• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Borges/Ferran Adria Flavored Oil

caroline

Well, there I was pushing my cart around the Mega Commercial in León and what should I spot but a bottle with Ferran Adria's photo on the label hanging round its neck. Or a series of bottles of flavored olive oil produced by the firm Borges. So seven bucks later, I am the proud owner of 200ml of chile and cardamom flavored oil. The web page suggests I try it over spinach.

All in the interests of culinary research! I'll be curious to see how they sell,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Well, there I was pushing my cart around the Mega Commercial in León and what should I spot but a bottle with Ferran Adria's photo on the label hanging round its neck.  Or a series of bottles of flavored olive oil produced by the firm Borges.  So seven bucks later, I am the proud owner of 200ml of chile and cardamom flavored oil.  The web page suggests I try it over spinach.

All in the interests of culinary research!  I'll be curious to see how they sell,

Rachel

Oy vey iz mir! One would have thought that the Adrias owned so much of this galaxy's culinary real estate that they would be immune to the blandishments of package-itis! I cannot wait to hear how it tastes. And, why stop at spinach? Quelites! Papalo or lamb's quarters come to mind. How do you think it would be on the huauhzontli? Or berros? Or for dunking pieces of pan de muerto into? Sort of a Mexican/Spanish/Swedish (the cardamom in sweet yeast pastry) fusion!

Tell, tell!

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Guess what?  It tastes like oil with chile peppers and cardamom.  No, seriously,

Rachel

Hah! And that from a man famous for using smoked water in an amuse-bouche!! Lordy, Lordy!

Next thing you know Albert Adria will be shilling a line of deconstructed Twinkies or Zingers.

There's hope for all of us, Caroline, dear.

Theabroma

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment

Oh, Esperanza! I LOVE it!

Theabroma

I was just at one of my favourite markets and there in the corner, looking very dusty and neglected was a yellow spinning rack with the Borges/Adria oils. I could not believe my luck. Unfortunately, many of the bottles were past their sell-by dates.

I purchased the vanilla/olive oil combo and am very curious. I paid $8.99 Cdn.

Will report back.

s