• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robb Walsh "thrown out" of a restaurant

FoodMan

Osso Buco Me? Osso Buco You!

One of the most fun restaurant reviews/investigative jouranlism pieces I have read in a while. Portofino’s owner actually threw Robb Walsh out because he dared to complain about one of their “signature dishes”. I guess he did not think he will be reading about it in the Houston Press. A fun read that could lead to an interesting discussion.

Anyone ever had a similar problem? I sure haven’t.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Yikes! Talk about a bite on the ass :blink:

You reap what you sow. Usually it takes a bit longer for the Karma Police to catch up with you. What goes around usually takes some time to come around, but I guess this time what went around was attached to a bungee cord! :laugh:

Bet Mr. Salmassi is feeling a little sheepish today. Or a little "vealish"?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wow.  That is brutal! 

Foodman: Please, please, please keep your eye out for any rebuttals, letters to the editor, etc. from Mr. Salmassi.  I want to see those!

Oh, I will. Also, Mr. Walsh is a member of e-gullet, so he might give us an update if he feels so inclined.

I can totally invision Walsh clamly paying, leaving a tip, and walking out VERY calmly while all the time contemplating the proper way to write his response :smile:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thank you, Foodman, for pointing out this piece. It's priceless.

Especially this:

<"No," he said adamantly. Then he delivered his big punch line with a whispered rage reminiscent of early Al Pacino. "When you know what osso buco is, then you can talk to me about my osso buco.">

Mr. Salmassi: You got served!

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

And, as entertaining as the article is, he manages to throw in a very fair-minded and useful review, plus a nice bit of information on the various cuts of osso buco. The man has skills.

I also appreciated his fair review of the place given the fact that the owner was a total jerk to him.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I also appreciated his fair review of the place given the fact that the owner was a total jerk to him.

Elie

Ironically -- or intentionally -- it probably emphasizes the rudeness of the owner, too. If Walsh had just writ him the riot act, or made fun of him ala London-style reviews, you might have thought he was petty or maybe deserved the lashing he got. But instead, it's like when two people are debating and one is yelling while the other is calmly explaining his points. It just makes the screamer look even worse. Again, he has skills.

It was indeed a fun article, but I still am scratching my head trying to figure out why Robb gets thrown out of restaurants as often as he does (I can remember one other time offhand; was it more?). I can't remember any time a critic for the New York Times or any of the other New York papers, for example, told us s/he was thrown out of a restaurant. Do you suppose it happens to them, too, but they don't write about it?

Michael aka "Pan"

OMG that is funny. Now that I am picking myself up off the floor... I am contemplating a trip to Portofino (I haven't been there in over a year) just to pull the owner's chain. They are in the neighborhood. The entertainment factor sounds worth it. What I really appreciate is Robb's persistence in research to show that he is not operating on just opinion but fact.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It was indeed a fun article, but I still am scratching my head trying to figure out why Robb gets thrown out of restaurants as often as he does (I can remember one other time offhand; was it more?). I can't remember any time a critic for the New York Times or any of the other New York papers, for example, told us s/he was thrown out of a restaurant. Do you suppose it happens to them, too, but they don't write about it?

This is the one I remember him writing up. He didn't get thrown out as much as he got chased out ... Bagels Rip My Flesh.

Wouldn't it be funny if you got like 30 people together, went to Portofino, and all ordered the Osso Buco?

And then all sent it back... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This is the one I remember him writing up.  He didn't get thrown out as much as he got chased out  ...  Bagels Rip My Flesh.

This one's even better! And as in the other review he still manages to give an evenhanded appraisal and even recommend the place. After the egulleters hit up Portofino for 30 osso buccos we should stop by this place and each take out a notebook . . .

OMG that is funny. Now that I am picking myself up off the floor... I am contemplating a trip to Portofino (I haven't been there in over a year) just to pull the owner's chain. They are in the neighborhood. The entertainment factor sounds worth it. What I really appreciate is Robb's persistence in research to show that he is not operating on just opinion but fact.

Please do Fifi, and report back. I guess there is no such thing as bad publicity is there. People might go there because of the article.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Outstanding!

This owner deserves every molecule of whatever gets thrown at him. Arrogant popcorn fart that he is...

Ripping off customers, then unsuccessfully arguing his point with a guy who knows the truth? I want to track this story too.

If the guy has some savvy, he'll merchandise the hell out of this. Become the "Osso Buco Nazi", get buttons made up "No Osso Buco for you." Print up posters with a dictionary like version of the definition for Osso Buco.

At the same time he might want to follow up a tad on the quality of the product.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter