• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have a rice steamer...

Anna N

As an off-shoot of this thread:

Steamer recipes

As said in the thread mentioned, I now have a rice-vegetable steamer. The other thread will address vegetable and other recipes but what about rice? I can steam loads of it easily BUT why? We don't like rice!

At least not plain steamed rice - of any sort. Convince me that you can do something with this bland, white, grain to give it a little interest. Drowned in enough sauce of various sorts it might make it on the plate twice a year and I've made the occasional fried-rice that barely passed muster. Otherwise - it's not in my lexicon.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i've made flavored rices in a steamer before. my favorite is jamaican style rice and peas:

http://www.caribcon.com/ricepeas.html

you can also steam rice with half water half unsweetened coconut milk and panadan leaf (i think) for the coocnut rice for nasi lemak. but that's a whole other story.

you could also use ti to cookt he rice to make other things with like fried rice.

I've always liked plain old rice, but since I started using Basmati and Jasmine rices, I'm hooked on the stuff. I love the smell, the firmness of the individual grains of rice, the taste, and I often don't add a thing. Nope, it's not bland! But it's wonderful with a bit of sugar and cinnamon and raisins for breakfast or a snack; great to turn into fried rice; good as Mexican rice. Try steaming the rice with liquids other than water: beef or chicken broth, even fruit juices. Try different herbs and spices. It's a wonderful medium for experimenting with a new flavor. When I want to try a new spice or herb, I often make up just a bit of rice to test whether I'll like the spice or not. And so many vegetables can be coupled with rice: carrots, peas, broccoli, onions, peppers, squash, mushrooms... just about anything. We hardly ever have potatoes any more. Rice for us is faster and tastier! I've started buying it in 5-pound bags! lkm

Edited by lmarshal1 (log)

you can also steam rice with half water half unsweetened coconut milk and panadan leaf (i think) for the coocnut rice for nasi lemak. but that's a whole other story.

tryska, I think nasi lemak is very much on topic.

Anna N, if you get a chance to go to a Malaysian restaurant, give Nasi Lemak a try(literally, fatty/oily rice). It will usually come with all sorts of spicy sides, but have a taste of just the rice. You may be surprised. If you don't like spicy food, I think most places will let you order just the nasi lemak rice.

Pandan leaf, also known as screwpine leaf, and is available from SE Asian grocers.

Another favorite of mine is chicken rice. Hainanese chicken rice is also a popular Malaysian dish.

It starts with rendering some chicken fat (a lot of it if you want a lot of flavor). Chicken broth, with salt, ginger and the rendered fat are used instead of water to cook the rice.

I also mentioned on a earlier thread that I steam a mixture of grains and seeds, most including rice, particularly the Lundberg variatals. Lundberg rices In particular the Wehani and the Jubilee blend.

Millet, amaranth, teff, steel cut oats, kasha, sunflower seeds, etc.

Occasionally I mix couscous in with the cooked grains and seeds.

I seldom use water as I prefer diluted coconut milk, chicken, beef or duck stock, vegetable stock.

There are a variety of seasonings I use depending on what it will accompany.

I sometimes add chopped steamed vegetables but cook them separately.

Of course I like plain rice also but it is always "doctored" with butter, various sauces, Memmi, Ponzu, sweet chile, sweet soy sauce, etc.

I like the combination of cooked rice mixed with the jarred "three bean salad" then the whole thing heated and served with crumbled crisp bacon on top. The combination of sweet, sour, salty, smoky, etc. is making me salivate as I type.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

you can also steam rice with half water half unsweetened coconut milk and panadan leaf (i think) for the coocnut rice for nasi lemak.  but that's a whole other story.

hee i was thinking it was a whole other story because of all the accompaniments.

i love the coconut rice all on it's own tho.

In Louisiana they have a rice called pecan rice that is exceptional. It smells and tastes so much like pecans you will not believe it. I think the brand I used to get all the time was konriko. Do try it if you think your rice needs a kick.

We hardly ever have potatoes any more.  Rice for us is faster and tastier!  I've started buying it in 5-pound bags!

I just drove down to Martin Rice Farm in the Missouri Bootheel, and came back with 200 :biggrin: pounds, at 25 cents a pound.

It is a long way down there--2 hours--and I take orders from all the folks up here and bring back a truck load. I bought basmati and jasmine, and it is a hard choice to pick which one to cook. I kept 25 pounds of each. Both are fragrant and very flavorful. They also have Baldo, which is a shorter grained rice, and Arborio.

sparrowgrass

you can also steam rice with half water half unsweetened coconut milk and panadan leaf (i think) for the coocnut rice for nasi lemak.  but that's a whole other story.

Anna N, if you get a chance to go to a Malaysian restaurant, give Nasi Lemak a try(literally, fatty/oily rice). It will usually come with all sorts of spicy sides, but have a taste of just the rice. You may be surprised. If you don't like spicy food, I think most places will let you order just the nasi lemak rice.

Pandan leaf, also known as screwpine leaf, and is available from SE Asian grocers.

Another favorite of mine is chicken rice. Hainanese chicken rice is also a popular Malaysian dish.

It starts with rendering some chicken fat (a lot of it if you want a lot of flavor). Chicken broth, with salt, ginger and the rendered fat are used instead of water to cook the rice.

Malayasian restaruant? Hmmmmmmm I'm lucky to make it to McD's twice a year! But thanks for the suggesiton. That Hainanese chicken rice recipe, however, looks like a "must try".

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog