• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Digest: Twin Cities Food Media Round-Up

ronnie_suburban

Hi All,

Beginning today, we are adding this digest to the Heartland forum. It will be compiled by fellow Heartlander and long-time eGullet member, snowangel, who suggested the idea not too long ago :smile:

As with the other digests which appear on our site, we're setting up this thread as a consolidation point for various, food-related stories of interest which appear in the local Twin Cities media. Based on publication days, we plan to update this thread each Friday.

As the thread continues, please let either me or snowangel know if there are any worthy local media sources that we have neglected to include.

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

October 29, 2004...

From yesterday's Star Tribune's Taste section

Basics on Brasing and related tips and recipes by Bill Ward

Planning, tips help deal with dinner targeted to busy families, by Elizabeth Lee of Cox News Service

Pears by Mollie Katzen.

Tidbits by Al Sicherman, who writes this weekly column about new finds at the grocery store.

Food Events in the Twin Cities.

Wine Tastings in this area.

Lutefisk dinners. We have entered the season where there will be frequent listings of lutefisk dinners, most of them fund raising opportunities for local churches.

Notice about the Star Tribune's Cookie Contest.

Review of Epic, a restaurant in Eden Prairie, by Jeremy Iggers.

Counter Intelligence, a weekly column with local restaurant news.

Now Open, a periodic column about a new dining establishment. This week, they are featuring the new La Brea Bakery in the marketplace at Marshall Field's (it's still Dayton's to me :biggrin: ) Southdale location.

<><><><><>

From today's St. Paul Pioneer Press

A review of the Loring Pasta Bar by Sue Campbell.

Faces. An interview with Kevin Vanderaa, chef/owner of Cupcake.

City Pages this week does The Spicy Side of the Street, A tour through five of the best taquerias on East Lake, by Dara Moskowitz. Sounds like an EG taco crawl might be in order!

<><><><><>

Although only their dining guide is available on the Minnesota Monthly web site, the current issue is their restaurant annual. "This year’s in-depth look at the dining scene is a treat for the palate, the eye, and the mind. Features include a profile of Mitch Omer, patron saint of Hell’s Kitchen; beautiful pairings of food and wine from six master chefs; the inside scoop on great dining in the suburbs, spectacular steaks, bounteous brunches, and virtuoso vegetarian; a look at five patrons of the culinary arts; and our big, user-friendly, save-it-all-year Dining Guide, with listings for 544 restaurants.

<><><><><>

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Updates from some Twin Cities media outlets, which do not 'go to press' by Friday each week, may be edited into each week's post as they become available.

Please do not reply on this thread. For discussion of any stories which are linked here, please feel free to start a new thread or contact the forum host who will be happy to do it for you.

Thanks to snowangel for compiling this report :smile:

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

November 5, 2004...

From todays Star Tribune's Taste Section:

A celebratory issue on the 35th anniversary of this section.

Celebrate With Us chronicles the 35 years, with some amusing notes from the past and present. My, the focus has changed!

35 years of Tidbits with Al's usual amusing notes about different products and trends throughout the years.

Price changes in grocery items over the past 35 years.

Iggers on changes in the restaurant scene and reviewing restaurants. Yes, he mentions the Nankin and Charlie's.

Small appliances over the years.

Local food events and more Lutefisk dinners.

From today's St. Paul Pioneer Press's dining section:

A review of Louis XIII.

Restaurant news.

And, an inteview with Michelle Cheng, chef and co-owner of E Noodle Cafe in Roseville.

From Mix, a bi-monthly publication available at local area co-ops:

A review of Cesare’s Wine Bar in Stillwater.

An article on St. Martin's Table.

There are also many other articles on everything from squash to bottled water to a sustainably grown Christmas Tree. If there is interest, I will post links to more of these.

Finally, as I cleaned out my vehicle the other day, I came across the bag of free goodies from the State Fair that the kids had to have (yes, I should clean out my car more often). I tossed most of them (including the Pace cookbook), but did peruse the Buon Gusto newspaper. I'm not sure where these are available, but it is a monthly, and does have a web site. Although they haven't updated for their November issue, a few items from the October issue caught my eye:

From the Dish and a Flick column, a review of Corner Table. This place has been winning high praise. Any MSP'ers been yet?

And, an inteview with Michelle Gayer-Nicholson, formerly of Trotter's, currently at Franklin Street Bakery.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Updates from some Twin Cities media outlets, which do not 'go to press' by Friday each week, may be edited into each week's post as they become available.

Please do not reply on this thread. For discussion of any stories which are linked here, please feel free to start a new thread or contact the forum host or the "digester" who will be happy to do it for you.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 3 weeks later...

November 25, 2004...

I'm back.

Today's Strib's Taste section includes:

An article on Native Harvest -- " the native feast of our country's indigenous peoples and early settlers. Turkey, wild rice, cornbread, corn, cranberries, sweet potatoes, pumpkin -- all these foods nurture our collective consciousness and unify our cuisine, whether red state or blue." includes reviews of Native American Cookbooks.

An article on the T'day Leftovers.

Counter Intelligence (restaurant tidbits) has some news about Taste of Scandinavia, and the news that Lucia's now serves cocktails in addition to wine and beer.

And, more news on Lutefisk dinners. I'll get mine on Christmas Eve :shock:

$10 and under wine.

And, local Food Events.

Finally, from the Strib, a review of the "new" Goodfellow's, now under the guidance of Chicago's Jason Robinson, formerly of Tru. So, we now have Trotter's former pastry chef (at the Franklin Street Bakery) and Jason. Will be interesting to hear firsthand reports from MSP'ers who dine at the "new" Goodfellows.

This week's City Pages including an article on where to eat while you're doing your holiday shopping. It's an interesting pick of places that covers the gamut from Southdale to Grand Avenue.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Please do not reply on this thread. For discussion of any stories which are linked here, please feel free to start a new thread or contact the forum host or the "digester" who will be happy to do it for you.

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

• 2 weeks later...

December 5, 2004

From this week's Star Tribune's Taste Section

Winners of the Strib's annual Cookie Contest. A couple of them look like they might be worth trying.

An article on Walleye in restaurants. Is it or isn't it? We'll only eat it if we catch it ourselves way up north.

Slow Cookers are back in vogue, but some of us knew they were chic all along.

Review of Hazellewood and Tap Room in Tonka Bay.

Restaurant notes.

A handy little article on Volumes in pans.

This week's City Pages features a great review of Sakura.

Last, but certainly not least, Schneier and his wife Karen Cooper reviewed Barley John's, a small brew pub in New Brighton. This article only appeared in the North section which comes with Wednesday's paper. I'll search around for the other regional sections and see if there are other restaurant reviews. Given that Barley John's is a stone's throw from my folks' house, I see a visit there in the near future.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 1 month later...

January 8, 2005

From yesterday's Star Tribune's Taste section:

Excerpts from Lilla's Feast, a book I must look into. Tells the story of "Lilla Eckford, born in 1882 in a British enclave in China, kept track of the foods she loved as she criss-crossed the globe: to India as a young wife, later to Great Britain and back to China. When the Japanese took over her Chinese province in 1941, Lilla spent three years in an internment camp. There she compiled a cookbook of meals past. In "Lilla's Feast," her great-granddaughter tells the remarkable tale of an ordinary woman and her extraordinary life."

Restaurant review: actually three mini reviews, concentrating on heat: Victor, Mojito and La Perla del Pacifico. Click here.

Restaurant News. The big news is that the Big E is back, but sans Eric Austin. Oh, and the Sawatdee in St. Paul is now owned by Supatra Johnson and operating under a different name.

Al Sicherman has again contributed his Tidbits

Read about food Trends.

Food Events and Local Wine Tastings.

The best from the Strib this week was from the weekly North section. A review by our very own Schneier and Karen for Udupi CafeUdupi Cafe. This is, I believe, the best Indian to be found in the Twin Cities, good enough that a serious carnivore like me doesn't even notice that this is a vegetarian establishment. Housed in a former Pannekooken (sp?) Hus, to boot.

Then there are Dara's Top Dozen Dishes of the year, as reported in Citipages. So, just how many Twin Citians know where Hilltop is? Think it's on my map.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 3 months later...

April 8, 2005

From yesterday's Star Tribune's Taste section:

Go bananas for a long, yellow fruit.

Al Sicherman tantalizes us with Praline Turtle Cake.

A wonderful review of Lucia's, which has become a Minneapolis landmark.

Counter Intelligence -- restaurant news.

Now Open -- Jensen's Cafe in Burnsville.

Local Food events, including the Seward Coop Fair.

From the Pioneer Press:

A review of Craftsman.

Small Bites -- mini reviews of Jensen's Cafe and East River Market.

Restaurant News..

From City Pages:

Dara Moskowitz on How Dry You Are -- wine related.

From Buon Gusto:

A review of Heartland.

Chef Speak -- an interview with Isaac Becker of 112 Eatery.

Edited to add some articles from Mix, a bi-monthly publication available at Twin Citie's coops:

A review of Levain by EG member Schneier and Karen.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Edited by snowangel (log)

April 15, 2005

Today's Star Tribune's Taste section was mostly devoted to Mexican, some local, some not.

For those not living here, the Hispanic population in the Twin Cities has exploded, giving us lots of wonderful options.

First off, Jon Tevlin goes Mexican in Mexico in his article titled South of the Border with an inteview with Patricia Quintana, including some recipes.

In the Restaurant department, real joy. A sampling of the Mexican alternatives in the Twin Cities. none of them of the chain variety. Read about the move from more on Concord in St. Paul to East Lake Street here. Iggers says that "The epicenter of the local Mexican food scene has shifted from St. Paul's west side to the Mercado Central at 15th Av. and E. Lake St., which houses a tortilla factory, a panaderia, a carniceria, a grocery store, a juice and fruit stand, and several food stalls selling tacos, tortas (sandwiches), burritos and Salvadoran pupusas, all under one roof. I haven't had a bad meal in the Mercado Central yet, but the burrito al pastor at Taqueria La Hacienda stands out in my mind as the best I have ever eaten. " I agree.

Equally important to us Twin Citians is Tevlins article on Authentic Mexican Ingredients in the Twin Cities. Following this article is a list of a list of Mexican Grocers in the Twin Cities.

Time for a trip to East Lake Street.

By Tim Teichgraeber, a blind taste testing of popular Mexican beers in Many Hoppy Returns.

Finally, Counter Intelligence. This week focuses on departures. From Dakota, La Belle Vue, and A Rebours. Many changes.

In the Pioneer Press's Restaurant section:

In Small Bites, a mini "review" of Sawatdee in St. Paul, which is now owned by Supatra Johnson. As an aside, Supatra also offers several cooking classes. I know own her cookbook, "Crying Tiger," which is noteworthy because she actually features photos of all of the odd vegetables and herbs which are so often only described by looks in Thai cookbooks.

Restaurant News.

Interview with Howie Walters, owner and operator of Hometown Creamery in St. Paul.

And, in City Pages Restaurant area, Tricia Cornell searches for Hot Pockets -- savory breakfast pastries.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

April 21, 2005

From today's Star Tribune's Taste section:

Jon Tevlin has remained South of the Border in this second of a two-part series, but this week he concentrates on cooking in the home in Mexico. A wonderful read. "From gorditas to mole, many locals agree that the only place to find really good Mexican food is in someone's home."

Iggers celebrates the fact that Hennepin County bars and restaurants are Clearing the Air, having gone smoke-free. He revisits some Minneapolis favorites. How long was it that you had a Jucy Lucy at Matt's? A one pound roast beef sandwich (and the two-day garlic commitment) at Mayslack's?

In Counter Intelligence, Rick Nelson reminds us that the Minneapolis Farmer's Market opens on Saturday and the St. Paul Farmer's Market next Saturday. In addition, much other restaurant news, including the new chef at the Dakota.

In Now Open, Rick Nelson reports on the new Gallery 8 at the Walker. As Rick says "The woman standing behind me in line at Gallery 8 Cafe, the Walker Art Center's remade restaurant, vocalized what I had been thinking. "Eight dollars for an egg salad sandwich?" she tut-tutted to her friend. "It used to be $2."

"A triple-digit price increase was enough for me to momentarily cast aside my intention to embrace change. I'll admit that a part of me longed to see my longtime favorite lunch spot preserved in amber. But after being swept up by the museum's newfound beauty and energy I decided to enthusiastically dive into the cafe's transformation."

(As an aside, interesting that the "new" Walker has received more attention in the New York Times than the Star Trib.)

In the Pioneer Press's Dining section:

Richard Chin reviews the local fast food joint -- Dino's in the Kid's Cuisine column. Up in my neighborhood, the sign says Dino's Gyros. But, apparently the Falcon Heights location offers beer and wine! This is an interesting column which doesn't appear that often, but the reviewers are Pioneer Press staffers that have kids.

In Short Bites, Katie Jenkins revisits some previously reviews haunts and has some pleasant surprises!

Restaurant News reports that Buca and the Saints are teaming up, plus comings and goings, menu changes, etc.

In Faces, Katie Jenkins interviews Jay Randolf, owner of Jay's Cafe on Randolf in St. Paul.

In the City Pages Restaurant area, in Shaken and Stirred, Jessica Armbruster. As Jessica says "And yet, drink lists at clubs throughout the metro area give the impression that the working definition of "martini" is much more flexible than originally believed. Martinis seem to be cross-pollinating with other cocktails, kind of like apples, tomatoes, and other food crops." She visits several different restaurants and bars, sampling away!

EDITED TO ADD:

How could I have missed the review by EG'er Schneier and Karen on the Ideal Cafe in Northfield, MN, now home to many Guatamalean specialties. I went to college in Northfield (St. Olaf), and remember the Ideal Cafe as home to breakfast stuff all day long, and "California" burgers. My, how times change.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

April 28, 2005

From yesterday's Star Tribune's Tastesection:

Rick Nelson delves into A Bite of the Big Apple, a story devoted to books about New York -- the food, cookbooks from NYC chefs, the works.

Rick Nelson's Guide to the Guides -- mini reviews on several of the restaurant guides.

A fun article on Aprons Through the Years, including information on a display of aprons at the Hennepin History Museum.

Food Events.

Jon Tevlin with some info on growing Hot Peppers, including a couple of local sources for plants.

Restaurant news in Counter Intelligence.

An article about Wine Fest, a University of Minnesota Pediatrics Foundation.

From the Pioneer Press's Restaurant section:

A review of Luna Rossa in Stillwater.

In Small Bites, restaurant news.

Some Restaurants Burned by Smoking Ban. For those reading who do not live in the Twin Cities there is a ban on smoking in bars in Ramsey (St. Paul) and Hennepin (Minneapolis) counties.

In Faces, and interview with Danny Sarno, chef/owner of Viva Italia.

In City Pages:

The Best of 2005. Everything from sushi to Asian markets to bartenders to beer selection to breakfast to Cheap Eats (yeah, Holyland) and more. No registration required for this publication.

<><><><><>Media Digest Notes...

May 5, 2005

From today's Star Tribune Taste section:

A wonderful article about Minnesota's own Baker Laureate -- Beatrice Ojakangas, who just won a James Beard Foundation award for "The Great Scandinavian Baking Book." Other links provide some of her recipes.

In Daughter's Love of Cooking Takes Mom Along, a Strib Staff Writer delves into how her daughter has influenced her cooking.

Restaurant Reviews this week focuses on three different places -- Indonesian-American, Cambodian and Korean.

Local Wine Tastings details some up and coming dinners with wine pairings.

Counter Intelligence -- for the lastest in restaurant news.

In Now Open, yet another article about 20.21, one of the new eating venues at the "new" Walker, which is a Wolfgang Puck restaurant.

In Also Open, Hot Plate takes center stage as a breakfast/lunch diner, in Bloomington. Note: it's not a national chain!

In Tidbits, Uncle Al takes on several new food items he's spotted at the market.

Finally, a great article about the Mercado Central on Lake Street, including hints about where to eat. Reminder to self to get down there and do some serious shopping and eating.

In the Pioneer Press's Entertainment section:

Kathy Jenkins gives us a blow by blow of her Week on the Eat Beat, a week of dining out every day.

In Restaurant News, Kathy takes us to Pop! in nordeast, gives news of Crema Cafe, which is getting a nice tweak, and news of a Joe's Valley in Prescott.

In City Page's restaurant section:

Dara Moskowitz visits Craftsman. Her review of the restaurant was not as positive as some of the other reviews I've read, but she did clue me into their bar, which is on my list of "go to" places.

Although not much in the Minnesota Monthly is available on line, if you can get a copy, please do.

There is an article on Lynn Rossetto Kasper, and the beginnings of her Spendid Table radio show. Note that there is a link to this article.

Also included in this issue is an article about Slow Food In the North Country:

An Italian organization devoted to celebrating the honest pleasures of food has spread all the way to Duluth. Does this signify a tipping point for the natural foods movement?

And, one about Supper at Simone's

How an ex-academic transformed a tumbledown Iowa farm into an oasis of exquisite food.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

May 12, 2005

In the Star Tribune's Taste section:

All about Betty Crocker, part and parcel of Minneapolis. Further to this article, click here. I had no idea there was a Betty Crocker radio show than ran for 27 years. Did you?

In "Finding Betty Crocker" (Simon & Schuster, $23), author Susan Marks delves into the colorful history and powerful influence on American eating habits of this fictitious character, who was created more than 80 years ago.
. All about Betty, the myth and the lore.

An article all about the Minnesota State Mushroom. I'm hoping it's a good season!

Restaurant review of Longfellow Grill, part of a local "chain" owned by the folks who also own the Highland Grill and the Edina Grill.

In Counter Intelligence, local restaurant news. Bring down jackets if you want to eat on Solera's rooftop (yes, it has been that cool here at night).

More about new products from Uncle Al in Tidbits.

Finally, Food Events and Local Tastings (wine).

In City Pages Restaurant section:

Dara goes on The Great Steak Hunt, seaking out

the best real dry-aged steaks for sale locally reveals a lucky, lucky, steaky, steaky metropolitan area
, Time to head out Highway 55.

A guide to Patio Dining. Although it is only 37 degrees (F) this morning, patio dining season will soon be upon us.

More Restaurant News.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 5 months later...

Thursday, November 3, 2005

The Strib has a new look and promised new and improved content. No comments from me other than they now only capitalize, at least in the Taste section, only the first word of a title (I'm an engllish lit/creative writing major from college). And, they seem to have upped the quotient of syndicated pieces.

In today's Taste section:

Let's first go to the restaurant news, which is at the end of the section. A nice review of some upscale takeout in Takeout takes a goumet turn by Rick Nelson, which covers both Lucia's Take Home & Bakery as well as My-T-Fine Bakery/Cafe.

In Now Open it's all about La Belle Vie, which has made the move from Stillwater to the old 510 Groveland Space.

Counter Intelligence: Happy Gnome, Middy Pig, some Thanksgiving Day dining out opportunities, news of the Five and the prix-fixe dining room sked to open just after Thanksgiving, as well as the demise of Mojito, and Happy Hour at 20.11 (Wolfgang Puck's place at the Walker, which IMHO took the place of one of the last great deals in dining).

Other news:

Variations on a Theme -- cover article with comparisons of four new comprehensive cookbooks -- the New Woman's Day Cookbook, THe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book, and Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Ruffin' It. All about baking your own pet treats. We don't have a pet.

A syndicated column -- in the form of the the Twin Cities' own Lynn Rossetto Kasper. This week is it about melted cheese, with a recipe for 21st Century Mac 'N Cheese. Click here.

Uncle AL's Tidbits, with his irrevent "reviews" of new prepared products.

Some info on Sparkling wine, with a recommendations that prove that Bubbles aren't all expensive.

Finally, Uncle Al with a little blurb on Apple Pie along with a Creamy Brown-Sugar Apple pie.

In today's Pioneer Press's Entertainment Section, Kathy Jenkins covers a lot of ground:

Restaurants Encourage Patrons to BYOB by "dropping corkage fees to fill more tables."

Another short bit on La Belle Vie. Wonder when we'll see a full-fledged review?

What's New with short blurbs of new places, and places with new faces.

Restaurant News. Muddy Pig and Happy Gnome once again, along with some others.

In Small Bites, Ms. Jenkins reports that I Nonni is now serving lunch.

In Food News I learned that Magnetic Poetry now features both a Food Lovers kit as well as one for Wine Lovers.

Faces features Aaron Buckholz, chef at Kozy's Steak and Seafood at the Galleria.

In Citypages, Dara does Bakery on Grand. This is a very nice review!

I always hesitate to mention something that is not available on-line, but this month's edition of the Minnesota Monthly is their annual food edition. One article -- the one on the Quest for the Perfect Pizza is the only article available on line.

Minneapolis St. Paul magazine has not updated their web site for months!

Edited to add:

In this the current issue of Mix, an article about Brenda Langton, owner of Cafe Brenda, and one of the Twin Cities' original "use local" proponents.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Thursday, November 19, 2005

From the Star Tribune's Taste section:

Sniff, Swirl, Swish: A Guide to Rating Wine Ratings, and two related articles: How Ratings Word and A Closer Look at the Ratings.

Further on wine, How to Pair Wine with Wasabi and Spuds, an article on cooking with wine.

A review of Fugaise, another newcomer to that newly trendy East Hennepin neighborhood.

Food Events and Local Tastings. No lutefisk yet!

Options for Dining out on Thanksgiving.

In Counter Intelligence, news on the inductees to the first year of the Minnesota Hospitality Hall of Fame.

In Tidbits, Uncle Al delves into controlled carb pasta and blueberry preserves.

Over in the Pioneer Press's Restaurant department:

Suggestions on some places for Booking a Room for a Holiday Party.

In Faces, and interview with Pete Caffery, Owner and general manager of Caffrey's Deli and Subs.

Restaurant News includes Vino 610, Awada's, M Street Café, 20.21, Mojito.

In Small Bite, an exploration of what is and isn't available in the Woodbury Lakes lifestyle center.

And, in the City Pages Restaurant department, Dara explores inexpensive sushi in Fish Follies, including where to get supplies to make your own as well as take-out sushi.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the last couple of days. Absolutely stunning for almost mid-November in the Twin Cities.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Star Tribune's on-line edition now includes restaurant news in the Eat + Drink area.

Jeremy Iggers visits La Fougasse and Louis XIII.

In Counter Intelligence, little restaurant news bits.

Now Open features the Bad Waitress Breakfast Joint & Coffee Shop. They don't have waitresses, and they serve not only breakfast, but also lunch and dinner. Diner food.

On Wednesday, in the South section, Karen Cooper and Bruce Schneier reviewed Dim Sum at the Yangtze in St. Louis Park.

Over in the Taste section, Thanksgiving takes center stage.

There are two cover stories. The first on Cooking with Kids; the second on Side Dishes.

This section also includes the annual Thanksgiving and turkey Hot Line directory. It also includes on-line help resources.

From Lynne Rossetto Kasper, an Italian take on Thanksgiving including links to an Italian Wine-Basted Roast Turkey and a Sicilian Orange Salad.

Wine Tasting Notes focusts on affordable picks to keep you company-ready.

The Calendar in the newspaper has ridiculously small type right now. There are some Food Events (no lutefisk dinners yet!) as well as Wine Events. Wine events includes a couple coming up at Fermentations in Dundas.

Over in the Pioneer Press's Entertainment Section:

Kathy Jenkins Talks Turkey With Local Chefs.

There a list of places for Dining Out on Thanksgiving.

Restaurant News has little bits on several area eateries.

Small Bite also covers the Bad Waitress Breakfast Joint and Coffee shop.

Faces talks to Dan McGleno, Production Manager at St. Agnes Bakery.

Dining Notes covers upcoming restaurant events.

In The New Fast Food, they profile Mix It Up Meals a company that allows customers to come in and assemble meals they freeze for serving later.

In the City Pages Restaurant section, Dara breaks out of the Thanksgiving mold. She writes on Native Abundance -- all about Native Harvest, the "the website and marketing arm of the White Earth Land Recovery Project."

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 2 weeks later...

December 1, 2005

In the Star Tribune's Entertainment Section:

A four-star review of La Belle Vie.

In Counter Intelligence, restaurant news, including the closing of Bobino and promises of a new place to take that space.

In Now Open, news that D'Amico does Mexican with the opening of Masa. I'm curious. Italian meets Mexican?

Over in the Taste section:

Annual winners of the annual Holiday Cookie Contest along with links to the recipes.

An article on regional Good Gifts.

A report on New Spirits.

Lynn Rosetto Kasper does Stew.

In Food Events, still no news of lutefisk dinners, but lefse lessons are available!

Wine Events focuses on tastings for holiday dining and entertaining.

Over at the Pioneer Press's Entertainment section:

Presents for Foodies focuses on cookbooks.

There's also Restaurant News as well as another article about Anemonie, Masa and Salut.

In CityPage's Restaurant section, Dara visits Fugaise. ALthough I didn't post a report last week (I was out of town), she had nice reviews of Lucia's Bakery and Take Home and the Heartland Wine Bar.

The current issue of Mix, a great inteview with Brenda Langton, owner/chef of Cafe Brenda and a proponent of local since long before it was fashionable.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday, December 22, 2005.

Yes, I'm late. It's been a very busy month.

First off, in last week's Strib and City pages, Dara and Jeremy both did Five, and the new fine dining experience Five is offering with the tasting menu. You can find Jeremy's take here, and Dara's take here.

This week's Star Tribune's Taste section was pretty darned sparce.

The big article was on Seasonal Sparklers and cocktails made with same.

Other than that, most noteworty was the review of Three Thai Restaurants. I'm only annoyed that I was across the street, shopping for yarn just a week ago, and didn't notice Chai's. Sure would have beat the leftovers I dug out of the fridge when I got home.

As a side note, I'm not entirely pleased with the look of the new web site. Restaurants and food are in two different areas of the web site, and the annoying banners are making the site difficult to navigate.

Over in City Pages this week, Dara talks about Sous Vide. On of the things that I increasing enjoy about Dara's colums is that they are not always restaurant reviews, but discussions. This is a nice article, and another great thing about City Pages is that they do not require registration.

Over at the Pioneer Press's Restaurantsection:

Hot Spots: Where to Take Out of Town Visitors for Dining and Drinks.

In addition, there is all sorts of Restaurant News.

Finally, and sadly, news of Restaurant Closings. Yes, Ciatti's is not more.

That's it for this week.

I hope everyone has a very happy holiday.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday, January 4, 2006

From the Star Tribune's Entertainment section:

Purple People Eatery. As they say,

The football is great, but food and service need some work at this Woodbury restaurant.

Also of note on the main entertainment page are links to -- Restaurant of the Year. I've been once, and it was wonderful. I'm planning on hitting that place again early in February. The other great article still up on on the main page is a guide to Five Fabulous Pho Finds. Time for pho.

Counter Intelligence visits Mañana Pupusería y Restaurante over in St. Paul. A very nice review.

Over in the Strib's Taste section, a mother and daughter have a Dynamic Duel in the kitchen, cooking all sorts of "ethnic" recipes.

There are a mess of Food Events, but I couldn't find any wine tasing events on the on-line edition.

A search of the north and south supplements reveals a review of Granite City, which sounds like another restaurant to avoid.

I continue to be puzzled when I navigate the recently revamped Strib web site, and wondered why they couldn't include an address for Granite City.

Over at the City Pages Restaurant section, Dara doesn't do restaurants. Instead, she reviews two books -- "Vegetable Love" by Barbara Kafka, with Christopher Styler and "The Niman Ranch Cookbook" by Bill Niman and Janet Fletcher. I love Dara's subject choices. We have several great "food writers" in the Twin Cities, and I'm always glad to see Dara diverge from restaurant reivews.

In the Pioneer Press's Entertainment section, Kathy Jenkins visits IN, Horsch's restaurant which looks to me like it sits at the unhip area of the intersection of 35W and E. Hennepin.

In what I think is the current issue of Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine, they have updated their web site, and if you go to the Best of the Twin Cities page, and use the drop down box, you'll find their picks for some specific foods, including the likes of neighborhood wine shops, greasy burgers and ice cream cones to name a few.

Minnesota Monthly features 2006 Minnesota Favorites, which includes some food stuff (not available on-line) as well as "quick bites" of Heartland Wine Bar and Kozy's (available on-line). Heartland's Wine Bar is on our February list of places to go.

Last, a new issue of Mix, a bi-monthly available at local co-ops, one of the first reviews I've seen of Craftsman Restaurant & Bar since the change of chefs.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

From todays Star Tribine Eat+Drink section:

Restaurant Review: Masa, D'Amico's foray into the world of Mexican. It is a so-so review. Sounds like they are high on atmosphere and plating and only so-so on flavor.

In the most odd thing, the Counter Intelligence column which appears on-line is completely different than the one that appears in the paper which the boy thumped against the front door today. The on-line edition focuses on the changes in St. Anthony now that Apache Plaza is gone and has been replaced.

But, in my in-print edition, I got my first laugh of the day. You can forget about the review of Purple People Eatery that was in last weeks edition. It has closed. The blurb states that "Carl Eller...says that he expects the restaurant to reopen, but no further details were available at press time.

In Now Open (which I can't find on-line), Jeremy Iggers visits Hong Kong Star and notes that this typically non-descript Chinese restaurant in a non-descript strip mall in St. Louis Park has a nice selection of Cantonese items on the menu, which is a nice surprise.

All-American Comfort recycles an article from the New York Times a week ago yesterday. But, there is a nice twist -- a little Historic Introduction to Mac -- a mini-interview of Marlena Spieler (frequent eGullet contributer) by Lee Svitak Dean.

One really neat article -- Neighborhood cook's children help in kitchen. A guy who is sort of running an un-official cooking school in his house for really little kids.

Lynne Rosetto Kasper talks about What is a gram.

Over in yesterday's regional South section, Schneier and Cooper review the Grand City Buffet. Sometime for everyone.

This remains a very frustrating web site, and I am puzzled why sometimes the on-line and print editions are so different.

Finally, in What's Cooking news that it is once again Girl Scout cookie time. Including what's different between what the Minneapolis and St. Paul Girl Scout's sell.

Over at the Pioneer Press's Restaurant section:

Kathy Jenkins reveals Everything I Ate For a Week. A very fun read.

There is Restaurant News which reveals that Mitch is once again trying to sell is supper club.

Over in the City Pages Restaurant section, Elizabeth Noll does hash browns in an article titled The Oily Grail. Time to head to Al's Diner. But, many of us have known that all along.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Thursday, January 19, 2006

From today's Star Trib's Entertainment section:

A very nice review of Hot Plate. As Rick Nelson says,

The diner, that endangered piece of Americana, is staging a comeback -- at least at the Hot Plate. This eight-month-old enterprise has quickly distinguished itself as a destination for diner-inspired fare, with a twist: Owners Sam Beberg and Carrie Lewis buck diner protocol by incorporating premium-quality, locally sourced ingredients into thoughtfully crafted, re-energized versions of breakfast and lunch standards.

In Counter Intelligence, some good bits, including something on Yafa Grill and Pizzeria which includes lots of into on everything except pizza. That Central Avenue area of North Minneapolis and Columbia Heights has become quite a bountiful "buffet" of international foods.

In Nightwatch (OK, I missed this one last Friday), where to eat in the wee hours. This article reminded me that I really do need to get to Flameburger again for an artery clogging meal of a burger, some onion rings (they do them well) and some hash browns, which would have been worthy of a visit by Elizabeth Noll last week when she did an article for City Pages on hash browns.

In the Taste section:

A look forward to Sweet Treats, celebrating treats that reek love.

I'm still struggling to navigate this web site and finding the stuff that's in the paper, but I'm getting better at it!.

Over in the CityPages Restaurant section, Ann Bauer talks about the Mourning Meal

What to serve when interring a loved one, and other culinary tips from the afterworld
. This is a wonderful article, and I continue to love the variety and "outside the box" articles that CityPages provides on food. There's only one article per week, but they are gems.

Kathy Jenkins heads east, to Hudson, Wisconsin, giving talking coffee shops and pizzerias.

Over in Kid's Cuisine, Nacho Mama's in Stillwater.

Since most of what the Pioneer Press focused on Stillwater and Hudson, it might just be time for a Sunday drive to Wisconsin.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In last week's Entertainment section of the Strib:

The World According to Soup -- a conpendium of restaurants that offer soups from around the world. While there are no reviews nor details or what offerings are at these restaurants, it is a nice directory. On a cold winter's night, you should be able to find something close to home.

In my continuing frustration with their on-line edition, I can't find Counter Intelligence on-line.

Over in the Taste section, more on soup!

The Lure of Fish Soup, with a couple of recipes and some tips on buying fresh fish.

An article on Chinese New Year, focusing on food symbolism, complete with a recipe for a noodle soup -- to ensure long life.

Lynn Rosetto Kasper talks Chicken Broth (canned) with some tips on doctoring the canned stuff. Sh also fields questions about crock pot temps.

Over in the Pioneer Press's Entertainment Section:

Kathy Jenkins explores Meat Raffles. Yes, that's right. Meat raffles. Who knew?

Restaurant News includes news of another Thai restaurant, this one in Stillwater.

In Small Bites, news of yet another Thai restaurant in Stillwater.

Over at City Pages -- It's A Wine, Wine, Wine World -- all about several of the many specialty wine shops which have opened up. Move over Surdyk's and Haskell's...

I'll be back on Thursday, and on time!

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Thursday, February 2, 2006

In the Strib's Eat+Drink section:

An absolutely delightful review of Duplex. I just love seeing a little, affordable restaurant get such a glowing review.

Counter Intelligence reports on new airport offerings and the changing of the restaurant guard at the Calhoun Beach Club.

In their Taste section:

Part 2 of the two-part series on Fish Soup.

All about Avocados. Also there is some fun Trivia about Avocados.

Not much else to report. I can't seem to find Liquid Assets in the on-line edition, but have noticed the last couple of weeks that what is in the paper edition is syndicated Wall Street Journal articles.

In my weekly whine about the Strib's on-line edition, they have those banner ads at the top of most of the pages that preclude using the drop down menus.

Kathy Jenkins visits Chico Chica, over by the Xcel Energy Center. According to Kathy, go for the apperizers.

There's some Restaurant News, including news of more steak on Wabasha St.

I just noticed this article called Opening Soon which lists, month by month, what's in the works.

Small Bites of Peninsula (Malaysian food on Eat Street) and the Clicquot Club Café in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis.

Finally, over at the City Pages, Jessica Armbruster has Fond Memories -- confessions of a sugar junkie, documenting two classes she took at Sweet Celebrations. Sweet Celebrations was formerly Maid of Scandinavia. Took me back to the days when there were Mail of Scandinavia stores peppered throughout the Twin Cities. A friend and I took a class once, and on the odd occasion I want to make candy, it's the littlel mimeographed (yes, mimeographed) pamphlet I turned to.

I continue to be amazed at the variety of subjects that City Pages covers. They don't offer the number of articles that the two other papers cover, but the variety is outstanding.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sorry to be absent. A nicotine deprived blog was more than I could handle. The blog is done, and I'm not feeling the absence of nicotine so severely.

In today's Strib's Entertainment section:

A delightful review of Yum! Kitchen and Bakery over on Minnetonka Blvd. I think that due to volleyball for Diana, I will be not too far from this place, and it's sounding like a trip over to Yum! might be a better bet than a cheap boiled hot dog.

In Counter Intelligence, news of yet another bakery opening. Carbs must be in fashion.

Joyce White explores the move of rice from Africa to South Carolina, complete with links to savory and sweet rice dishes. I'm enjoying her columns more and more.

Rick Nelson tells us all about Joey D's Chicago Style eatery. I'll leave it to those in the know as to whether this sounds like a Twin Cities interpretation of Chicago, or whether it is Chicago transplanted.

There was an article in the print edition, which I can't find in the on-line edition about a kit that has pans and syringes so you can actually make your own Twinkies! Who knew!

To backtrack, a week ago yesterday, Schneier and Cooper review Serum's, an Anoka joint featuring great wings, bar atmosphere. As they say, "Serum's is the kind of restaurant that has been endlessly reproduced in national chains. It's just that Serum's has no forced kitsch about it." And, it's in my neighborhood.

Over at the Pioneer Press's Restaurant Section:

Kathy Jenkins does some Small Bites incling news of "serious Chinese" on that rich food section (the Eat Street of St. Paul) on University just east of Lexington. Oh, and there's a new rib joint in Stillwater.

Nancy Ngo does her version of small bites, with news about openings, closings, chain reactions.

Over at City Pages Restaurant section, Tricia Cornell is all over fair trade coffee in Peaceable Kingdom. As a side note, Peace Coffee is a fun place to visit. I've been drinking coffee from this place since they opened. My dad and I share five pound bags of Bird Mountain.

Until next week, stay warm.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Friday, February 24, 2006

In the Strib's Taste section:

A Tour of Local Supermarkets

Two-thirds of Twin Cities shoppers turn to Cub Foods and Rainbow Foods. So in this highly competitive market, what do all the other grocers do to capture customers' attention? They make themselves stand out. Here are four supermarkets new to the scene that offer something out of the ordinary.

Sounds like the Byerly's St. Louis Park location remake is quite something! Wonder if they still have the chandaliers above the frozen food?

A short interview with Laura Werlin, who's coming to the Twin Cities for the upcoming Food & Wine Experience.

There's a listing of Local Wine Schools.

In the Strib's Entertainment section:

The 10 Best Beer Experiences in the Twin Cities. The annual Bockfest is being held tomorrow at Schell's Brewery in New Ulm. It's one of the oldest family-owned breweries in the country, and if you've never been, go. It's a fun place to visit, and the grounds are really beautiful.

There's review of Trocodaros, which sounds like a place with multiple personalities, but the verdict on the food was quite good.

Boo Hoo. Counter Intelligence includes news that Hamlin's Cafe (on Nicollet between 5th and 6th) is closing. Back when I started working downtown, before the day and age of food cafeterias, Hamlin's was a mainstay. The food was good, and they always remembered you.

Another review of Fugaise. This review was not as positive as the ones that have appeared in the Strib or City Pages, but still an excellent review.

In Restaurant News a fight over the Kitty Cat Klub has morphed into a lawsuit.

Going Global -- news of new French, Italian and Vietnamese restaurants.

In CityPages, Jessica Armbruster goes in search of the Best Hot Toddy.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Friday, March 3, 2006

From the Startrib's Entertainment section:

The big news is all about the fact that Lenny Russo of Heartland will heat the Gutherie's New Eateries once they are in their new digs. He will partner with Bon Appetit, a food service giant.

Russo is handing over the reins at Heartland to his partner (and spouse) Mega Hoehn and current chef de cuisine Robert Moore and sous chef Stephanie Kochlin. But he'll be retaining his practice of relying upon Midwestern family farms -- more than 30 at last count -- to stock his three Guthrie kitchens. One big reason Russo said he took the job was because his business practices were consistent with those of Bon Appetit's, which requires its chefs to seek out locally raised, sustainably produced foods.

This is existing news, and I wish Lenny and Mega the best as they face big changes! I'm pleased that Lenny's touch will be tasted more often than dinner over in the Mac-Groverland neighborhood!

There is also a quite positive review of Copper Bleu, an indy in the Lakeville world of chain restaurants and fast food.

In Now Open, a visit to the all new Town Diner. I've heard from a friend that this is a winner, especially if you want to got with a family with kids and do better than fast food. Nice drink menu!

In the Taste section:

A predictable salute to the Oscars with some Food Best of Movie-wise. And linked recipes.

Over across the River, in the Pioneer Press's Restaurant section:

The Lunch Hour -- "Mission possible: Get out of downtown St. Paul, get a good meal and get back to work in 60 minutes." Several spots highlighted, covering all sorts of cuisine.

In Restaurant New, Kathy Jenkins visits Bella in Blaine, Town Talk Diner, and NBA City Cafe in the Target Center.

In the Citypages Restaurant section, Andy Steiner interviews Emel and Masooda Sherzad, owners of Kyber Pass Cafe and Da Afgan. A fascinating read, and typical of the narrow focus that Citypages takes to it's food topics.

Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine wins a bit thumbs down from me. It is an annual food issue, and they don't even promo it, or give some hints on the web site. Given what I perused while waiting in line at Cub today, I tossed an issue in the cart along with the chuck, onions and OJ, and will let you know if this is an issue worth purchasing. You'd think this publication would want to promo itself!

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...