• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

venue planning advice needed

i'm hoping someone on this board might be able to help me out with a couple of ideas.

i'm planning a pre-wedding small event for 8-12 women in early october. we're starting at a salon from 4-6 and then planning to go out. i'd like to find someplace with ambiance - but not a hipster hangout, and someplace that's relatively convenient to post-nosh drinks...a night on the town without tp veils or anatomically inappropriate drinking vessels.

topping my list so far is madrid 522 but i'm hoping for some other suggestions. i guess what i'm really looking for is sambar light...a little cheaper, a little bigger and a little less discovered - but still sassy.

i've also got zigzag on the list as a possible...any other ideas? for food my preference is small plates but i'm open.

thanks all - rk

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

How fun!!

Places that come to mind afor food are the Capital Club (private room), Assiago (I've been to a few large group b-day parties here, they set up a long table), Palace Kitchen (private room but you can leave all the windows open to the restaurant).

Drinks at Il Bistro, Zig Zag, Brasa, Chapel.........

i'd thought of palace kitchen...but more as a place to go afterwards - pie and cocktails, anyone?

i think the fish might be a little too high end for some of these girls...i'd hate to feel bad about the cost of the night or make anyone feel uncomfortable.

what is chapel?

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Chapel is on Capital Hill. they make great martinis and the space is very unusual, it use to be the chapel of a funeral home. It's not grim at all though, quite the opposite. They have a great Happy Hour every weekday 5- 8pm. Check it out so you can see for yourself. I swear they have like 30 different flavored martinis!!

I had my 35th b-day party at Palace last year in the private room. We had 14 people and it was really fun.

What spa are you going to (location)?

lmf- the salon we're going to is frenchy's in madison park.

chapel - right. i think that opened the moment i left capitol hill. i appreciate the irony of going to a funeral parlor-bar for a bachelorette party, but that might be why i'm still not engaged...i'll definitely check out crow...i hadn't thought of the pink door, but it's a good idea.

nightscotsman - you used to work at tango right?...in 5 tries, it's only been good once. (in the private room, we asked the kitchen to bring whatever they wanted us to have and it was great) so - maybe i just order badly... but i feel a little gun-shy about it.

thanks a million for the advice given thus far - please - keep it coming. 5th and aloha - what's near there - the sitting room? that would be good for afters.

rk

--6 Train

Can you ladies saunter over to nishino's when done with your services? Very useful if you have been drinking during your pedicures. :)

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

nightscotsman - you used to work at tango right?...in 5 tries, it's only been good once. (in the private room, we asked the kitchen to bring whatever they wanted us to have and it was great) so - maybe i just order badly... but i feel a little gun-shy about it.

Didn't work there, but I did have a chat with the pastry chef. Very nice woman. Also had several exellent dinners there. Fell in love with the bacon-wrapped dates.

Didn't work there, but I did have a chat with the pastry chef. Very nice woman. Also had several exellent dinners there. Fell in love with the bacon-wrapped dates.

The savory chef is reported (in The Seattle Weekly) to be running a little Italian place in Bremerton these days.