• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add link

47 minutes ago, fondue said:

Yes!!  Used to go out of my way all the time to eat here!!  Called "Taste of India" out in the middle of nowhere.  Many times observed Hindi-speaking semi truck drivers getting large chai to go.  Fantastic food.  Incongruous location.

Here in Madagascar our local gas station sells everything from baguettes, to cake slices, to pork or poultry baozi, which are kept in a small steamer on the counter.  My son loves them. At 30 cents apiece, I can almost keep up with his appetite for them!

Thanks for resurrecting @Darienne's comment from some years back and adding your own as it gives me a chance to share this LA Times article: Sikh drivers are transforming U.S. trucking. Take a ride along the Punjabi American highway.  It's not a food article but food certainly plays a role.

And: How a rural Oklahoma truck stop became a destination for Sikh Punjabis crossing America

Also this background piece: Behind the Story: On a search for Sikh truckers

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

38 minutes ago, fondue said:

Yes!!  Used to go out of my way all the time to eat here!!  Called "Taste of India" out in the middle of nowhere.  Many times observed Hindi-speaking semi truck drivers getting large chai to go.  Fantastic food.  Incongruous location.

Here in Madagascar our local gas station sells everything from baguettes, to cake slices, to pork or poultry baozi, which are kept in a small steamer on the counter.  My son loves them. At 30 cents apiece, I can almost keep up with his appetite for them!

Thanks for resurrecting @Darienne's comment from some years back and adding your own as it gives me a chance to share this LA Times article: Sikh drivers are transforming U.S. trucking. Take a ride along the Punjabi American highway.  It's not a food article but food certainly plays a role.

Also this background piece: Behind the Story: On a search for Sikh truckers