• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who makes the best Mojito in town

Cafe Atlantico, or so I've heard.

I like the ones served at Habana Village in Adams Morgan (though it's a total dive). They serve mojitos with a fresh stalk of sugar cane to chew on which is a great touch, IMHO.

But my real favorite? Caipirinhas at Rumba Cafe.

Jenny's nailed it. Atlantico for fancy, Habana for funky. Invest in a couple on your next date and you're in like Flynn. Much beyond that, beware, unless you fancy holding someone's hair back for the rest of the evening.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I'm not the world's greatest authority on Mojito's or any other mixed drink, but see the thread on Yuca: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=44089 (I still haven't figured out how to put the actual URL into a word the way all the other eGulleteers do :sad: ).

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Mrs. Busboy, though she makes a bastard version that includes cucumber juice (it's as close to a mojito as most things called martinis these days are to the original cocktail). Brutally refreshing.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Mrs. Busboy, though she makes a bastard version that includes cucumber juice (it's as close to a mojito as most things called martinis these days are to the original cocktail). Brutally refreshing.

Mojito with cucumber juice? Interesting. How about a smoothy with yogurt. Hmm.. yogurt, mint, cucumber -- that would make it a Mojito/Raita :laugh:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Mrs. Busboy, though she makes a bastard version that includes cucumber juice (it's as close to a mojito as most things called martinis these days are to the original cocktail).  Brutally refreshing.

this sounds good even at ten in the morning!

I am told this is the recipe:

Blenderize until pureed:

2 cucumbers seeded and cubed,

juice of 3 or so limes,

simple syrup to taste (or super fine sugar)

2 -3 cups of Cold Water.

Strain or not.

Muddle handful of fresh mint in bottom of nice crystal glass

Add ice, rum and cucumber mixture with rum/cuke ratio something like 1/1.5 or 1/2, depending on taste.

A little experimentation will yield your preferred ratio -- best get into the lab as soon as possible.

Best if enjoyed by the pool.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

The first mojito I ever had was at Cafe Atlantico, and I haven't had a better one yet...but I do keep trying. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Blenderize until pureed:

juice of 3 or so limes,

2 -3 cups of Cold Water.

Strain or not.

Add ice, rum and cucumber mixture with rum/cuke ratio something like 1/1.5 or 1/2, depending on taste.

A little experimentation will yield your preferred ratio -- best get into the lab as soon as possible.

Busboy, thanks!

I think mojitos at home are some of the best.

I'm headed to a mojito-inspired dinner thing on Sat and I'm in charge of the cocktail. Will file report :smile: .

On the other hand, I had two Hemingway mojitos at Ceiba last night, which I liked because of the name (ernesto and I share a birthday), but it wasn't as good as the ones I've had at Rumba Cafe or DG. Also, like the mojito martini at Firefly, but it has to be made by chef.

From Wegman's Menu Magazine (Summer 2004):

1 lime

20 fresh mint leaves

4 tsp superfine sugar

6 oz (3/4 cup) Bacardi Limon

1 bottle (1 liter) club soda

crushed ice

1. Cut lime in 8 wedges; squeeze juice into pitcher. Add mint leaves, sugar, and lime rinds.

2. Muddle using muddler or back of large spoon.

3. Add limon and club soda; stir well. Serve over crushed ice in tall glasses. If desired, garnish with mint sprigs and sugar can sticks.

Serves 4

They also have a Watermelon Mojito with 1 1/2 cups pureed seedless watermelon added to the lime juice, mint leaves 2 tsp sugar and lime rinds. This uses light rum (6 oz) instead of Bacardi Limon.

YUM!

Blenderize until pureed:

juice of 3 or so limes,

2 -3 cups of Cold Water. 

Strain or not.

Busboy, thanks!

I'm headed to a mojito-inspired dinner thing on Sat and I'm in charge of the cocktail. Will file report :smile: .

All thanks due to the Mrs, who discovered the drink in Denver and, like Marco Polo bringing noodles to Italy, carried the recipe back to DC, where we have made it our own.

I'm on the pavement

Blenderize until pureed:

juice of 3 or so limes,

2 -3 cups of Cold Water. 

Strain or not.

Busboy, thanks!

All thanks due to the Mrs, who discovered the drink in Denver and, like Marco Polo bringing noodles to Italy, carried the recipe back to DC, where we have made it our own.

She needs to show off her mojito talents at the next eG picnic, if not sooner.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Can you believe our baby sitter bailed on us.. so we could not go. Now I am hoping to do this in a few weeks.. and will surely keep you posted.

also not entirely the best some some really cool and HUGE mojitos can be found at Thaiphoon.. and I love them!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Blenderize until pureed:

juice of 3 or so limes,

2 -3 cups of Cold Water. 

Strain or not.

Busboy, thanks!

Tell the Mrs. I want a rain check. I'll even bring my special corporate mint and cucumbers.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Todd Thrasher at Restaurant Eve was telling me last night that he makes the best mojitos in town.

I was thinking that might be the case...

You didn't ask for one?

So, does Eve have deviled eggs too?

You didn't ask for one?

I don't do mojitos. But Todd has this fermented pineapple skin stuff going on behind the bar. Very interesting.

And as for Eve having deviled eggs, I didn't see any on the menu. But I'll bet if you asked the chef, he could whip some really good ones up in no time. I'm curious why your curious about deviled eggs at Eve??? I don't get the connection with mojitos.

You didn't ask for one?

I don't do mojitos. But Todd has this fermented pineapple skin stuff going on behind the bar. Very interesting.

And as for Eve having deviled eggs, I didn't see any on the menu. But I'll bet if you asked the chef, he could whip some really good ones up in no time. I'm curious why your curious about deviled eggs at Eve??? I don't get the connection with mojitos.

Goodness, I didn't know pineapples went into mojitos. Subtle cool cucumbers, I can see, absorbing the (traditional) intensity of flavor and adding a little at the same time. But PIÑA!? Sure that's for a mojito?

As for my obsession with deviled eggs (half joking), there are a few reasons for that. One is that I like the little suckers, but another is that I see them on menus now more than I can ever remember.

I've eaten deviled eggs in some fine restaurants. Some are much better than others, some ridiculously expensive, some with truffles, some regular and honest...

But to make good deviled eggs, you have to have soul. I know Irish people have soul, so I'm not that worried about Eve.

"Joycean Eggs"

And finally, I have personally, and personality goes a looooonnnnng way.

You didn't ask for one?

Goodness, I didn't know pineapples went into mojitos. Subtle cool cucumbers, I can see, absorbing the (traditional) intensity of flavor and adding a little at the same time. But PIÑA!? Sure that's for a mojito?

As for my obsession with deviled eggs (half joking), there are a few reasons for that. One is that I like the little suckers, but another is that I see them on menus now more than I can ever remember.

I've eaten deviled eggs in some fine restaurants. Some are much better than others, some ridiculously expensive, some with truffles, some regular and honest...

But to make good deviled eggs, you have to have soul. I know Irish people have soul, so I'm not that worried about Eve.

"Joycean Eggs"

And finally, I have personally, and personality goes a looooonnnnng way.

Perhaps you should exlore the "devilishly good eggs" at Ray's the Steaks.