• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Sandwich

Daniel

This time of year nothing beats sliced tomatoes and mayo on good white bread. Preferably eaten outside or over the sink.

You are so right, Squeat. I've been eating tomato sandwiches for two weeks now. Gorgeous, sweet, meaty beefsteak tomatoes on mayo covered Oroweat Honey Wheat Berry Bread (before you pounce on me, try it). Sprinkling of salt. Awesome.

The only thing that improves on the above is spreading one side of the bread with leftover duck fat in which you just cooked a foie gras. OhMyGod! :wub:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

You know, something should be said for the classic Edwardian tea sandwiches:

Thinly sliced English cucumbers with rich butter, seasoned well between good bread with the crusts sliced off. (This is better with a swipe of caviar (even lumpfish) or salmon roe). Watercress sandwiches, the same way. (Better with a bit of rare roast lamb or chevre or both.)

Great with tea.

Or chilled vodka.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Watercress sandwiches, the same way. (Better with a bit of rare roast lamb or chevre or both.)

Great with tea.

Or chilled vodka.

AMEN to that! Lamb, chevre & vodka ... that'd be my trinity.

DA

edited for spelling ... too much chevre :rolleyes:

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Toasted rye, leftover red beans and rice (fridge temperature - important so it'll hold together on the bread!) with a little fresh onion and chili pepper cut into it. Cheese is optional.

I am not proud of this.

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Walnut bread with good butter, thinly sliced gruyere cheese, dripping ripe tomatoes and sea salt.

Acme baguette with a little chipotle mayonnaise, roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella, and basil (pickles and good potato chips on the side, please).

Toasted homemade pita with egg salad -- but only my mother's egg salad recipe will do. It's got sauteed mushrooms and onions and loads of dill, and everything is chop-chop-chopped into a coarse caviar-size texture. It is drier and fluffier than ordinary egg salad, and I love it.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

After reading this, my stomach demands a sandwich! I second gg mora's jambon/fromage/beurre combo, as well as all the avocado suggestions.

But my favorites to make are:

Hummus, roasted asparagus, and smoked turkey

or

Apples, sharp cheddar, sliced dark whole grain bread (the kind with actual bits of seeds and nuts in it)

My GF turned me on to toasted wheat with cashew butter and rasberry preserves.

Wow. Wowie wow, wow wow wow.

If you like that, try a Fluffernutter (also known as peanut butter and goosh) :biggrin:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I never used to really like sandwiches when I was a kid and then I figured out why--

1) I hated the bread my mom used (Branola)

2) I don't really care for cold sandwiches, as someone mentioned early on. Cold sandwiches are so blah, you can taste each thing separately but not together so much. I usually take apart cold sandwiches and just eat the insides because I feel bread on cold sandwiches is just something that holds the insides together.

Put the same cold sandwich on the grill or in a pan with olive oil or butter and it's so much better. Everything blends.

The bread has to be either really soft (I like Pepperidge Farm soft whole wheat) or really crunchy (like a baguette) but not dry, or crumbly.

There was a sandwich at this little shop where I grew up. I believe it was avocado, melted cheese and bean sprouts on cracked wheat bread. I'd forgotten about it until someone mentioned avocado in sandwiches somewhere early in this thread. And to think I've just been making guacamole :shock:

I really like chacareros. Light and tender bread filled with grilled meat of choice, topped with steamed green beans, jalapenos, optional mild cheese like Muenster, tomatoes, avocado spread, salt and pepper, optional hot sauce. If they'd work a pickle in there I'd be in heaven.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Thanksgiving: Sliced Stuffing with mayo cranberry sauce and turkey (no bread)

Christmas: Roast (rare) beef on rye with butter

St Pat's day: Corned beef on rye with the least amount of mustard and a little cole slaw

Easter: Well buttered New York style rye bread with thinly sliced ham and lettuce

Memorial Day: Salmon Filet still orange in middle on hamburger bun with Salad Cream and lettuce

4th of July: Big juicy grilled hamburger with grilled onions and ripe tomato

Labor Day: Grilled Italian (spicy) sausage with grilled onions and peppers

Halloween: Grilled open face cheddar cheese on Acme's sour dough bread.

Sort of backwards listing of holidays but I was considering the turkey and stuffing sandwich.

I also agree with James Beard on the wonderfulness of onion sandwiches

Hi folks,

I am a new member and have to say I have spent a lot of time enjoying your conversations, opinions and wonderful cooking ideas. We have a cuban restaurant here in town that used to make my favorite sandwich:

1 half-baguette, slathered on the inside with cilantro pesto

2 cuban-spiced grilled chicken breasts

canadian bacon

grilled pineapple

cheese optional

then baked for a few minutes to crisp the bread.

It was sooooo good...

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, apologies for that--I'm in Richmond, VA. Not too shabby for quality restaurant choices, especially for a city this size. The sandwich very well could have been pressed, but I honestly don't remember. That sounds like it wouldn't do anything but make it better, regardless of their original method. I do remember that the bread wasn't soft.

-Lauren

Richmond is a fun city - there are some good thrift stores there too.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the soft white cheese and chocolate on a baguette sandwich. It's the best cure for the 4pm blood sugar drop.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I just had a really delicious sandwich at this funky coffee shop near my university: avocado, fried egg, hot sauce, and sprouts on grilled flatbread with some yogurt type sauce along with it. Fab for my hangover.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I just had a really delicious sandwich at this funky coffee shop near my university: avocado, fried egg, hot sauce, and sprouts on grilled flatbread with some yogurt type sauce along with it. Fab for my hangover.

Still hung over at 4 pm.. Haha. Sound like a good night. :wacko: McDonalds and beer helps me.

• 2 years later...

I found this thread while looking for some lunch ideas. Wow. Great stuff on here!

With hopes of getting things rolling again, I'll add one I had at the Nearly Famous Deli in Springfield, MO, in 1977, and have loved ever since:

Onion roll, turkey, smoky Swiss cheese, mayo; heat it and add lettuce.

A local bar, the Artichoke (which does not serve artichokes at all) has the Nancy's Number 8, often described by locals as "the best sandwich on the planet":

Turkey, swiss, cream cheese, bacon, grilled on an onion roll, with tomato, shredded lettuce, Parmesan, and Italian dressing. Mmmmmmmmmmm :biggrin::cool:

I'd love to see more added to this list.

Glad you bumped this back up!

In case anyone (a) is still wondering what "sweet bologna" is and (b) didn't catch Lancastermike's foodblog, what he is referring to is the sweet variety of Lebanon bologna, a Pennsylvania Dutch specialty and God's gift to sandwich lovers. It's made from beef, and only beef, and it's much, much better than any ordinary bologna. (It looks more like salami than bologna. It also comes in a savory variety.)

Up there with Lebanon bologna in my pantheon is liverwurst. Four thin slices of liverwurst (use a cheese slicer adjusted to make a slice of medium thickness), a slice of cheese (any of the following: Cheddar, Swiss, Muenster), mustard and mayo. Maybe sliced onion too if I'm feeling adventurous.

Make this in the morning, take it to work with you, and don't put it in the fridge. By lunch time it will have reached room temperature, where you can experience all the flavors as they were meant to be.

Then there's this very simple and very good sandwich:

gallery_20347_2076_186008.jpg

This is a Stackey's Special, served at Stackey's sandwich shop, located just west of downtown Chester, Pa. It is composed of ham, capicola, provolone cheese and roasted peppers, available toasted or untoasted. Pure simplicity, pure bliss.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3