• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marlene's Kitchen Renovation

Marlene

We take possession on Monday. We move on the 23rd. Hopefully, the new range will be installed before we move in. I'll have to wait for the island to be built.

(I've obtained some lovely scotch for my husband to drink while I aquaint him with the costs. :biggrin: ). Perhaps the entire bottle will be enough.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We take possession on Monday.  We move on the 23rd.  Hopefully, the new range will be installed before we move in.  I'll have to wait for the island to be built.

(I've obtained some lovely scotch for my husband to drink while I aquaint him with the costs. :biggrin: ).  Perhaps the entire bottle will be enough.

You also might try rocking him to sleep..........

I have a 5-pound rock that might do.. :biggrin:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

. . . . . 

You also might try rocking him to sleep..........

I have a 5-pound rock that might do.. :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OK . . . That triggered a total incapacitation event.

Marlene, I have lost track. Do you have a link to this marvelous range? I have a friend that might have an interest. (Sorry, I am too lazy to try to figure out the one you are talking about.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Marlene, I have lost track. Do you have a link to this marvelous range? I have a friend that might have an interest. (Sorry, I am too lazy to try to figure out the one you are talking about.)

Fifi,

Here yah go!

Sorry ... I just really like this range and am living vicariously through this thread. :rolleyes:

A.

The expenditures have been approved. And I didn't even need the whole bottle. Range and island go on order tomorrow!

Marlene

The expenditures have been approved.  And I didn't even need the whole bottle.  Range and island go on order tomorrow!

Oh Happy, Happy Day!!! :wub:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The orders have been placed. Yesterday the appliance store told me a week to order and deliver, today they told me a week to 10 days. So we'll see whether this gets installed before or after we move. Not that I'm liable to be cooking anything for the first couple of days after the move anyway!

Yippee!

Marlene

*happy dance* happy dance*. My range is being delivered to the house tomorrow. They pulled the gas line today. I'm waiting to hear from my contractor as to whether they can install the range tomorrow or Monday.

Yahoo!

Marlene

*happy dance*  happy dance*.  My range is being delivered to the house tomorrow.  They pulled the gas line today.  I'm waiting to hear from my contractor as to whether they can install the range tomorrow or Monday.

Yahoo!

Excellent, excellent news!!! So it will be in BEFORE you move?? Even better!!

I certainly hope so. I can wait for the island, but I want to get cooking on this baby.

Marlene

We were over at the new house today getting stuff organized. Here's my new baby, waiting to be installed. No, the burners and grates haven't been put on yet.

gallery_6080_374_12407.jpg

Look at the knobs on that sucker!

gallery_6080_374_6690.jpg

This is where its home will be. They still have to cut the granite. You can see the gas line pulled and the panel has been flipped to wall behind

gallery_6080_374_13877.jpg

Marlene

HAH! Those gas burners will whip that fried chicken into submission.

Do you have a cute white dog to sit on top of it waiting to be sauted? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This stove screams grease me up with bacon or fried chicken!  So, just when, Marlene.

Either would be good! But I'm thinking fried chicken first. And of course Prime Rib for the first test of the convection oven.

HAH! Those gas burners will whip that fried chicken into submission.

Do you have a cute white dog to sit on top of it waiting to be sauted?  :laugh:

My three cats would eat the cute white dog for breakfast. :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene, we need a picture of your three felines around this new beastie...Can't let the cute white dog get all the attention! :laugh:

Edited by Safran (log)

We were over at the new house today getting stuff organized.  Here's my new baby, waiting to be installed.  No, the burners and grates haven't been put on yet.

<snippage>

That range is absolutely gorgeous! That's the range I'd get if my building had gas installed. Congratulations! As it is now, I may get the electric Dacor. Was installation of the gasline very expensive?

Marlene, we need a picture of your three felines around this new beastie...Can't let the cute white dog get all the attention! :laugh:

Dogs need far more attention than cats do. My cats just know they are the centre of attention at all times.

We were over at the new house today getting stuff organized.  Here's my new baby, waiting to be installed.  No, the burners and grates haven't been put on yet.

<snippage>

That range is absolutely gorgeous! That's the range I'd get if my building had gas installed. Congratulations! As it is now, I may get the electric Dacor. Was installation of the gasline very expensive?

The gas line was $450.00 to run, all in.

Look at the knobs on that sucker!

gallery_6080_374_6690.jpg

Oh wow!!!! :wub::wub: Wait till Daddy-A sees this!!

He has, and is suffering greatly to be sure! Looks amazing Marlene ... when do you finally get to use it??

A.

Moving day is Wednesday, Thursday is unpacking day. I figure it will be Friday or Sat before I actually get to use it!

Marlene

[Moving day is Wednesday, Thursday is unpacking day.  I figure it will be Friday or Sat before I actually get to use it!

Marlene,

Naahh....you'll be turning that baby on before Saturday for sure! This is too cool!!!

As for the felines...they do need to be the centre of attention (I KNOW, I am owned by a Burmese!!!) therefore, put their little bowls around the new range and take a picture.... We want to see these guys!

Kidding aside, good luck with the move and may your new kitchen be at the heart of many many good times!

Safran

i'll work on the cat pics, although they are of independent mind in this. In the meantime, the sooner the better that I get to actually cook something on this. We don't do Easter in a big way here, but I'm thinking I can come up with a scrumptious meal or two!

Marlene

In case you need an excuse to play with that range, some reports back on how well it works with specific recipes or techniques would be appreciated. Think of it as a public service for those of us who are contemplating similar extravagant purchases...