• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intro and question

PurosDave

Hello everyone, I just registered today and was referred by Bolivar PC.  I have really started falling in love with rum, especially HC7.  I have been looking for a rum available in the US for about the same price with that same smooth sweet finish.  I have read a lot of topics about the rums that are twice my age (23) but I imagine those are way out of my price league.  Which rums would you suggest that I try, remembering that I am just getting started on rum tasting.  TIA

welcome here Puro. I see that you in the WA area although kinda on the border uhh? Am I right? I myself am moving back to WA (close to Puyallup) at the end of the month. WA is not the best place to find rum in and I'm not sure about OR. I have a site for WA where you can see what is available and at what stores but mail order might be best.

http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandpicklist.asp

go into a search for rum here something might be avail close to home!! hope it works!

So did I hear that you like a good stick with a good rum.....they seem to go hand in hand for me, anyhow glad to see you here

cj

Yeah, I live right next to Oregon and I still consider myself an Oregonian.  Thank you for the link and I do really enjoy cigars with my rum and rum wiht my cigar.  They seem to go hand in hand with each other.

Greetings and welcome PurosDave,

This is the right place to be if you're looking for some rum...

Being from Montreal Canada I have the opportunity to purchase HC7.  Quite frankly it's by far NOT my favorite rum, sorry Kendall...  It should and could be good if only it did not have that Meyer’s like aftertaste.  It does have an awesome smell though.

Here is a small list of Rums that I prefer more than HC7:

• Matusalem Anejo Superior (Cuba)
  • Santiago De Cuba Ron Anejo
  • Caribbean Club 7 Anos
  • Flor De Cana Centenario 12 Year Old
  • Flor De Cana Grand Reserve 7 YearOld
  • Matusalem Classic Black (Miami)
  • Pomparo Aniversario
  • Smuggler’s Cove Dark
  • Zacapa Ron Centenario
  • Appleton Estate Extra
  • Appleton Estate 21 Year Old
  • Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum
  • Matusalem Grand Reserva (Miami)
  • Mount Gay Extra Old
  • Santa Teresa 1796 Solera
  • Brugal Anejo Grand Reserve Familiar

I hope that this will help you out a little.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean