....