• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best deal on Chicago pizza?

all-u-care-2

The other day I saw that well-beaten Travel Channel show about Chicago pizza, and it made me wonder where the best deal on it is in northern NJ.

The closest I've ever been to it there was the pizza stand in Penn Station concourse, Newark, back in the mid-to-late-80s when I was commuting to a certain Punjabi homeopath (fun guy, loved a good vodka IIRC)...

[GO YANKEES!]

BOB

I'm not sure it exists here with the exception of chains like Pizza Uno and Pizza Hut which make an unacceptable replica of the real thing. I think you have to go to Chicago. Part of this is because of what Kim said, you have great pizza here that is, I think, a closer cousin to the real Neopolitan pie and so there is no call for Chicago style pizza in this part of the country.

I'm sure if you posted on the heartland bb you could find a "good" mail order source though I think you'd need to go to Chicago to have the real thing.

I consider Lou Malnati's to be the best rendition of Chicago deep dish pizza. As you can imagine, this is subject to debate. :biggrin: But, I think most who are in the know would agree that it's in the Top 3. Afaik, it is also the only Chicago deep dish pie that is available via mail order.

Here is a link to their mail order web site:

Malnati's mail order

I've can't remember ever having the mail-order version but I've heard mixed reviews from those who have tried it. Some rave about it, some claim it's not worth ordering. Whatever, you may want to give it a whirl.

For me, a lifelong Chicagoan, I appreciate deep dish pizza but I burnt out on it long ago. I definitely prefer thinner crust NY/New Haven style pies. Such irony. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help. I've never been to Uno's, but at least I know what it's like from the cable show, and there are some in NY/NJ that aren't out of the way.

For Kim, I'm just the type that wants to try new and different things, esp. of a food nature.

For menton1, Adzzz by Google is like that. Just like its search-engine namesake, it searches for participating businesses whose ad copy matches words in the page.

Edited by all-u-care-2 (log)

BOB