• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best waterfront dining in BC

Andrew Morrison

I went there for brunch last Sunday and will definitely be back.

Had a frittata with potatoes, spinach, goats cheese and heavenly chorizo. Can't wait to try lunch or dinner. So glad to see a good neighborhood place in this space. It is long overdue.

That flatiron looks fantastic. I know what I am having next time I go.

Thank you for the pictures, Mooshmouse.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Went for dinner last night and it was good. The first warm days and some good press and the place was slammed.

Dinner for three with booze and three course came to about 140.00 Nothing on the menu was over $20 bucks. You could see the how the chef spent time at Bin 942 and Elixir.

Paticularly good were:

- A seafood sampler with a tuna/jicima tartar - spicy, fresh, with the right amount of gingery kick.

- I had the Halibut with lemongrass/coconut sauce - delicous.

- My friend had roasted chicken with cumin reduction - crispy skinned flesh with a warmly spiced sauce was comfort food and exotic at the same time.

- The warm chocolate cake mentioned above. Something different from usual molten chocolate cake - very mexican, mousselike cake with flecks of coffee bean and sweet spice.

Like I said, the place was slammed so the service was slow - but no matter. Dinner took about three hours, but on the deck with a great view - who cares.

One thing about leg in boot square - it is a perfectly preserved slice of late 70's urban planning (one wonder how yaletown will age). With all the cedar decking around me I felt like I was in a time warp - I kept expecting to hear Fleetwood Mac over the speakers and seeing cocobuttered grils in jean cutoffs and feathered hair.

Good thing the food is a bit more up to date.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

The lost tribe

My research assistant and I were able to spot some members of the elusive eGullet tribe in their natural habitat. On a balmy, semi-clouded afternoon, after picking up some Quebec cheese from Oyama sausage, we walked along the seawall seeking sustenance. My research assistance demanded a view of the water, so we stopped at Ocean Six Seventeen. Indeed, slightly camouflaged, in a corner of the patio were what appeared to be dominant members of the lost tribe. They were slightly spooked, but as it was close to feeding time, they did not run off, but we thought it better to observe them from a distance while we sampled the food that these people go miles out of their way to find.

My assistant and I shared an order of the flatiron steak, which was seared on the outside and quite bloody within. The meat was tasty and tender, the sauce citrussy. The fries were nut-brown, hot, and savory. We observed the loud laughing and lip-smacking that are known to accompany the mealtime-behavior of the lost tribe in the background. We watched the tourists kayak around the waterway, and shared an order of the cinnamon chocolate cake. The cake was served warm, liberally covered with gloppy chocolate and white "mousse" (whipping cream). This got my young assistant quite excited, but it was the contraband chocolate walnut brownie surreptitiously handed to us by a beautiful young member of the tribe that stole his heart. Apparently we had won their trust, and in the end, we even exchanged a few words with the dominant female of the tribe about the glorious day and the wonderful food. From there, we walked home towards Ontario along the industrial part of the seawall and up the hill towards King Edward. I must admit, I was dreaming of the day we have less cars and more space for strollers and bicycles in this city, but alas... it is only a dream. The whole day had a feeling of a chimera about it. Did we really see the lost tribe of eGullet, or was it all a figment of our sun-drenched imaginations?

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

The cake was served warm, liberally covered with gloppy chocolate and white "mousse" (whipping cream). This got my young assistant quite excited, but it was the contraband chocolate walnut brownie surreptitiously handed to us by a beautiful young member of the tribe that stole his heart.

I'm so glad he enjoyed the brownie! :wub: You have a ridiculously cute research assistant. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Food tastes better by the creek...or so my friend's parrot thinks so.

My friend K's parrot went missing this week. She was quite upset-parrots do not have homing instincts and are very hard to recapture. Well, turns out a woman visiting Vancouver was having lunch al fresco at Dockside restaurant only to have a big grey parrot land on her table and start chowing down on her lunch! The waiter plunked a plastic milk cart over the famished escapee and he was transferred to the brewing room.

The staff phoned the SPCA, where my friend had registered a missing parrot report and she promptly came to pick up the rather sheepish bird. Bogart is doing well back in his cage, and his girlfriend is very happy to have him home-(a little over-enthusiastic, actually). At time of press, the parrot had no comment on whether he was actually reviewing the restaurant for the Globe and Mail's Friday edition.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Has anyone been to Fiddlehead Joe's since they've reopened? I've never been there and have a burning desire to find out whether it is worth checking out :smile:

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I called yesterday to enquire about their expansion and they've double up inside and out, from a 25 seat patio to 50. I'm eager for a report, too and will make a trip down soon to see for myself. In the meantime, I must contend with their website here.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

To give credit where credit is due, I thought I'd post a photo of a Bison Burger from lunch a couple of weeks back at Ocean 6 Seventeen.

gallery_18820_1174_24837.jpg

Both Ian and Arne ordered one; can't remember the exact ratios, but it's predominantly bison meat with some venison thrown in for good measure. Ian says that the burger was delicious and lean, but the sauce definitely took it to the next taste level. Make sure you've got a side dish of chimichurri sauce for french-fry dipping and you've got a lunch made in heaven.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone name all the Oceanside restaurants on both shores? This isn't trivia, just getting stumped after five or so. I mean real oceanfront, on a beach, shore pier, etc.

Lift ....

Just wanted to check in let everyone know about a quick jaunt I had at Lift. Andrew's latest article in the WE gave the jolt of remembering the experience.

It was late at night on a Sunday and I had some friends in from LA. Not much was open, but we dropped by Lift to check it out. We ended on the upstairs deck which was not such a great idea - it was windy and the candles kept going out - and there does not seem to be alot of other lighting up there - so it was DARK.

But the service staff (I wish I could remember the name of the Waiter) was absolutley fantastic. Did everything that they could to makes us comfortable and the service was prompt and friendly (without drifting into overly chummy or servile). Really was top notch.

Will definitely check it out again. And not a cougar in sight - though I think I count as a dirty old man.

• 9 months later...

A quick note in yesterday's edition of The Daily CityFood that Sean Cousins, formerly of RainCity Grill, is now at the helm of Ocean 6 Seventeen. Jeremy Knightly from the Vancouver Club and Virginia Jensen from the restaurant at Mission Hill Winery round out Chef Cousins's BOH crew.

Wonder if this staffing change will have any significant impact on the service issues that people have been kvetching about as of late. :huh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A quick note in yesterday's edition of The Daily CityFood that Sean Cousins, formerly of RainCity Grill, is now at the helm of Ocean 6 Seventeen.  Jeremy Knightly from the Vancouver Club and Virginia Jensen from the restaurant at Mission Hill Winery round out Chef Cousins's BOH crew.

Wonder if this staffing change will have any significant impact on the service issues that people have been kvetching about as of late.  :huh:

Waiterblog posted a link to the newsrelease and I see that Cousins is actually a co-owner now, as well as Executive Chef. From a read of the newsrelease, I conclude a few changes are in the works.

Cheers,

Anne

Just returned from Point No Point for our anniversary weekend. Had lunch at the dining room there on Saturday (pictures forthcoming.) Very relaxed afternoon with a breathtaking view and really wonderful, well executed dishes. J had a beautiful garden salad and a chicken leg-confit. Potato-pancetta soup and portabello linguine for me ... all washed down with a Delas Viognier. Didn't hurt that the weather was outstanding!

If you're ever over near Sooke, and you'd like a less expensive dining option to Sooker Harbour House I'd add this to your dining list!

A.

Here's the link. I concur, but I prefer hot dogs and marshmallows roasted and toasted on their beachfront firepit to their restaurant (capable though it might be).

Cabin "A" is a goodie. And scrabble is a must.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine