• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want it RAW!

SethG

I have read loving testimonials to what milk was like long ago. Really fresh, unpasteurized taste. Unhomogenized, with a big thick layer of cream on top.

Occasionally someone posts about a local farm where real raw milk can be bought... out there in the Red States somewhere.

Can I get it in NYC? I really want to taste milk that tastes like real milk should. I may not let my children have any, but I'm neither particularly old, young, or infirm, so what better time for me to brave Listeria than the present, right?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I wanted the same thing when I was making my own ricotta etc in LA. I found a supply through WholeFoods - they had an unpasturised, unhomogenised range. Otherwise, what about the green markets?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Seth,

It's illegal to sell raw milk in NY. However, it's not illegal to purchase raw milk and raw milk products in PA. This Organization has set up a club system which allows New Yorkers to legally get their hands on raw milk products, as well as other excellent farm products from PA. There are periodic deliveries in NY, at a designated location. I "purchased" some raw milk a few weeks ago from these guys. Slkinsey and I went to the LES to pick it up. It was superb, though wasted on a failed cheese-making session (my fault). I also turned picaman on to this source. If you would like more info., I can forward an e-mail from the raw milk folks.

What *I* want is milk and cream from brown cows - Jersey, Guernsey - which produce richer, more flavorful milk than Holsteins. But they produce less of it . I know they're being raised SOMEWHERE in the area, but where? And where can we get the milk and cream? This is an area (along with meat, which is at last improving a little) where the NYC Greenmarkets fall flat on their faces. If I ever see another Ronneybrook stand . . . .

This Organization has set up a club system which allows New Yorkers to legally get their hands on raw milk products, as well as other excellent farm products from PA.

Many thanks for that referral; I've joined, and will look forward to hearing details about the club/coop.

Just to make sure that I am understanding correctly-

You guys are talking about raw milk-like milk straight outta the cow-unpasteurized.

Not Creamline milk-milk that has been pasteurized but not homogenized.

Correct?

I buy creamline all of the time from Mauthe's Dairy in Folsom, LA and from Smith's Creamery in Mt Hermon, LA.

I love the unhomogenized milk and I am CRAZY about the unhomogenized cream. It is another world from that ultra pasteurized gunk that has become the norm.

This list of organic dairies might be a good place to start your search.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

It's illegal to sell raw milk in NY.

Okay, explain this to a Californian... WHY did New York make raw milk illegal???

I believe that it is also illegal in CA.

I've been buying it for years -- according to this site, this is a list of the states that do and do not offer raw milk.

And, after googling a bit, I've learned a lot -- not realizing it WAS illegal in certain states! (go figure).

I've been buying it for years -- according to this site, this is a list of the states that do and do not offer raw milk.

And, after googling a bit, I've learned a lot -- not realizing it WAS illegal in certain states! (go figure).

That's awesome!

I live in the Bay area... Where do you get it?

Well, assuming this information in Carolyn's post is correct, in NY one would have to buy raw milk from a farm with a permit. The same seems to be true in PA. Apparently, the Weston group has a relationship with a PA farmer. To abide by the law, the Weston folks require that club members "buy" the milk at the farm by calling in their orders and sending a check directly to the farmer in PA before the local pick-up date.

BTW, while the milk is not pasteurized, it is homoganized.

That's awesome!

Well I am up here in Napa -- I get it at either Vallergas Market in Napa or Sonoma Market in Sonoma. That probably doesn't help you if you are in the city...

This is all very helpful! I'm excited about the possibility of buying raw milk (perhaps legally, perhaps not!), and the prospect of arranging a drop-off at an undisclosed location gives me an extra little thrill.

I was interested in both unpasteurized and unhomogenized, but I'm game to try different variations-- I recall reading somewhere that typical pasteurized milk has to be homogenized, because if it weren't, the customer would see just how little cream has been left in the milk. I imagine that the unhomogenized "Creamline" milk mentioned above would have more cream left in it (hence its name?) and more flavor.

I also find this Jersey/Guernsey thing interesting. If I'm not mistaken, there's a state close to New York City that ought to have quite a few "Jersey" cows. Has a bottom-line-driven, maximum production strategy driven most such cows out of the Garden State?

Most folks seem to buy raw milk in order to make cheese. Am I crazy to want to buy some to drink? All kidding about listeria aside, isn't it safe if it's handled right and drunk while fresh?

That's awesome!

Rainbow Grocery in the City often has raw milk.

When we can get it, we have raw unpasturized milk from Claravale Farm.

Claravale Farm page.

Hope this helps.

Squeat

Edit: Also check this out: Where can I find real milk?

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Some people drink fresh, raw milk and believe it has almost mystical healing properties. Raw milk is unavailable in my area, and I don't drink milk anyway, but I'd be willing to try a cheesemaking project at some point, as long as we're keeping things hypothetical.

If it's legal to sell raw milk, then test results should be available from various dairy farms. You can compare a raw milk dairy with one which only sells pasturized, as well as with state standards. My understanding is that raw milk is held to a much higher standard than pasteurized, but my info may be no longer current.

Without this information, I'd just guess that (in general) listeriosis shouldn't be much of a problem for you, but for pregnant women and babies, the risk is greater.

I also find this Jersey/Guernsey thing interesting. If I'm not mistaken, there's a state close to New York City that ought to have quite a few "Jersey" cows. Has a bottom-line-driven, maximum production strategy driven most such cows out of the Garden State?

Pequea Valley Farm, which is somewhere in Lancaster county here in PA, raises Jerseys. They are grass fed and out in the pasture now, and while I haven't seen the milk from them, I've been buying their Jersey Gold Butter this summer--it's the yellowest butter I've ever seen, and probably the sweetest. I want to eat it on everything.

Pequea Valley Farm, which is somewhere in Lancaster county here in PA, raises Jerseys. They are grass fed and out in the pasture now, and while I haven't seen the milk from them, I've been buying their Jersey Gold Butter this summer--it's the yellowest butter I've ever seen, and probably the sweetest. I want to eat it on everything.

I knew this thread was going to make me envious.

This is from realmilk.com:

By executive order, it is forbidden to transport raw milk across state lines.

Just throwing that out there.